1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2011 1:50 PM by Stuart Wakefield

Gradient problem in Fireworks

heyaggi
      Hello.

I am having a serious problem with gradients in Fireworks.
      The display of every gradient looks like there is not enough quality so there will be visible stripes that makes it look insufficient. E.g. a simple box made with the Rectangle tool and a gradient preset looks like it´s a gif export with way to few colors.

I´ve tried three different computers and screens. I´ve checked my program configuration. I´ve searched the internet and I can´t find anything or anyone who seems to have a similar problem.

I´ve compared it to Photoshop and there it works perfectly.

It looks the same in Fireworks it self as it does if I try to export JPG - full quality.

All the three computers I´ve tried it on have CS3 on them. The fourth one though didn´t have this "bug", and that one had never seen CS3, instead I installed a trial of Macromedia Fireworks 8 and there it worked perfectly. And two of the computers I´m trying this on have previously had Fireworks 8 with no problem at all. But since then I have formatted them and put the operating system on from scratch.

Enough of explanation. Has anyone been through something similar or does anyone have an idea on how to resolve this problem of mine?

Every suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
          Level 7
          Operating system?

heyaggi wrote:
          > Hello.
          >
          > I am having a serious problem with gradients in Fireworks.
          > The display of every gradient looks like there is not enough quality so there
          > will be visible stripes that makes it look insufficient. E.g. a simple box made
          > with the Rectangle tool and a gradient preset looks like it´s a gif export with
          > way to few colors.
          >
          > I´ve tried three different computers and screens. I´ve checked my program
          > configuration. I´ve searched the internet and I can´t find anything or anyone
          > who seems to have a similar problem.
          >
          > I´ve compared it to Photoshop and there it works perfectly.
          >
          > It looks the same in Fireworks it self as it does if I try to export JPG -
          > full quality.
          >
          > All the three computers I´ve tried it on have CS3 on them. The fourth one
          > though didn´t have this "bug", and that one had never seen CS3, instead I
          > installed a trial of Macromedia Fireworks 8 and there it worked perfectly. And
          > two of the computers I´m trying this on have previously had Fireworks 8 with no
          > problem at all. But since then I have formatted them and put the operating
          > system on from scratch.
          >
          > Enough of explanation. Has anyone been through something similar or does
          > anyone have an idea on how to resolve this problem of mine?
          >
          > Every suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks.
          >
          • 2. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
            Level 7
            Quit a lot of stuff tens to fall into user skills levels and generalities.

For example there is an often quoted generality that GIFs (especially
            animated GIFs) cannot support gradients and that is not true.

(see http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=15MwO0rhGbMfFbZ27Go7k3futaxb
            as an example).

The truth is that one needs to use the better or best options available
            according to the design that one has embarked upon.

Quite a lot of that is science but equally so quite a lot of it is pure
            artwork.

FW really is rather splendid with gradients it sometimes is a matter of
            finding which gradient family/flavour and which transient is best suited
            to the spirit of the design envisioned by the designer.
            • 3. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
              Level 7
              I, for one always recommend users to stay clear of the gif format when using
              gradients, for TWO very good reasons.

At a sensible compression ratio you will get banding.
              At silly compression ratios you will end up with absurdly large file sizes -
              perfectly demonstrated by deebs example which is very nearly 200kb! Without
              the gradient I would expect that to be around 10kb, if that.

Peter
              |
              | For example there is an often quoted generality that GIFs (especially
              | animated GIFs) cannot support gradients and that is not true.
              |
              | (see
              http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=15MwO0rhGbMfFbZ27Go7k3futaxb
              | as an example).
              |
              | The truth is that one needs to use the better or best options available
              | according to the design that one has embarked upon.
              |
              | Quite a lot of that is science but equally so quite a lot of it is pure
              | artwork.
              |
              | FW really is rather splendid with gradients it sometimes is a matter of
              | finding which gradient family/flavour and which transient is best suited
              | to the spirit of the design envisioned by the designer.

