10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2013 11:58 AM by A.T. Romano RSS

Gene

linessharp Community Member

With premiere Elements 10 how can I import a movie that has been digitized from film to a DVD?

• 1. Re: Gene
          Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

Put the DVD in your computer's disc drive and then use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From PC  DVD or DVD Camcorder to rip the video from the disc to your computer.

• 2. Re: Gene

I tried that and got a message "no supported device found". I than tried to download it directly by dragging it directly into elements and than into ogranizer. In each case it locked up my computer. I'm using an iMac running OS 10.8.

linessharp

• 3. Re: Gene

I've no idea why the Get Media tool wouldn't work on a Mac. It works on my Mac.

Nonetheless, you can still copy the VOB files from the disc to your hard drive and then use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Files and Folders to browse to them. (You can't drag the entire disc into Premiere Elemetns. You can only add the VOB files.)

This is all assuming, of course, that this is not a commercial disc or one that includes copy protection. Commercial DVDs include software to keep you from making copies of it or using it in an editing project.

• 4. Re: Gene
                A.T. Romano Community Member

SG

Just a question from a strictly Elements Windows user to an Elements Windows and Mac user....

If you put the DVD-VIDEO DVD into the burner tray of a Mac computer, do you have the same opportunity for Premiere Elements 10 Windows and Mac to use Get Media/"DVD Camcorder or PC DVD Drive"/Video Importer and then the Video Importer's Get Media? And, then have your VOBs on the Timeline?

ATR

• 5. Re: Gene

Yep. I just did it as a test on my iMac OSX 10.8.4 and it works exactly the same as it does on my PC.

• 6. Re: Gene

SG

Many thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Gene

That is what I had to do. I copied the files to my computer and than dragged the files into Elements. Thanks for the help. By the way, are the VOB files the only ones I need to bring in to Elements, there are other files on the disk?

Thanks Gene

• 8. Re: Gene

I was unable to use Get Media/DVD Cam... etc to work. I had to copy the files from the disk onto my computer and than bring them into elements. Trying to use Get Media/... gave me an error message "no supported device found". I'm using a new iMAC running OS 10.8 and am finding that many of the things I want to do are either unavailable (10.8 no longer includes iDVD) or are very awkward to do. I'm not happy with it.

linessharp

• 9. Re: Gene
                          John T Smith CommunityMVP

Also, Read Bill Hunt on editing a VOB file http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549

• 10. Re: Gene

linessharp

Thanks for the follow up on your information. One of these days I hope to get a first hand look at Premiere Elements Mac.

I will probably remain a dedicated Windows Premiere Elements user, but it my curiosity gene always gets the better of me.

Little by little I am building my Premiere Elements Mac how tos and looking forward to seeing how the how tos work in reality.

Continued success with your projects.

ATR