2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2008 12:08 PM by Newsgroup_User

activeWindow and frontWindow

Level 7
      What is the difference between the activeWindow and the frontWindow. I have
      opened the message window while running my projector and I notice that even
      though I've opened an MIAW on top of the stage, the frontWindow gives me the
      MIAW path and the activeWindow gives me the stage.

But this is not consistent. Once in a while the activeWindow is the MIAW.
      I would have expected whatever window was on top would be the activeWindow.

Thanks.

Craig

• 1. Re: activeWindow and frontWindow
          Level 7
          As I understand it, the activeWindow is the one that currently has the
          focus of the execution engine (the one that's running lingo or events
          etc.) while the frontWindow is whichever is on top visually. There's no
          reason these are necessarily the same, and there's no reason they
          couldn't be.
          • 2. Re: activeWindow and frontWindow
            Level 7
            Sean, as always you come through. Just before I read your response, I
            realized that I was using a tell statement to access a handler in a shared
            cast. The activeWindow as you mention, in other words, is, at any point in
            time the window that is running the code. If a tell statement has one line
            of code that is directed at the stage the activeWindow will be the stage
            until the code returns to the window from where the tell was issued.

I went wrong by expecting the activeWindow to be the one on top and as you
            describe there's not necessarily a connection, but there could be.

Thanks again

Craig

"Sean Wilson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:fm38v1$hqt$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > As I understand it, the activeWindow is the one that currently has the
            > focus of the execution engine (the one that's running lingo or events
            > etc.) while the frontWindow is whichever is on top visually. There's no
            > reason these are necessarily the same, and there's no reason they couldn't
            > be.