• 4. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                Level 7
                heyaggi wrote:
                > Hello.
                >
                > will be visible stripes that makes it look insufficient. E.g. a simple box made
                > with the Rectangle tool and a gradient preset looks like it´s a gif export with
                > way to few colors.
                >
                >
                >
                > full quality.
                >
                > installed a trial of Macromedia Fireworks 8 and there it worked perfectly. And
                > two of the computers I´m trying this on have previously had Fireworks 8 with no
                >
                >
                >

I would suggest trying playing with different GIF settings, and if that
                doesn't work use JPGs, I do as I have never seen a good looking gradient
                from my artwork in gif format.

Steve
                • 5. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                  heyaggi Level 1
                  My operating system is Windows XP Professional. Used also Mac Os X for testing.

This problem has nothing to do with gif, animated gif or jpeg of low quality.

It has to do with drawing in Fireworks where I get bandings whenever using the gradient tool.

I´ve used Fireworks for 9 years and I´ve never experienced this until CS3.

That´s why I´m a bit puzzled cos until now it has worked perfectly.

Thanks for all the reply so far.
                  • 6. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                    Level 7
                    Make sure your video card is set up to display 24-32 bit color rather
                    than 16 bit color.

--
                    Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.projectseven.com
                    Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                    CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                    http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                    • 7. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                      Level 7
                      Any way that you could post an example of an image you are having these
                      problems with?

alex

heyaggi wrote:
                      > Hello.
                      >
                      > way to few colors.
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > full quality.
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      • 8. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                        heyaggi Level 1
                        I´ve posted an example of the gradient banding here: Screenshot - Gradient problem

There you can see two pictures in one. The one on the left is Photoshop CS3 and on the right Fireworks CS3.
                        The difference is pretty obvious. These are screenshot from within the programs.

I´ve also tried the gradient in Flash CS3 and it´s the same as Fireworks.

I´ve updated drivers for my screen and my graphic card and I´m running on highest color quality (Highest 32-bit).

To be honest this problem seems pretty hard to isolate and figure out!

Gradients in web pages are e.g. with banding as well so I thought this would have something to do with my local settings and screen. But things in Photoshop are alright?

Thank to you all again.
                        • 9. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                          Level 7
                          On my computer (win xp) those two images look identical.

Peter
                          | http://www.aggi.is/gradient_problem_01.jpg
                          |
                          | There you can see two pictures in one. The one on the left is Photoshop
                          CS3
                          | and on the right Fireworks CS3.
                          | The difference is pretty obvious. These are screenshot from within the
                          | programs.
                          |
                          | I?ve also tried the gradient in Flash CS3 and it?s the same as Fireworks.
                          |
                          | I?ve updated drivers for my screen and my graphic card and I?m running on
                          | highest color quality (Highest 32-bit).
                          |
                          | To be honest this problem seems pretty hard to isolate and figure out!
                          |
                          | Gradients in web pages are e.g. with banding as well so I thought this
                          would
                          | have something to do with my local settings and screen. But things in
                          Photoshop
                          | are alright?
                          |
                          | Thank to you all again.
                          |

• 10. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                            Level 7
                            I see the banding. I have 4 monitors hooked up to my computer - two
                            LCD's two CRT's. I see the banding on all four.
                            I also see it on my Mac Mini.

