4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2008 9:20 AM by patricktr

Active x code with Buttons

patricktr
      Hi - I hope someone can help. I'm new to this and experimenting with Fireworks and Dreamweaver using S & J Bardzell's excellent Studio MX 2004. By and large the book is working a treat however there are a couple of points slighly off the beaten track that are driving me mad:

i) I'm building up a design in Fireworks that has a few buttons on it - no problem. In the example in the book it suggests creating 'up' and 'over' states which works great however when I preview I get an internet security message warning me that the webpage has been restricted 'from running scripts or ActiveX controls...' (I'm using XP & IE7). I don't want this message so I thought maybe I could just delete the 'over' state on my buttons but I still get the message and what's more when I clear the message (i.e. allow scripts) the over state is blank, i.e. when you roll over the button it disappears ... what am I doing wrong, or how do you resolve this?

ii) I would like the webpage to be in the centre of the browser but I can't find a CSS that will make this happen - any ideas?

Thanks for your help; I hope -
      Regards.
      Patrick.
        • 1. Re: Active x code with Buttons
          pixlor Level 4
          i) Are you using Dreamweaver to create the rollover states? Because I don't get the security message from Dreamweaver's code.
          Insert > Image Object > Rollover image
          Also, check your browser settings to make sure you haven't disabled JavaScript, or set it to prompt. You could also try using Firefox to preview.

ii) Um....Heres the CSS and HTML from a template for a site I did. But...this isn't so simple. You're going to need to find info on designing CSS layouts.

CSS
          body {
          margin: 0; /* it's good practice to zero the margin and padding of the body element to account for differing browser defaults */
          padding: 0;
          text-align: center; /* this centers the container in IE 5* browsers. The text is then set to the left aligned default in the #container selector */
          }

.layout #container {
          position: relative;
          width: 680px;
          margin: 0 auto; /* the auto margins (in conjunction with a width) center the page */
          text-align: left; /* this overrides the text-align: center on the body element. */
          }

HTML
          <!DOCTYPE ...>
          <html xmlns=...>
          <head>
          Header stuff goes here
          </head>
          <body class="layout>
          <div id="container">

Your stuff goes here

<!-- end #container --></div>
          </body>
          </html>
          • 2. Re: Active x code with Buttons
            patricktr Level 1
            Thanks for the quick response Pixlor - great. I'm using Fireworks to create the roll-over states but I get the same problem when I preview in both Fireworks & Dreamweaver. My IE settings are as they come out the box - my internet security level is 'medium-high' which says:

i) Appropriate for most websites

ii) Prompts before downloading potentially unsafe content

iii) Unsigned ActiveX controls will not be downloaded

PS ii & iii are also featured in the lowest security level - 'medium'.

This would seem to suggest that anyone who uses standard windows security is going to get these warnings if I include these rollover states ... can that really be true?

Thanks for the centring suggestions - I'll play around with that and see what happens.

All the best.
            Patrick.

• 3. Re: Active x code with Buttons
              Level 7
              patricktr wrote:
              > Hi - I hope someone can help. I'm new to this and experimenting with Fireworks
              > and Dreamweaver using S & J Bardzell's excellent Studio MX 2004. By and large
              > the book is working a treat however there are a couple of points slighly off
              > the beaten track that are driving me mad:
              >
              > i) I'm building up a design in Fireworks that has a few buttons on it - no
              > problem. In the example in the book it suggests creating 'up' and 'over' states
              > which works great however when I preview I get an internet security message
              > warning me that the webpage has been restricted 'from running scripts or
              > ActiveX controls...' (I'm using XP & IE7). I don't want this message so I
              > thought maybe I could just delete the 'over' state on my buttons but I still
              > get the message and what's more when I clear the message (i.e. allow scripts)
              > the over state is blank, i.e. when you roll over the button it disappears ...
              > what am I doing wrong, or how do you resolve this?
              >
              > ii) I would like the webpage to be in the centre of the browser but I can't
              > find a CSS that will make this happen - any ideas?
              >
              > Thanks for your help; I hope -
              > Regards.
              > Patrick.
              >

You get the error message because you are previewing locally. Upload the
              page and its dependent files and try it.

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              Adobe Community Expert
              http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
              ---
              See my work on Flickr
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
              • 4. Re: Active x code with Buttons
                patricktr Level 1
                Thanks very much Jim - I am only working locally at the moment as I learn so I'll check that out in due course but your comments are re-assuring.
                Regards.
                Patrick.