5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2013 11:53 AM by JJMack

Different sizes one Smart Object

Baswazz

When i have a project that contain a lot of the same images i normally create one Smart Object and copy/paste it as many times as i need to. This way when i have to change something i can edit the Smart Object and it will automaticly change all duplicates.

For example i have created a button and i need one that has to be a different width,  i can change thewidth of the Smart Object. Only this way it changes all the duplicates too. Let's say i don't want to change my previously made duplicates, i can make a copy of my Smart Object this way it does not effect my previously created buttons. This have the effect that when i need to make some changes, ill need to edit 2 buttons instead of one.

In some of my projects i have 10 different sizes of the same object only the design is left unchanged. When i need to change the color for example i have to edit this 10 imes. You would say 10 times isn't that much. That is correct. But if you made multiple changes to the Smart Object's layers, let's say i changed 4 things. I have to manually change 4 x 10 = 40 things. That could take up some time.

In my case i need to have different widths of the same object everything else needs to be exactly the same. So in my perfect case i would have one smart object with different widths which i only have to change once's.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

• 1. Re: Different sizes one Smart Object
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Baswazz wrote:

When i have a project that contain a lot of the same images i normally create one Smart Object and copy/paste it as many times as i need to. This way when i have to change something i can edit the Smart Object and it will automaticly change all duplicates.

That is not correct copy past creates raster layers not smart object layers.

You can duplicate a smart object layer many times and resize each to a different size and location.  Updating the single shared embedded object will update all the smart layers. If you use "Replace Contents" the replace a shared smart object you better replace the original object with an object the same size. If you do not all the associated transforms will be incorrect.  So replacing a smart object with a different aspect ratio object is not something you want to do.

You can also create duplicate independent smart object layers using Layer>Smart Objects>New smart Object via Copy.  The new smart object layer will have its own embedded object.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Different sizes one Smart Object
            Baswazz Level 1

This i understand, as you can read in my post, i can edit the smart object and all duplicates update too. May-bey i shouldn't have said copy/past.

I do understand i can replace it's content. That is not what i want to acomplish and not the answer i am looking for.

I design a button and select the layers used to create the button and create a smart object. When i create duplicates of the smart object and position them in my document i can edit the smart object and all will change at once.

Now i have a rounded rectangle used in my smart object. How do i change the width of only one of the duplicates of the smart object, so the other duplicates left untouched.

Thanks for your input.

• 3. Re: Different sizes one Smart Object

Baswazz wrote:

Now i have a rounded rectangle used in my smart object. How do i change the width of only one of the duplicates of the smart object, so the other duplicates left untouched.

If you have not changed the bounds of the smart object. The width and height pixels sizes are still the same all you have done is made the corners transparent. That should work fine.  If you change the object size the smart object associated transforms will not be correct for the object new size.  If you add or remove canvas ie change the embedded object canvas size is where you run into problems.  You originally wrote wider that would mean adding canvas that would cause problems. Rounding corners does not change the width. If you want to change the width on one layer you can change its transform.  If you change its width and not its height the layer will distort some. Which may be acceptable for things like buttons. All will have rounded corners though.

If you want one with rounded corners and for it to be wider.  Do not update the objects.  Transforn the layer wider then add a layer mask or vector mask to round the layer.  Layer style will still work about the rounded areas.

• 4. Re: Different sizes one Smart Object
                Baswazz Level 1

I created a video i hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/Gn-w4BLYFTg

• 5. Re: Different sizes one Smart Object

You silent video is too hard to follow with pop-up messages that flash to quickly to be read and layers being flashed to quickly to see how the are being flashed.  You seem to know quite well how to use smart object layers and know where your having problems.   There are many ways to do thing in Photoshop.    You don't have to do some one there may be more the one way to do something.  Like you do not need to edit a smart object to change a smart object layer color.  For example if you colored the button lets 50% gray.   Changing color would be ease with a layer style color overlay Vivid Light, Hard Mix or Color burn.

Perhaps you can come up with an alternate method that will work easier then what your currently doing.

faw.jpg