I also see the banding if I recreate the 400x400 rectangle in FW8 and
                            FWCS3 with the same colors. If I use a dark red (#990000) to black the
                            banding becomes unnoticeable. The banding is more noticeable with
                            lighter colors.

weird

alex

PJR wrote:
                            > On my computer (win xp) those two images look identical.
                            >
                            > Peter
                            > ________________________
                            > "heyaggi" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                            > news:fm5bce$r9f$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > | I?ve posted an example of the gradient banding here:
                            > | http://www.aggi.is/gradient_problem_01.jpg
                            > |
                            > | There you can see two pictures in one. The one on the left is Photoshop
                            > CS3
                            > | and on the right Fireworks CS3.
                            > | The difference is pretty obvious. These are screenshot from within the
                            > | programs.
                            > |
                            > | I?ve also tried the gradient in Flash CS3 and it?s the same as Fireworks.
                            > |
                            > | I?ve updated drivers for my screen and my graphic card and I?m running on
                            > | highest color quality (Highest 32-bit).
                            > |
                            > | To be honest this problem seems pretty hard to isolate and figure out!
                            > |
                            > | Gradients in web pages are e.g. with banding as well so I thought this
                            > would
                            > | have something to do with my local settings and screen. But things in
                            > Photoshop
                            > | are alright?
                            > |
                            > | Thank to you all again.
                            > |
                            >
                            >
                            • 11. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                              Level 7
                              Alex Marino wrote:
                              > I see the banding. I have 4 monitors hooked up to my computer - two
                              > LCD's two CRT's. I see the banding on all four.
                              > I also see it on my Mac Mini.
                              >
                              > I also see the banding if I recreate the 400x400 rectangle in FW8 and
                              > FWCS3 with the same colors. If I use a dark red (#990000) to black the
                              > banding becomes unnoticeable. The banding is more noticeable with
                              > lighter colors.

I see the banding as well on my crappy office monitor. I'm certain I'll
                              see it even more clearly on the LCD of my main design computer at home.
                              Adobe should really look into that...

--
                              Stéphane Bergeron
                              reach : connect : communicate
                              http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                              blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                              http://www.pixelyzed.com
                              • 12. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                Level 7
                                I also exported the gradient in PS as a jpg 100% and it looks smooth as
                                a babies butt in a browser. Import the image into FW - the banding shows.

PJR wrote:
                                > On my computer (win xp) those two images look identical.
                                >
                                > Peter
                                > ________________________
                                > "heyaggi" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                > news:fm5bce$r9f$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > | I?ve posted an example of the gradient banding here:
                                > | http://www.aggi.is/gradient_problem_01.jpg
                                > |
                                > | There you can see two pictures in one. The one on the left is Photoshop
                                > CS3
                                > | and on the right Fireworks CS3.
                                > | The difference is pretty obvious. These are screenshot from within the
                                > | programs.
                                > |
                                > | I?ve also tried the gradient in Flash CS3 and it?s the same as Fireworks.
                                > |
                                > | I?ve updated drivers for my screen and my graphic card and I?m running on
                                > | highest color quality (Highest 32-bit).
                                > |
                                > | To be honest this problem seems pretty hard to isolate and figure out!
                                > |
                                > | Gradients in web pages are e.g. with banding as well so I thought this
                                > would
                                > | have something to do with my local settings and screen. But things in
                                > Photoshop
                                > | are alright?
                                > |
                                > | Thank to you all again.
                                > |
                                >
                                >
                                • 13. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                  Level 7
                                  Yes, it is definitively more noticeable on the LCD's

