5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2013 4:45 PM by timsnapabbotsford

Losing preferences on CC update

timsnapabbotsford Level 1

I've updated InDesign CC three times now and each time I lose my modified preferences. Is this a bug? Is there a fix on the way?

Note that I do not lose my saved Workspace/panel locations. Just losing the modified preferences in the InDesign menu (Mac).

• 1. Re: Losing preferences on CC update
          Arpit Kapoor Adobe Employee

[Moved the discussion to InDesign Forum]

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Losing preferences on CC update
            PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

Looks like a permissions problem on the preferences folder. Does this happen everytime you quit InDesign and relaunch? If so, then try this:

1) Quit InDesign if running.

2) Navigate to Users/username/Library/Preferences/

3) Command+left-click on Adobe InDesign folder and select Get Info.

4) Expand the Sharing and Permissions panel and click on the lock icon on the bottom right to add your account and provide Read & Write access to your current account and

5) Add Administrator and Administrators to this panel and provide Read & Write access privileges.

6) Click on the Gear icon and click on  Apply to enclosed items.

7) Click on the Lock icon back and close the Get info window.

8) Relaunch InDesign and make changes in the preferences and restart InDesign again to check.

• 3. Re: Losing preferences on CC update

Thanks PrintFusion, I've adjusted my privileges for the ID folder and enclosed items. I won't be able to test however until another update is released.

No, I don't lose preferences upon relaunching. Only upon updating.

• 4. Re: Losing preferences on CC update
                PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

@timsnapabbotsford Thanks for the update. Next time you may want to take a backup of the preferences file before running an update. Take a backup of the following folder:

1) Finder > Go to folder > ~/Library

2) Library / Preferences / Adobe InDesign/ Version 9.0/

3) Copy en_US folder to the Desktop as a backup.

4) Now run the update for InDesign and if the prefs are lost, then overwrite the current en_US folder with the backed up folder on your desktop.

Hope that helps.

• 5. Re: Losing preferences on CC update

ah yep, good idea. I'll definitely do that to save some heartache!