4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 12:39 AM by sebdea

IDML generated with InDesign CC

sebdea Level 1

Hi,

I am not sure whether is my error or some clients do not know how to handle some files. Is there a chance for InDesign CS4 to cannot open an IDML file generated with InDesign CC?

I am usually exporting an InDesign CC file as IDML. As far as I know any InDesign CS version down to CS4 (including it) should be able to open it.

Am I right? There are few clients that actually said they cannot open it. Now I am not sure whether they tried to open the InDesign file or the IDML. I am always downsave InDesign files to IDML just in case a client have an older version of InDesign. I am using InDesign CC for MAC.

For InDesign CS3 I know that it is imperative to open IDML with InDesign CS4 and then re-export it as INX.

Any input would be appreciate it.

Warm regards,

Sebastian

Message was edited by: sebdea

• 1. Re: IDML generated with InDesign CC
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is CS4 patched to 6.0.6?

• 2. Re: IDML generated with InDesign CC
            sebdea Level 1

Well, I have no informations about that. I will recommend my client to check and update it in case is not.

So far I received three complains regarding IDML files. But two of them were from translators that were using Trados and DVX. For both I found turnarounds solutions on a forum for translators. Turned out that at least Trados doesn't have a support for IDML files generated by InDesign CC. At least not yet.

The last complain I just receive it yesterday and I was especially surprised as in my email I advised the client to use IDML to open the project as I knew they have an older version. Didn't knew how old.

Thank you for your support. Will keep you up to date in case they still have issues.

Warm regards,

Sebastian

• 3. Re: IDML generated with InDesign CC
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The theory is that all versions from CS4 forward should be able to open .idml from any version, but I won't swear it's true in practice. We've had some other similar reports with .idml from CC. I'd check to see it the .idml will reopen in CC, and in CS5 or 6, too. It could just be bad.

• 4. Re: IDML generated with InDesign CC
                sebdea Level 1

No. The client made the necessary updates and it worked. Thank you very much.

Sebastian