3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2013 12:37 PM by Matinciel

Auto trace using only 17% of CPU and slowing down

Matinciel

Hi there,

So I got a sequence with a keylight effect, then I want to use auto-trace function.

The source is a 1080p mp4 but the effect is applied on about a quarter of the surface (that's to say I use a mask to cover the area I don't want to process)

The length is about 16 minutes.

Everything start smoothly frames are processed quiet well maybe 10 every 5 seconds and then it slows up after about three hours of processing I got maybe one frame per 5 seconds.

I've activated multriprocessing with 3 GB reserved for other programs. 1.5GB per core, it says 7 cores will be used.

You could refer screen capture below for CPU / Memory / Disk usage

My computer is :

CPU intel core I7 2600k

Asus p8z68-v pro/gen3

4x4 G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR1 - Mémoire SNIPER Series -  Dual Channel - DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800)  - 9-9-9-24-2N - 1.35V

GPU Asus GTX 670

After Effets CC

Any idea why it is so slow ? Should I get 32GB of RAM as it seems to be limiting my cpu ? Any way to use GPU instead ?

Thanks a lot for any advices !

CPU :

CPU.jpg

Memory :

RAM.jpg

Disks :

Diskusage.jpg

• 1. Re: Auto trace using only 17% of CPU and slowing down
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

MP4's aren't the most AE-friendly files on the planet.  What happens if you transcode to a lossless codec like a QT in PNG, or pehaps in DNxHD?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Auto trace using only 17% of CPU and slowing down
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Any way to use GPU instead ?

No.

> I've activated multriprocessing with 3 GB reserved for other programs.

That is not relevant for Auto-trace. The Auto-trace process is not a rendering process, so it's not going to be aided by the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing feature.

>

The source is a 1080p mp4 but the effect is applied on about a quarter of the surface (that's to say I use a mask to cover the area I don't want to process)

The length is about 16 minutes.

Everything start smoothly frames are processed quiet well maybe 10 every 5 seconds and then it slows up after about three hours of processing I got maybe one frame per 5 seconds.

You're exhausting the RAM in the system and likely swapping the contents of RAM to the hard disk, which is a real performance killer.

Process the video in smaller pieces. 16 minutes is a long video.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Auto trace using only 17% of CPU and slowing down
              Matinciel Level 1

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this. I've reencoded my video to quick time and then render in AE => 30 minutes...

As proposed by Todd, I've cut the size of my project in two sequence that's help a bit.