7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2008 1:13 PM by Peter Grainge

Windows Vista/Microsoft Access 2003

Vernon Robinson
      I am using Microsoft Access to open my HTML help. I have assigned the Help IDs to Robohelp and also to the Access forms. The correct help page opens when I press F1 from Access. But the Contents/Index/Search pane along with Folder navigation are all missing. This is under Windows Vista. Vista is currently patched, using Robhohelp 7, and Access 2003 SP3. The help file opens with the Contents/Index/Search Pane minimized but the navigation topics are visible when clicked on directly from Windows Explorer.

Help. This is my first help file and I need it to be done. I bought Robohelp because of it's reputation as the best tool. I need more knowledge.

Thanks,
      -Vernon
        • 1. Re: Windows Vista/Microsoft Access 2003
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Hi Vernon. Whether the TOC, Index, etc. displays is controlled by the call from the application. It has nothing to do with RH. That said, I am not a developer so can't really help further. You could try looking for something at this link that has lots of info along these lines.
          • 2. Re: Windows Vista/Microsoft Access 2003
            Vernon Robinson Level 1
            Thanks for the response. I have read the threads and have googled for more leads. I am getting two different responses between Access 2000 and Access 2003. In 2000 It displays the help properly but the Index/Search tabs contain content from Access 2000 help, not MyProject.chm. The correct window help is displayed from MyProject.chm. In Access 2003 it does not display the TOC/Search/Index tabs. The Access 2000 behavior is explained in one of the links provided. The workaround is to provide a hook for the F1 key and call the Helpfile manually. They provided the code and it is also provide in Microsoft MKSB 271390. I have created the Autokey macro to hook F1 and call the custom function, but the application seems to be ignoring the F1 key hook to the Autokey macro. The reason that I know this is because I put a pause in the start of the function and it never gets there. Any other ideas that I can try?

Thanks,
            -Vernon
            • 3. Re: Windows Vista/Microsoft Access 2003
              Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
              Vernon

The problem is not with RoboHelp. I had problems with Access 97! I think I eventually found the answer in the help for Access and I wonder if you have looked there. My thinking is that you might not have done so thinking this is a RH problem.

Another place to point you is http://wopr.com and click the link for Woody's Lounge. Post your question on their Access forum. I don't know quite how effective that one is but the Word forum is one of the best anywhere. Hope the Access one is as good.

Sorry I cannot provide the answer you want but hopefully this may help you find it.

• 4. Re: Windows Vista/Microsoft Access 2003
                Vernon Robinson Level 1
                Peter,
                Thanks for the suggestions. I have learned a couple of things. First in Access, a macro named AutoKeys is not the same as Autokeys. This was preventing my hook of the F1 key from working. Now I seem to be able to open the help file and it has the correct data on the search tabs. But my problem now is that when the HTML help opens, the contents/index/search panel is set to show, but the width is set to zero. As a result, the user is not aware that the Table of contents, Index, or searching capability is there. I am calling windows HTMLHelp function with a window type HH_HELP_CONTEXT which is (15) in decimal. Should I be passing another value or is there a variable controlling window position, Hidden/Show, etc.?
                • 5. Re: Windows Vista/Microsoft Access 2003
                  Vernon

Glad you have made some progress but again I cannot give you an answer. My expertise is with areas other than CHM files. I am sure someone will come along shortly able to advise you on this.

• 6. Re: Windows Vista/Microsoft Access 2003
                    Vernon Robinson Level 1
                    Peter,
                    Thanks for the response. Should I be using something other than HTML help? How difficult would it be to generate and attach web help to the application. Seems that the generation is easy enough. I am not sure how to call web help from within the application. Is this a possible solution?

Thanks again,
                    -Vernon
                    • 7. Re: Windows Vista/Microsoft Access 2003
                      It might be possible but I wouldn't say it was right. An Access database is presumably going to be locally installed rather than server based. CHMs (HTML help) are for local installation so that's the way to go. I suspect you will get more help tomorrow.