Howdy, I'm new to the forum and couldn't find a topic that
addressed this issue, so I'll go ahead and ask...
We call our Help system from within a desktop app (both win
and mac). On the win side, it's very straight forward...we just
launch the chm file and it all works great. On the mac side, we
have been mostly(*) successful calling the webhelp output using
Pure HTML, but when we tried to launch the same file using Leopard,
we ran into trouble (content not visible, and it complains that we
are not connected to the internet [we are]). It seems to be related
out of the head file and just put some text in there, the help
system will display the text, and it does not complain about not
being on the web.
I have found that if I use a 3rd party software to convert
the chm file to webhelp output, it seems to work in our software on
all OSX machines. I'd prefer to not have to use a 3rd party
converter, but will if necessary.
Am I the only one who has had trouble producing an
application help output that works on all mac OS's 10.2 and higher?
(*) The one problem with the WebHelp output that is giving me
fits on pre-leopard is that the search pane is a mess...instead of
a nice search field, it shows a modified (munged) index with
numbers that correspond to pages containing that keyword. This is
not my primary worry right now, but thought I'd throw it out there
too. Maybe I'll get a twofer :)
You could use RH to decompile the chm and generate WebHelp.
The search and index functions in Windows use some DHTML
techniques that Microsoft invented in IE 5 -- 5.5, actually. What
you see on a Mac is the alternative display written for browsers
earlier than IE 5 and Netscape 6 in Windows.
You've reminded me I should take something home and try it in