6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 3:51 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I select a photo from the timeline to apply an effect.

Jules789

I am tryiing to select an individual photo on the timeline to apply an effect like a zoom or pan.

• 1. Re: How do I select a photo from the timeline to apply an effect.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jules789

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

To select a photo on the Timeline, you click on it once. You should see a change in tone or color to the photo once it is selected.

Then you find the effect that you want and drag it into the photo. There are variations.

If you are using Premiere Elements 11, you have 3 choices for the pan and zoom effect

a. The Pan and Zoom Tool

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSeffff8bffc802084-494411db12fd35452dd- 8000.html

b. Presets

c. Keyframing the Motion Scale (for zoom) and Position (for pan).

With a and c, you can get pans and zooms. But with the Presets, you can get pan OR zoom.

We will give you more specific details once we know Premiere Elements version and your computer operating system.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I select a photo from the timeline to apply an effect.
            Jules789 Level 1

I am in the trial version of Premiere Elements 11 running on an HP laptop. I have used Premiere Elements 2 so this is quite a change. I imported a number of photos in the form of a slide show with the cross dissolve transition built in. When I click on an image the whole slide show gets a blue frame around it. I was trying to save myself some work by applying the transition to the complete set and then go back and add other effects to individual photos. When I double click a window opens that is blank. I assume by creating the slide show I have made this into one complete clip and I can't work with the individual photos any longer.

• 3. Re: How do I select a photo from the timeline to apply an effect.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jules,

Perhaps it's time to take a step back with your workflow.

Exactly how, and where did you create that SlideShow?

If it was PsE, or Organizer, how did you get that SlideShow into Premiere Elements?

One method is to output the SlideShow to a WMV file, and then Import that into PrE. If that is the case, then you no longer have individual Still Images, but a Video, made up of the Still Images plus the Transitions - two totally different things.

Good luck, and please let us know about the creation of that SlideShow.

Hunt

• 4. Re: How do I select a photo from the timeline to apply an effect.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jules789

I suspect your answer is for you to right click the video (your slideshow in video .psess format) now on the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace Timeline and then select and click on "Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow" command. The command will achieve that and you should be able to move forward with your editing plans.

The above applies if these are the details of your workflow which I believe to be the case....

1. In the Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor you put together some photos and used the Slide Show Editor's Cross Dissolve transition in the Slideshow Editor slideshow.

2. You outputted the slideshow from the Elements Organizer 11 Slide Show Editor using the Output option of Edit with Premiere Elements Editor.

3. When you do that you will find in Project Assets, a folder with the projects assets as well as one copy of the slideshow as a video in .psess format. There will also be a copy of the .psess video on the Timeline.

4. When you use that route, the Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow command is available to you in order for you to make additional significant edits to the slideshow before a burn to.

If you use any of the Slide Show Editor options to create the wmv version of the slideshow (Burn to Disc or Save As A File Movie wmv), the file on the Timeline will be a whole video in wmv format. That cannot be broken apart with the Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow command.

Please review my assumptions and speculations and let us know if the answer that I provided was appropriate under the circumstances.

If not, lots more details please.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I select a photo from the timeline to apply an effect.
                  Jules789 Level 1

I created a new project and imported the photos directly to the timeline and then I was able to apply effects. Unfortunately I have to place transitions between each photo manually. In the other project when I added media I had the option to create a slideshow and it asked me for a transiton to be applied to all the photos so then when I tried to apply effects to each photo the slide show became one entire video clip and not individual photos in a slide show. Its a bit of a learning curve. Thanks

• 6. Re: How do I select a photo from the timeline to apply an effect.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jules789

A just in case note, if you are now adding photos individually to your Premiere Elements 11 Timeline.....

You can place your photos side by side on the Expert workspace Timeline and then apply the default transition to all at the same time.

If that is of interest, you would do the following:...

Select all the photos on the Expert workspace Timeline (could use Edit Menu/Select All)

Then Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition.

Another just in case note, to set up the "default transition"...go to Action Bar/Transitions at top of Expert workspace or Transitions Tab at bottom of Expert workspace, pick out your transition, right click it, and then clip on the pop up "Set Selected as Default Transition".

Please let us know if you have further questions on your workflow.

Thanks.

ATR