7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 11:48 AM by EricMeier612378675

Page numbering conundrum

EricMeier612378675

I'm currently working on a hymnal where I will be importing roughly 800 PDFs, with each imported document being a page or two of sheet music. I have it set up in ID as a book, with a few dozen files serving as chapters.

Page numbering is where things get difficult. On average, each song is one page, but there are several instances where the songs are two pages. As for page numbering, I'd want it to be automatic, so that the numbers will change as I add or remove songs, and so the index gets updated automatically as well. However, I can't think of a way for the page numbers to skip a page at certain intervals to accommodate the two-page songs. Basically, each song will have its own number, so it's not strictly page numbering in a traditional sense.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Page numbering conundrum
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Put the page numbers on a master page, and about music pages you can select it on page panel then mouse right click Apply Master to Pages>Apply Master>None

• 2. Re: Page numbering conundrum
            EricMeier612378675 Level 1

I've put the page numbering on a master page, but when I remove the master from the pages I don't want numbered, it simply removes the number from the page, but the number sequence continues on the next page as if the page was still counted towards the total. I'm trying to fool InDesign into thinking that these pages aren't part of the numbering sequence, and still have it number them automatically.

So, for example, let's say I have a two page song, and then a one page song on a total of three pages. Right now, these three pages would be numbered as 1, 2, 3. Doing what you suggested results in the three pages getting numbered as: 1, [blank], 3.

I want it so that the numbering for these three hypothetical pages would be 1, [blank], 2.

• 3. Re: Page numbering conundrum
              Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Select the pages that after pages music and mouse right click select Numbering and Section Option>Start Page Numbering at:

section.jpg

• 4. Re: Page numbering conundrum
                Michael Gianino Level 4

EricMeier612378675 wrote:

I want it so that the numbering for these three hypothetical pages would be 1, [blank], 2.

What purpose does that serve? If I pick up your hymnal and I want to go to a hymn on page 64, I would expect to go to the 64th page of the hymnal, and that it will be on the left side of the spine. If you were to start the book with the configuration you suggested in your hypothetical example, page 64 would be on the 63rd page of the book, and it would be on the right.

The more traditional way to do this is to let each page be numbered consecutively, and to apply a blank master page to any page that requires a blank page for page-turn issues. For example:

Screen shot 2013-09-19 at 1.40.07 AM.png

…in this screenshot, red pages are single-page hymns and yellow pages are two-page hymns. You want a two-page hymn to be on facing pages so that the reader doesn't have to turn the page in the middle of the hymn, so you need a blank page on page 3 to force the third hymn to skip the third page. To do that, you apply None as the master to page 3, which hides the page number, but the third page still exists, so it should be counted as page 3. That's why the next page displays 4 as the page number.

It sounds a little like you're trying to number the hymns instead of the pages. You can do that, but doing it with the page numbering system isn't the best way. If that's what you want, I can suggest a way that's better, but I don't want to clutter up the thread if that's not what you want, so please come back and tell me and I'll describe it.

• 5. Re: Page numbering conundrum

"It sounds a little like you're trying to number the hymns instead of the pages."

Yes, Michael, that's exactly what I want to do, basically number the hymns. It just so happens that most hymns were about one page long, so I thought I could just fudge the page numbering system a bit to get it to work. Maybe this isn't the best way to do it? I just need flexibility in case I decide to add or remove hymns, that the numbering will automatically update itself.

FWIW, hymnals nearly always reference hymn numbers, not page numbers. Some hymns might be two or three "pages" long, though actual page numbers are never used in a traditional sense. Sometimes there might be three hymns that span only two pages, something I've avoided in my current project. But hymnals make use of every square millimeter of space, with no blank pages inserted.

Here's a good example:

http://archive.org/stream/pilgrimhymnalwit00noye#page/n27/mode/2up

• 6. Re: Page numbering conundrum
                    Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Are you trying paragraph style numbering

page2.jpg

• 7. Re: Page numbering conundrum

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for!