Stéphane Bergeron wrote:
                                  > Alex Marino wrote:
                                  >> I see the banding. I have 4 monitors hooked up to my computer - two
                                  >> LCD's two CRT's. I see the banding on all four.
                                  >> I also see it on my Mac Mini.
                                  >>
                                  >> I also see the banding if I recreate the 400x400 rectangle in FW8 and
                                  >> FWCS3 with the same colors. If I use a dark red (#990000) to black the
                                  >> banding becomes unnoticeable. The banding is more noticeable with
                                  >> lighter colors.
                                  >
                                  > I see the banding as well on my crappy office monitor. I'm certain I'll
                                  > see it even more clearly on the LCD of my main design computer at home.
                                  > Adobe should really look into that...
                                  >
                                  • 14. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                    Level 7
                                    heyaggi wrote:
                                    > I?ve posted an example of the gradient banding here:
                                    > http://www.aggi.is/gradient_problem_01.jpg
                                    >
                                    > There you can see two pictures in one. The one on the left is Photoshop CS3
                                    > and on the right Fireworks CS3.
                                    > The difference is pretty obvious. These are screenshot from within the
                                    > programs.
                                    >
                                    > I?ve also tried the gradient in Flash CS3 and it?s the same as Fireworks.
                                    >
                                    > I?ve updated drivers for my screen and my graphic card and I?m running on
                                    > highest color quality (Highest 32-bit).
                                    >
                                    > To be honest this problem seems pretty hard to isolate and figure out!
                                    >
                                    > Gradients in web pages are e.g. with banding as well so I thought this would
                                    > have something to do with my local settings and screen. But things in Photoshop
                                    > are alright?
                                    >
                                    > Thank to you all again.
                                    >
                                    It would be helpful to see the PNG file as well.

--
                                    Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                                    http://www.communityMX.com/
                                    CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                                    http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                                    ---
                                    .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                    http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
                                    ---
                                    See my work on Flickr
                                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
                                    • 15. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                      Level 7
                                      heyaggi wrote:
                                      > My operating system is Windows XP Professional. Used also Mac Os X for testing.
                                      >
                                      > This problem has nothing to do with gif, animated gif or jpeg of low quality.
                                      >
                                      > It has to do with drawing in Fireworks where I get bandings whenever using the
                                      > gradient tool.
                                      >
                                      > I´ve used Fireworks for 9 years and I´ve never experienced this until CS3.
                                      >
                                      > That´s why I´m a bit puzzled cos until now it has worked perfectly.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks for all the reply so far.
                                      >

Ahh, I thought the problem was with the output, not the way Fireworks
                                      displayed it. Very odd indeed.

Steve
                                      • 16. Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                        abeall Level 3
                                        > I´ve used Fireworks for 9 years and I´ve never experienced this until CS3.

You likely just haven't noticed until now. It's only noticeable on relatively subtle gradients. Honestly the example you posted is not too bad IMO, it gets worse with grey gradients. Try an 800px tall gradient, #333333 to #4A4A4A for some real nastiness.

It's a problem with display color depth. I don't totally understand it, it seems like by now modern displays that have, what is it, billions of colors? should be able to create transition from one color to another without noticing gradation, but apparently it's not the case.

So why does Photoshop look okay? It uses dithering. Zoom in close to that example you posted. If you look close you'll notice in Photoshop the pixels look almost random, where as in Fireworks it's clearly just rows of colors. The dithering basically jumbles close colors so that your eye doesn't notice sudden color changes. You'll notice, actually, that the gradient overlay layer style in PS doesn't dither and has the same problem as Fireworks gradients.

So everybody go file an enhancement request for gradient dithering in Fireworks! :-)
                                        • 17. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                          Level 7
                                          On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 05:16:00 +0300, abeall <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
                                          wrote:

> It's a problem with display color depth. I don't totally understand it,
                                          > it
                                          > seems like by now modern displays that have, what is it, billions of
                                          > colors?
                                          > should be able to create transition from one color to another without
                                          > noticing
                                          > gradation, but apparently it's not the case.

No matter how many colors your display can show, in some particular
                                          gradients the problem will still exist - it's in the gradients themselves,
                                          not display. You may find the edges of "strips" with color picker, not
                                          only with your eyes.

Obviously, dithering overcomes this. Dithering may help with even heavier
                                          problems. It may cause problems too, if you decide to use particular
                                          filter on dithered images later, but what as to display - it may help with
                                          many cases of banding.

Another option for gradients may be using some noise or diffuse filters.

--
                                          Ilya Razmanov
                                          http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
                                          • 18. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                            Piyono Level 1
                                            I came here looking to see if anyone else was experiencing this because I'm having the same problem.

