2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2008 10:39 AM by sspen

WebHelp on Leopard

sspen
      Howdy, I'm new to the forum and couldn't find a topic that addressed this issue, so I'll go ahead and ask...

We call our Help system from within a desktop app (both win and mac). On the win side, it's very straight forward...we just launch the chm file and it all works great. On the mac side, we have been mostly(*) successful calling the webhelp output using Pure HTML, but when we tried to launch the same file using Leopard, we ran into trouble (content not visible, and it complains that we are not connected to the internet [we are]). It seems to be related to the javascript that is in the output, because when we strip it out of the head file and just put some text in there, the help system will display the text, and it does not complain about not being on the web.

I have found that if I use a 3rd party software to convert the chm file to webhelp output, it seems to work in our software on all OSX machines. I'd prefer to not have to use a 3rd party converter, but will if necessary.

Thoughts?

Am I the only one who has had trouble producing an application help output that works on all mac OS's 10.2 and higher?

(*) The one problem with the WebHelp output that is giving me fits on pre-leopard is that the search pane is a mess...instead of a nice search field, it shows a modified (munged) index with numbers that correspond to pages containing that keyword. This is not my primary worry right now, but thought I'd throw it out there too. Maybe I'll get a twofer :)
        • 1. Re: WebHelp on Leopard
          HKabaker Level 2
          You could use RH to decompile the chm and generate WebHelp.

The search and index functions in Windows use some DHTML techniques that Microsoft invented in IE 5 -- 5.5, actually. What you see on a Mac is the alternative display written for browsers earlier than IE 5 and Netscape 6 in Windows.

You've reminded me I should take something home and try it in Leopard.

Harvey
          • 2. Re: WebHelp on Leopard
            sspen Level 1
            Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a shot.