5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2013 6:20 PM by Jim_Simon

Some clip markers disappear immediately after loading a project - any idea why?

DarrenKP

Hi everyone,

I had added a heap of clip markers to a sequence, but when I reopened the project, I many (but not all!) of the markers are missing.  As the project is loading, I briefly see all of the markers, but then many of them vanish.

I am using the latest, updated version of PPro CC and all of the source files are in the same location as they were at the time of saving the project.

Obviously, my timeline is set to show markers because I still have some showing.  The markers are also missing in the Source Monitor.

Does anyone have any idea how to get these markers to reappear?  I am really not looking forward to having to mark all of these clips again. 

Thanks for any help.

• 2. Re: Some clip markers disappear immediately after loading a project - any idea why?
          DarrenKP Level 1

Hi Jim,

In answer to your generic questions:

Version: PPro CC 7.0 (as stated, this is the latest version, all updates applied)

Footage: A mixture of Quicktime (Apple ProRes 422) and MPEG, both 1920x1080p, although the markers are only applied to the ProRes footage.

Error messages: None

What were you doing when the problem occured?:   As described, I was opening the project in which markers had previously been saved.  The markers were visible for a half second during loading, then the majority of them disappeared.

Has this ever worked before?:  I have had markers remain in place in some projects, and disappear in others.

What other software are you running?:  Open Office writer, Mozilla Firefox, McAfee antivirus software.

Third-party effects or codeces?: No. Adobe CC and CS6 only

Computer hardware:  Alienware17.  Intel Core i7-4800MQ.  32Gb RAM. NVidia GeForce GTX 780M.  I'm not sure what else could be relevant here.

FAQ list: Yes, I've checked, and searched and can't find an answer.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Some clip markers disappear immediately after loading a project - any idea why?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            Version: PPro CC 7.0 (as stated, this is the latest version, all updates applied)

Actually, 7.0.1 is the latest version.  Try updating.

markers are only applied to the ProRes footage.

I'm not a fan of QuickTime.  Any time anyone has any issue at all and QuickTime is involved, my standard recommendation is to remove QuickTime from the equation.  Try converting one of those QuickTime clips that loses markers to another format.  Then replace that in the sequence.  Does the problem still exist?  (You can work in a copy of the project if necessary.)

Open Office writer, Mozilla Firefox, McAfee antivirus software.

I have heard of conflicts with office software and Adobe software in the past, though it's been a while.  If the above test doesn't pan out, it might be worthwhile to run the office software on a second computer.

• 4. Re: Some clip markers disappear immediately after loading a project - any idea why?
              DarrenKP Level 1

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

I obviously don't know where to look for the version number for my

software, as it was updated the night before I posted my message and

Creative Cloud still shows my version as up to date.

I am editing on a high-spec laptop instead of a mid-spec desktop because I

need the mobility of a laptop.  Unfortunately, that also means that I need

to have at least basic office software on the same machine, if for no other

reason than to read and write instructions and notes about the editing

project.

It will take longer to convert, re-ingest, resync and then apply new

markers to the project than just to go back through and find all of the

markers and cut the clips on the spot, so I won't do that this time, but

will consider converting Quicktime video to another format at the start of

projects in the future in case that makes any difference. It's a shame

there doesn't seem to be a way to make the markers that are already visible

during loading stay visible.

Thanks for trying to help.

• 5. Re: Some clip markers disappear immediately after loading a project - any idea why?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                I obviously don't know where to look for the version number for my

software

For just about any program out there by any company, look in Help>About...

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a way to make the markers that are already visible during loading stay visible.

That's just it...they normally do, no user intervention required.  The conversion was suggested as a test, to see if indeed QuickTime is a factor in the abnormal behavior.