Just so we're clear this is not a problem with my video card, with my monitor, with my 'Optimize' settings or with my eyes. The banding I am seeing is quite real. FW CS3 is creating, rendering and exporting very poorly dithered gradient fills. It looks bad in 'Original' mode and worse in 'Preview' mode and as an exported file. It's easy to see on light fills and downright blatant on dark fills. Rather distracting in either case.

Heyaggi's example file illustrates the problem well, although the linear fill he used actually looks far better than the cone fill with which I'm struggling.

No other bitmap editing software I use (including PS CS3, Corel PhotoPaint X3, The GIMP and Paint.net) produces this kind of output on the screen or on export.

Acknowledge?

• 19. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                              Level 7
                                              Piyono wrote:

> No other bitmap editing software I use (including PS CS3, Corel PhotoPaint X3,
                                              > The GIMP and Paint.net) produces this kind of output on the screen or on export.
                                              >
                                              > Acknowledge?

Are you exporting in GIF or JPEG format? If you are exporting in JPEG
                                              format you shouldn't see any banding.

--
                                              • 20. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                jpf Level 1
                                                I've just posted about what may be the same problem. I try exporting the same image as a GIF from FW and PS, and FW alone restricts the color palette, which creates banding in the gradients.

So far, there's no answer. More here:
                                                http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=14&catid=193&threadid =1330810&enterthread=y
                                                • 21. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                  Piyono Level 1
                                                  quote:

format you shouldn't see any banding.

Linda, I don't even have to export anything to see the problem; the gradients display banding right there on the canvas while I'm working in FW. If I do choose to export a gradient-filled object, the banding persists into the exported file regardless of the file type or compression level. In fact, at the highest quality JPEG setting the exported gradient-filled object looks like it was exported as an adaptive GIF or extremely high-compression JPEG.

I'm in the process of reformatting my system. Perhaps this is a problem at the OS level and will clear up when when I'm running a freshly-installed version of XP.

Will report back.

• 22. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                    Level 7
                                                    Piyono wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    quote:

> format you shouldn't see any banding.

>
                                                    > Linda, I don't even have to export anything to see the problem; the gradients
                                                    > display banding right there on the canvas while I'm working in FW. If I do
                                                    > choose to export a gradient-filled object, the banding persists into the
                                                    > exported file regardless of the file type or compression level. In fact, at the
                                                    > highest quality JPEG setting the exported gradient-filled object looks like it
                                                    > was exported as an adaptive GIF or extremely high-compression JPEG.
                                                    >
                                                    > I'm in the process of reformatting my system. Perhaps this is a problem at the
                                                    > OS level and will clear up when when I'm running a freshly-installed version of
                                                    > XP.
                                                    >
                                                    > Will report back.
                                                    >
                                                    >
                                                    >

I recommend reading abeall's post a little earlier in this thread.

--
                                                    ---
                                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                                    ---
                                                    See my work on Flickr
                                                    • 23. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                      Level 7
                                                      Piyono wrote:

> In fact, at the
                                                      > highest quality JPEG setting the exported gradient-filled object looks like it
                                                      > was exported as an adaptive GIF or extremely high-compression JPEG.

Are you working on a laptop or desktop machine?

--
                                                      • 24. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                        Piyono Level 1
                                                        Desktop (see my signature for details)
                                                        • 25. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                          Trish Meyer Level 1
                                                          I am so glad I'm not going crazy. I have tried everything to create a simple linear gradient for the top of a sidebar box in dreamweaver that fades in 50px from top to bottom from one shade of blue to another:

#004c87 HSB 206, 100, 53
                                                          to
                                                          #e9eef2 HSB 206, 4, 95

no matter what way I exported it, the lower color always had a strong line in Dreamweaver, even though it was supposed to the same color.
                                                          FW says it was exporting 40 colors as a GIF. When I opened the .png in Photoshop, and Saved For Web, the exact same image now has 51 colors. When I create the gradient in Photoshop directly using the same blues, it has 66 colors.

