4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 2:49 PM by peter minneapolis

Running Header from Sequential Number List, In Design CS 5.5

ceencha Level 1

I'm trying to get a RUNNING HEADER that catches numbers (not page numbers) in a sequential list that spans my entire book.

Here's what I need:

http://youtu.be/SYrFMxN6dS8

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Running Header from Sequential Number List, In Design CS 5.5
          peter minneapolis Level 4

It's not clear if  your numbers are typed manually, or if they're auto-numbered either as part of the paragraph style, or by manually applying Typr > Bulleted and Numbered Lists > Apply Numbers.

Autonumbers with or without character styles applied, and character-styled content in nested-style paragraphs  are not available to running header text variables.

If your numbers are typed in manually and the character style is applied manually, they will appear in the running header. Sometimes when you first set this up and try it, the running header doesn't seem to recognize the text that's marked with the specified character style. If this happens, increase or decrease the page zoom, or page up/down, to wake up ID.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Ceencha wrote:

I'm trying to get a RUNNING HEADER that catches numbers (not page numbers) in a sequential list that spans my entire book.

Here's what I need:

http://youtu.be/SYrFMxN6dS8

Can anyone help?

• 2. Re: Running Header from Sequential Number List, In Design CS 5.5
            ceencha Level 1

Yes, they were auto-numbered as part of the paragraph style (Numbered Lists > Apply Numbers)

So that means I cannot make a header from them?

Does In Design allow character styles to be "caught" by a running header?  Or only 3rd party plugins?

• 4. Re: Running Header from Sequential Number List, In Design CS 5.5
              peter minneapolis Level 4

Ceencha wrote:

Yes, they were auto-numbered as part of the paragraph style (Numbered Lists > Apply Numbers)

So that means I cannot make a header from them?

Does In Design allow character styles to be "caught" by a running header?  Or only 3rd party plugins?

Sorry. I can see that I wasn't completely clear. ID's running header text variable won't capture the paragraph's auto-number, which is why it won't capture the character style applied to it.

My reference to the running header text variable not being able to capture character-styled text in a nested paragraph style may have been confusing, because it didn't apply here, though it is a similar shortcoming of the variable.

So, if you would like these abilities in some future InDesign, please add  your voice with a formal feature enhancement request here on the wishform: WISH

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

WISH