4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2008 11:32 AM by Newsgroup_User

FileXtra4 problem - default folder doesn't work.

Level 7
      Don't know why this doesn't work, but the default folder setting in the
      FileXtra open/save dialogues doesn't seem to work as advertised. My code
      goes like so:

currentLevel = fxObj.fx_FileOpenDialog(the moviePath &
      "\Levels\","*.lvl","Load Level",False,True)

the moviePath & "\Levels\"
      should be the correct folder, but instead, it always defaults to My
      Documents for some reason. (When running as a projector. In Authoring
      mode, it defaults to the moviePath, but ignores my sub-folder.) Either way,
      it never gets it right the first time. The second time and subsequent
      times, it always goes to wherever you last opened something, but the first
      time is always wrong. I did notice that the example in their documentation:

put fxObj.fx_FileOpenDialog("C:\My Documents\", "Text Files/*.TXT","Choose a
      text file", True, True)

does use My Documents as its default, but I've changed that, so it should be
      going to the folder I pointed it at.

• 1. Re: FileXtra4 problem - default folder doesn't work.
          Level 7
          Without looking too deeply, I think I remember that, yes, it doesn't work.
          I usually end up using BuddyAPI for this.

Craig

"Darrel Hoffman" <no.address@all.com> wrote in message
          news:fm362a$ep7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Don't know why this doesn't work, but the default folder setting in the
          > FileXtra open/save dialogues doesn't seem to work as advertised. My code
          > goes like so:
          >
          > currentLevel = fxObj.fx_FileOpenDialog(the moviePath &
          > "\Levels\","*.lvl","Load Level",False,True)
          >
          > the moviePath & "\Levels\"
          > should be the correct folder, but instead, it always defaults to My
          > Documents for some reason. (When running as a projector. In Authoring
          > mode, it defaults to the moviePath, but ignores my sub-folder.) Either
          > way, it never gets it right the first time. The second time and
          > subsequent times, it always goes to wherever you last opened something,
          > but the first time is always wrong. I did notice that the example in
          > their documentation:
          >
          > put fxObj.fx_FileOpenDialog("C:\My Documents\", "Text Files/*.TXT","Choose
          > a text file", True, True)
          >
          > does use My Documents as its default, but I've changed that, so it should
          > be going to the folder I pointed it at.
          >

• 2. Re: FileXtra4 problem - default folder doesn't work.
            Level 7
            I don't know if this is your problem, but it may be an issue...

go into the message window and type this:

put the moviePath

It will tell you the path that it is using... but the important thing to
            note is that there is a backslash at the end...

In your code, you are taking the moviePath and adding "\Levels\" to it.
            That will lead to a double backslash between the moviePath and Levels.
            It could be the cause of your problem.

But I would take Craig's advise and use BuddyAPI instead. I have always
            had more consistently good results with it over FileXtra
            • 3. Re: FileXtra4 problem - default folder doesn't work.
              Level 7
              > In your code, you are taking the moviePath and adding "\Levels\" to it.
              > That will lead to a double backslash between the moviePath and Levels. It
              > could be the cause of your problem.

Nail on the head there. Thanks.

(Yes, I could use Buddy for this, but since I have the unregistered version,
              I can only use 2 functions in one movie, so I try to avoid using it unless
              there's really no other way. I'm already planning on using it for file
              encryption later, and that leaves me with just one discretionary function,
              for which something else may come up later. One of these days I'll get
              around to buying the full version, but I'm working on pretty much no budget
              here, and there's quite a few other things on my "to buy" list before that.)

• 4. Re: FileXtra4 problem - default folder doesn't work.
                Level 7
                > and there's quite a few other things on my "to buy" list before that.)

You'll find that once you /have/ bought it, you use it in every project
                and it becomes a huge time saver.