It's a shame, because I was just about to learn Fireworks because I thought it would be nicely integrated into Dreamweaver. But this is a fatal flaw, so I'm abandoning it and going back to photoshop and after effects (AE CS3 has Shape Layers with great gradient controls, even gradient strokes).

It was interesting that the original poster said that gradients were smoother in Fireworks 8. Can anyone test this?

Trish
                                                          • 26. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                            Level 7
                                                            Trish Meyer wrote:

>
                                                            > no matter what way I exported it,

Apparently you haven't tried exporting it in JPEG format. I don't get
                                                            any banding in JPEG or PNG 24-32 format.

--
                                                            • 27. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                              Level 7
                                                              Trish Meyer wrote:
                                                              > I am so glad I'm not going crazy. I have tried everything to create a simple
                                                              > linear gradient for the top of a sidebar box in dreamweaver that fades in 50px
                                                              > from top to bottom from one shade of blue to another:
                                                              >
                                                              > #004c87 HSB 206, 100, 53
                                                              > to
                                                              > #e9eef2 HSB 206, 4, 95
                                                              >
                                                              > no matter what way I exported it, the lower color always had a strong line in
                                                              > Dreamweaver, even though it was supposed to the same color.
                                                              > FW says it was exporting 40 colors as a GIF. When I opened the .png in
                                                              > Photoshop, and Saved For Web, the exact same image now has 51 colors. When I
                                                              > create the gradient in Photoshop directly using the same blues, it has 66
                                                              > colors.
                                                              >
                                                              > It's a shame, because I was just about to learn Fireworks because I thought it
                                                              > would be nicely integrated into Dreamweaver. But this is a fatal flaw, so I'm
                                                              > abandoning it and going back to photoshop and after effects (AE CS3 has Shape
                                                              > Layers with great gradient controls, even gradient strokes).
                                                              >
                                                              > It was interesting that the original poster said that gradients were smoother
                                                              > in Fireworks 8. Can anyone test this?
                                                              >
                                                              > Trish
                                                              >

A 24-bit PNG is almost identical to the original and it's only 467
                                                              bytes. Personally, that was my biggest shock (and a happy one). The GIF,
                                                              in spite of the reduced (and undesired} low number of colors) is 2.33 k
                                                              and looks terrible as most Gradient gif files do, a jpeg version at 80%
                                                              quality comes close to the original and weighs in at 2.28k. So from
                                                              weight alone the PNG seems to win. It looks great to boot!

My sample file used your colors at a dimension of 760 x 50.

As for gradient control in Fireworks, try the gradient panel created by
                                                              Grant Hinkson: http://www.granthinkson.com. Search for Gradient Panel.

That said, the color issue with GIF's should be addressed. My point is
                                                              that a different format may serve you better for a couple reasons.

--
                                                              ---
                                                              Adobe Community Expert
                                                              ---
                                                              See my work on Flickr
                                                              • 28. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                                Level 7
                                                                Addendum to my previous post:

PNG 8 set to Exact colors gives me quite a nice gradient at a file size
                                                                of 514 bytes, using the Exact palette. I might do this more often!

Setting GIF to Exact also gives me a surprisingly good gradient, but the
                                                                file size is 2.71 K. It also makes use of 50 colors.

I think perhaps the problem may be that the wrong palette is being
                                                                chosen. Web, or Web adaptive both seem to force the image to comply with
                                                                a preset color palette, some of which is obviously not part of the color
                                                                range of the image (which seems odd to me as they are supposed to be
                                                                "adaptive.") I would expect the web adaptive palette to be more
                                                                restrictive, but not sure why plain old adaptive is so restrictive.

