7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2013 8:37 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Using Razor Tool decreases video's quality ?

HoangPM311

Hi everyone,

I'm having this problem that I've been struggling with for 2 days now

I record a screen tutorial with BB Flashback Recorder, the output video from it is perfect (1920 x 1080), very clear!

When I put it in PPro CS5.5, the video becomes a little pixelated, but still acceptable. But just when I use the RAZOR TOOL, or a Video Transition on it, the resolution immediately becomes so bad that I can hardly read texts from the video!

I've also tried to record with other Frame size (1280x1080, 960x720...),  set the Playback Resolution and Pause Resolution to Full, make the clip Square Pixel, Progressive Scan... but nothing works.

Please anyone have any idea about this problem ?

• 1. Re: Using Razor Tool decreases video's quality ?
          Troy_w1 Level 1

Doesn't sound like usual behaviour , a couply of extra things to work out where your at;

What format\codec is the footage ?

What type of sequence, and what are the setting of your sequence ?

What is the framerate ?

Also

What are you playing the initial video with when you say it is very clear ?

A couple things i would immediatly look at, check your magnification of the program monitor is not more than %100.

Try RAM previewing your footage after you think it turns bad, or render out a 5-10 second sample and view that in your standard player.

Go through and double check your sequence settings that framrate, aspect ratio etc are all correct per your footage.

That's about all i can offer you for know without knowing some of the questions above.

Troy

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using Razor Tool decreases video's quality ?
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Usually this is a codec problem.

Most of the time Premiere does not like files produces with this kind of software.

analyze a clip and post it in treeview:

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

• 3. Re: Using Razor Tool decreases video's quality ?
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Do you have the Standard Edition, or just the free Express Edition?

The reason I ask is that the free version only supports AVI, which is a generic term for "Any kind of Video the Idiots put in there" (actually just Audio/Video Interleaved). Whereas, the Standard version allows you to export to H.264 which can generally be edited without problem in Premiere Pro.

Personally, I record with a free program called CamStudio-Recorder. I record to the Lagarith codec which is visually lossless and it edits like a dream. Slick as a whistle. Large files, but clean and sharp.

• 4. Re: Using Razor Tool decreases video's quality ?
                HoangPM311 Level 1

Yeah I use the standard version, and the footage I use is .AVI...  By the way, I did try the Lagarith codec that you mentioned, that make things seem better   Still working on the suggestions above,Thank you a lot

• 5. Re: Using Razor Tool decreases video's quality ?
                  HoangPM311 Level 1

Hi Troy,

Thank you for answer

The footage format I use is .AVI, framerate 24 fps, and the sequence setting is DVCPROHD 1080p 24:

Editing mode: P2 1080i/1080p 60Hz DVCPROHD

Timebase: 23.976fps

Video Settings

Frame size: 1280h 1080v (1.5000)

Frame rate: 23.976 frames/second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: DVCPRO HD (1.5) Fields: No Fields (Progressive Scan)

I play the initial video with Window Media Player (by "clear" I mean it looks exactly like the screen without recording) , I also try to play with Media Player Classic, not as good, but still ok.

I've tried setting magnification to 100%,  RAM previewing it, and rendering a short part... like you said, but it’s the same…

Hey but I find out this morning that if I set the “Interpret Footage” – “Pixel Aspect Ratio” to DVCPRO HD 1.5.. the problem with resolution and razor tool is gone, however, the video suffer from STRETCH…

• 6. Re: Using Razor Tool decreases video's quality ?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I record to the Lagarith codec which is visually lossless

Actually Lagarith is mathematically lossless, meaning bit for bit identical, whereas codecs like DNxHD and ProRes might be considered visually lossless, meaning there is some amount of degradation, but no one is likely to see it.

• 7. Re: Using Razor Tool decreases video's quality ?
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I stand corrected. I was trying to get the idea across and should have used less specific and identifiable terms.