3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2013 10:36 AM by iccsi

SELECT Auto Complete

iccsi Level 1

I have a SELECT dropdown on the form and would like to have a function while user type then the dropdown will get the most close record for user to select.

I tried to look on the internet, but no luck, It seems that CFSelect does not have this option.

Any information is great appreciated,

Regards,

Iccsi,

• 1. Re: SELECT Auto Complete
          Carl Von Stetten Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Iccsi,

AutoComplete widgets typically don't use SELECT elements; they usually build off of a standard text input box.  While I strongly discourage using <CFINPUT> (or any of the built-in ColdFusion UI tags), it does have an "autosuggest" attribute that triggers the type of behaviour you are looking for.  However, I would recommend looking at using jQueryUI's "autocomplete" widget, TwitterBootstrap's "typeahead" widget, or any number of other JavaScript/CSS AutoComplete solutions.

HTH,

-Carl V.

• 2. Re: SELECT Auto Complete
            iccsi Level 1

Thanks a million for the information and help,

Regards,

Iccsi,

• 3. Re: SELECT Auto Complete
              iccsi Level 1

I use jQuery auto complete, it works, but the font size it too big for my application. I tried to find the property to modify it, notr luck.

I use CFQuery for the select output, the dropdown becomes slow, do I need use cfc function to get data using JSON format to help performance?

I have onchange event on the dropdown box, it does not trigger onchange event when I have jQuery auto complete.  Is it normal that auto complete and onchange event has conflct?

Thanks again for helping,

Regards,

Iccsi,