--
                                                                ---
                                                                Adobe Community Expert
                                                                ---
                                                                See my work on Flickr
                                                                • 29. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                                  heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                                                                  Heyaggi's sample PS > FW comparison look identical on my LCD monitor.

Users having this issue, feel free to post the source .png file for us to test.

h
                                                                  • 30. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                                    rolnik Level 1
                                                                    I've got exactly same problem with Fireworks MX
                                                                    Example
                                                                    • 31. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                                      Level 7
                                                                      rolnik wrote:
                                                                      > I've got exactly same problem with Fireworks MX
                                                                      > http://misc.pozmu.net/uploads/gradient-problem.png

I took a close look at this file. If I drop the jpeg quality below 80, I
                                                                      start to see banding. Now at 80, the file is only 9 kb, so there may not
                                                                      be a need to drop it lower than 80 in the first place. Perhaps what a
                                                                      lot of people are seeing is the result of overly compressing the
                                                                      gradient. For example, when I dropped the quality to 70, there was
                                                                      noticeable banding.

As another test, I changed the gradient fill to copper, and it that case
                                                                      (more complex gradient) I could start to see some banding at less than
                                                                      90 quality. This gave me about a 27 k file. Now, interesting to note, I
                                                                      also tested this copper gradient with PNG 24 optimization. I was
                                                                      rewarded with an excellent gradient which was only 2.25 kb!

--
                                                                      ---
                                                                      Adobe Community Expert
                                                                      ---
                                                                      See my work on Flickr
                                                                      • 32. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                                        Trish Meyer Level 1
                                                                        I finally had some time today to compare gradients in Fireworks, Photoshop, After Effects and Illustrator (the latter two are based on the same code). Except for Photoshop, the other programs create math-correct linear ramps. Meaning, that the colors progress in 10% increments for every 10% of height.

On the other hand, Photoshop is applying - for better or worse - an S-curve so that the ramp starts off slower and ends slower (sort of like an ease in and out). The colors are the same at the start and end, and roughly the same in the middle, but the quarter tones are very different.

I posted my results (and added the original test files in a zip archive) at:
                                                                        http://www.crishdesign.com/gradients/gradient-compare.html

Compare Gradients

This may not be the same issue that others were complaining about when exporting as GIF and seeing banding. That's why no matter what format I used (PNG, JPG, GIF) I still didn't like the visual effect of how a Fireworks gradient from A-to-B met the B color in a Dreamweaver background. It is more jarring than creating the same gradient in Photoshop.

Now I know it's because Photoshop is &quot;easing in&quot; to the B color. It sounds like we need more control than just Linear or Radial ramps in all programs. We need Straight Linear and an S-curve Linear...or whatever Adobe wants to call it. Either that, or I need to create 3- or 4-color gradients where the mid-point or three-quarter point is moved to add the photoshop-type &quot;ease in&quot; effect.

Maybe someone on the Photoshop team would like to explain why the linear ramp is different.

over to you,
                                                                        Trish
                                                                        • 33. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                                          Level 7
                                                                          Trish Meyer wrote:
                                                                          > I finally had some time today to compare gradients in Fireworks, Photoshop,
                                                                          > After Effects and Illustrator (the latter two are based on the same code).
                                                                          > Except for Photoshop, the other programs create math-correct linear ramps.
                                                                          > Meaning, that the colors progress in 10% increments for every 10% of height.
                                                                          > On the other hand, Photoshop is applying - for better or worse - an S-curve so
                                                                          > that the ramp starts off slower and ends slower (sort of like an ease in and
                                                                          > out). The colors are the same at the start and end, and roughly the same in the
                                                                          > middle, but the quarter tones are very different. I posted my results (and
                                                                          > added the original test files in a zip archive) at:
                                                                          > http://www.crishdesign.com/gradients/gradient-compare.html
                                                                          > http://www.crishdesign.com/gradients/gradient-compare.html This may not be the
                                                                          > same issue that others were complaining about when exporting as GIF and seeing
                                                                          > banding. That's why no matter what format I used (PNG, JPG, GIF) I still didn't
                                                                          > like the visual effect of how a Fireworks gradient from A-to-B met the B color
                                                                          > in a Dreamweaver background. It is more jarring than creating the same gradient
                                                                          > in Photoshop. Now I know it's because Photoshop is 'easing in' to the B
                                                                          > color. It sounds like we need more control than just Linear or Radial ramps in
                                                                          > all programs. We need Straight Linear and an S-curve Linear...or whatever Adobe
                                                                          > wants to call it. Either that, or I need to create 3- or 4-color gradients
                                                                          > where the mid-point or three-quarter point is moved to add the photoshop-type
                                                                          > 'ease in' effect. Maybe someone on the Photoshop team would like to explain
                                                                          > why the linear ramp is different. over to you, Trish
                                                                          >

