6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2013 1:34 PM by Brian Goodall

PM6 files on XP machine to CS2 files on Windows 8

Brian Goodall

Hi All,

I have ended up here after reviewing allsorts of old responses to people struggling with their old PM6 files

I have stuck with my old XP based machines and PM6 as they did everything I needed and was not going to jump anywhere after the Vista debarcle

But I have now decided that i really did need to update so have jumped feet first into the Win8 fun & Games, I selected CS2 as Adobe on their site said it would handle PM6 files and

it was an economic way of converting after i decided there was no way of getting PM6 to work on my new machine, at the moment I stll have all my old stuff up and running and will continue to do so until i sort all of my changeover issues

basically no PM6 file will convert including simple ones and ones that I have "saved as" all of which still work in PM6 on the XP machine

I Have a catalgue i really really do not want to start from scratch on......................................................

So has anyone found a solution for this problem?????    pretty please ???

Thanks ( i hope) in advance

Brian

• 1. Re: PM6 files on XP machine to CS2 files on Windows 8
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Where did you find CS2, and did you actually get it to install on Windows 8?

I believe CS6, which is still currently available as either a perpetual license or through a Cloud subscription, can open PM6 files, with all the caveats I'm sure you've already seen about how bad the conversion is likely to be.

Frankly, in your postition, I'd recommend rebuilding from scratch. It may take a bit longer, but probably not much, and you'll be much happier going forward. If you do a lot of catlog work, you might even want to look into one of the commercial catlaog plugins for ID that can work from a database.

• 2. Re: PM6 files on XP machine to CS2 files on Windows 8
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Selected CS2? What does that mean? CS2 is ten years old, has not been sold since CS3 was released, is totally unsupported on Win8 and will not open PM files on anything newer than XP SP2.

• 3. Re: PM6 files on XP machine to CS2 files on Windows 8
              Brian Goodall Level 1

To be honest it was a bit of a punt as i wasnt convinced the new program would import the PM6 file it was a bundle ceative download, it downlaoded from the adobe site and it registered ok,  so seems legit, and yes it does run on the win 8

I have since loaded it to the xp machine but the same error occurs anyway so I am going to dump it from there, I may well have to keep the old pc going until i can find time to do the new catalogue from scratch ...

• 4. Re: PM6 files on XP machine to CS2 files on Windows 8
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

XP SP3 broke support for opening PM files in early versions of ID.

Really, though, CS6 is the way to go if you need to open them, but you won't find it for free. It sounds like you downloaded the non-activating version of CS2 that was posted for actual license holders to replace their activation versions after the activation servers were shut down. This technically is not for general use.

• 5. Re: PM6 files on XP machine to CS2 files on Windows 8
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This technically is not for general use.

It's not LEGALLY for general use either. It is for folks with older machines that purchased CS2 and need to continue running it.

• 6. Re: PM6 files on XP machine to CS2 files on Windows 8
                    Brian Goodall Level 1

ok  I purchased this in a creative bundle with a licence number and i registered it with adobe and got an email back from them so if its not legit I was certainly not aware and it was not flagged as such by adobe , i thought it was like when you used to be able buy old versions of corel and other big name programs for next to nothing or even get them free on a disc on a magazine. it looks like i will have to re think what i am going to do, and the simple way is just to keep a laptop going with my PM6 as it does all i want. I have Microsoft publisher but was trying not to have to start again and thought the early version of ID would convert and save me some work , i tried sometime back doing the conversion from PM6 to publisher but that was a car crash so didnt go that route.

Never mind thanks for the info in any case...