8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2013 2:12 PM by A.T. Romano

A mirrored effect applied to a video

Patt/Trish

Is it possible to up load a video into Elements and flip the video horizontally so that there is a mirrored effect?

• 1. Re: A mirrored effect applied to a video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, there is no automatic way to do it. But I show you a multistep process for doing it in my special effects book.

http://muvipix.com/cooltricks11.php

You can see an example of the effect on this page. Click on the projector icon on the left side of the page. It's one of the effects samples.

Is that the effect you want?

• 2. Re: A mirrored effect applied to a video
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Patt/Trish

I am not sure if I have misintepreted your question since SG writes

Well, there is no automatic way to do it. But I show you a multistep process for doing it in my special effects book.

But, to the contrary, there seems to me to be an easy quick and automatic (apply an effect) way to do a "mirrored effect".

If you have Premiere Elements 11 (works for Windows not sure if Mac has this - I do not see Mirror listed as Windows Only so....)

Expert workspace

fx Effects

Distort

Mirror Effect

Also, Adobe writes

The Mirror effect creates a mirror image of the clip and places the center of its side at a pivot point you specify. You can make both the location of the pivot point and the reflection angle change over time.

Reflection Center
            Setting the first value determines the horizontal location of the pivot point. Setting the second determines its vertical location.
            Reflection Angle
            Setting this value determines the angle at which the mirror image pivots at the pivot point.

Or, by mirrored, did you mean just the typical split screen effect.

ATR

• 3. Re: A mirrored effect applied to a video
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Good find. The effect is indeed available in the Mac version 11 also.

• 4. Re: A mirrored effect applied to a video
                Patt/Trish Level 1

I used Mac 11 free trial a while back, which of course has run out.  It wasn't until lately that I had an idea that would make climbing back into video editing worth the purchase for me. 

I want the video to appear as if I was watching a reflection of the video in a mirror.  Naturally, any words would appear backwards, but I'm not concerned about that.

As Steve Grisetti mentioned below, "The effect is indeed available in the Mac version 11 also." This really is a game changer as to whether or not I purchase the program. 

Many thanks to all who have taken the time to help me out.

Patt

• 5. Re: A mirrored effect applied to a video
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Patt/Trish

Tip: Adobe allows for only one tryout of a given version for an Adobe ID and computer environment. However, you might want to look at the tryout of the next version which should be coming out soon. And, then decide what you want to purchase...Premiere Elements 11 Mac or Premiere Elements 12 Mac (assuming 12 is the name of the new version).

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 6. Re: A mirrored effect applied to a video
                    Patt/Trish Level 1

Thanks, Romano, it was kind of you to share that tidbit with me.  I'll keep a watch for #12.

Patt

• 7. Re: A mirrored effect applied to a video
                      Patt/Trish Level 1

Oddly enough, I just realized that I can do a horizonal flip using Quicktime Pro 7.6.6. , which is fairly new to me from my G5 Mac QT 7.6.4.  And, now there is a Premiere Elements 12 vailable for free trial, which I would not have known if Romano hadn't  suggested it.

Thanks again,

Patt

• 8. Re: A mirrored effect applied to a video
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Patt/Trish

Everything there sounding very positive.

I have been working with the tryout of Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8 64 bit.

12 and 11 are essentially the same. If you want to check out what I have observed so far with 12, please check out my blog posts, one is First Look and one is named Daily Discoveries. Right now they are works in progress, but I am trying to pick up more speed in posting.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/premiere-elements-12-first-look-details.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe12-daily-discoveries.html

Difference Matte is in 12 and works the same and well in my versions 11 and 12 Windows. And the mirror effect is still there.

Versions 11 and 12 are very much alike, with a few new items.

Thanks for the update.

ATR.