Something that may help in this control is the Gradient panel by Grant
                                                                          Hinkson.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/gradient_panel.html

--
                                                                          ---
                                                                          Adobe Community Expert
                                                                          ---
                                                                          See my work on Flickr
                                                                          • 34. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                                            davis333 Level 1
                                                                            I'm using a macbook pro 2.16 and just noticed this exact phenomenon today. Its NOT export -> its what Fireworks is actually rendering on screen. Has there been any update on this? Any acknowledgment from Adobe?
                                                                            • 35. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                                              doolak Level 1
                                                                              Hello there,

i have the same problem - using Fireworks CS3. With Fireworks 8 everything was ok, but i switched to Mac and now i am using CS3. Strange thing...

If anybody has an idea how to fix that would be great to know it.
                                                                              • 36. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                                                KAMI29 Level 1
                                                                                Hey,
                                                                                Same problem here.
                                                                                Just reported bug to adobe, hope to get some info on that.

The bug is more noticeable on some colors, try gradient between #271F1C and #4B3D36 just horrible!

Whats the news on cs4?
                                                                                Does fireworks have same problem there?
                                                                                • 37. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                                                  dmwalk Level 1

Same problem in CS4. Again, experts, we're not talking about exporting gradients. The gradients themselves are improperly constructed. If you have a gradient from colorA to colorB to colorA, you will see a strong band of colorB in the middle, rather than a smooth curve. If you use the eyedropper, you will see that at the band of colorB, there are 3 rows of pixels with pure colorB, where there should be only one row of pixels with colorB. This causes the banding seen visually. This is some kind of bug and needs to be fixed, as this type of gradient is unusable in web design.

In fact, try this scenario of gradient stops, colorA, colorB, colorB, colorB, colorA. What you see is a band where colorA goes to colorB, then color B gets lighter at the third stop, then darker to the fourth stop. So you have two visible bands with a lighter color in the middle. Something is seriously wrong with the gradient engine, there should be no color variation from the second through the fourth stops, as they are the same color. This is all with linear gradients.

While, I'm here, the issue that Fireworks and Photoshop gradients can not be exchanged via PSD files is another huge problem. The Photoshop Live filters in FW are not finished and the gradient filter does not work with PSD filters. Hopefully, this should be fixed in a CS4 update, but my guess is that we'll be lucky to see it in CS5,

• 38. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                                                    Linda Nicholls Level 4

Are you working on a desktop or laptop? If the latter, is your screen 8-bit or 6-bit?

• 39. Re: Gradient problem in Fireworks
                                                                                      Jim_Babbage Level 4

The gradient banding issue is a known one and we can certainly hope it will be addressed, if not in a CS4 dot release, then in the release of a new version of Fireworks.

From what I understand, introducing more functionality in the PS Live filters caused more instability than it was worth. Ditto for the Filter Gallery. That's why the PS LIve filters were added as they were, primarily to support existing layer effects and roundtripping back to PS, rather than to edit them.

HTH

Jim Babbage

1 2 Previous Next