1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 4:53 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Widescreen, 1080p and aspect ratio.

Joe_Caldwell Level 1

Hello, all.

I have some questions related to the use of Photoshop for the preparation of images for projectors and presentations.

I've noticed lately that most presentations I seem to attend are presented with images in widescreen format (16:9). I have found some higher resolution projectors available in widescreen format but have some questions.

In case I create my slides with a size of 1920 x 1080, do I need to adjust anything in Photoshop for this ? Using basic mathematics I would imagine that no adjustments would be necessary. After all 1920 x 1080 amounts to a perfect relationship of 16:9. Is this correct ? Should I expect that images projected by a projector with this aspect ratio will contain square pixels and no adjustments are necessary in Photoshop ?

Is there any situation where a pixel is project as a rectangle instead of a square and adjustments to accomodate this need to be made in Photoshop ?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Widescreen, 1080p and aspect ratio.
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Hi Joe

Will these images be presented via Powerpoint?  Eitherway, nowadays it makes most sense to produce a high res 'Master' copy of your presentation.  In the Slide show tab of Powerpoint there is an option to set the resolution, so if outputing to a 1024x768 (XGA) projector, you can set that accordingly, although the projector and your computer are probably going to sort that out between them automatically.  I recently had to circulate a 1080p promo to a number of people, and just left it at full 1080. It worked fine on their 4:3 XGA projectors, and kept its 19:9 aspect ratio, albiet with dark bands above and below.

Decent projectors will let you adjust aspect ratios so you don't have overspill.  I currently have an XGA projector which belongs to the camera club; a 1080, 2500 lumen projector that belongs to me, and a kick arse NZ$20,000 1920x1200 5000 lumen projector that I have to evaluate for a big convention for which I am the technical officer.  The last two projectors are both controlable regards aspect ratio to avoid overspill. The last one is also so powerul that we used in a big room a couple of weeks back, and it still had amazing contrast with half the room lights on!