2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2006 6:53 AM by Newsgroup_User

DW8 Site Manager Window

wsherwood2
      The DW7&8 Site Manager Window has several oddities:

When docked, cut and paste do not work in the editor windows.

When both the Remote and Local directories are shown, the gripper is not displayed.

Site Window stacking order is always on top and is awkward to negotiate when editing multiple html files to copy back and forth and link anchors. Also If you're trying to refer to another application's window, you cannot position it on top of the stacking order of the site manager, instead you have to kill the site manager in order to have DW html editor coexist alongside another application. This is incovenient for both code development as well as browser testing and Photoshop coordination.

Site Manager window does not not behave like a normal window that you can minimize easily (you have to use F8).

When focus goes off of DW, the File manager disappears, there's no way to keep it up for file and directory structure reference.

HTML editing windows on a PC must be within the window area of the main DW window (this is not true on a MAC for DW8, and was also okay on a PC for DW6 and before, it broke in MX2004 and DW8)

HTML editor seems to be implemented not as native code, or as an interpreter: simple operations take an inordinate amount of time (i have 4G and a 3GHz processor on XP pro)-- all other applications (including huge 1G+ photoshop files are quite snappy)
        • 1. Re: DW8 Site Manager Window
          wsherwood2 Level 1
          In the history of DW from teh early days, it seems some people call it Site Manager, File Manager, Site Window.

The following conditions disable cut/paste into the html/design editor:
          1. Site/File Manager/Window is docked in the main DW window
          2. Both Remote and Local columns are displayed
          [other combinations work correctly as intuited/expected]

The behavior is that when the focus is in the html window, CTRL/A (select all) selects all the Local Files (and not the text & images in the design view), and similarly cut/paste affect the files & directories rather than the text/html/images.

will
          • 2. Re: DW8 Site Manager Window
            Level 7
            > In the history of DW from teh early days, it seems some people call it
            > Site
            > Manager, File Manager, Site Window.

I've been with DW since DW2 and I've never seen the Site Manager called
            anything other than Site Manager, or perhaps Site Panel. The File
            manager/File Panel is a completely different thing. I have never seen the
            use of Site window....

> The following conditions disable cut/paste into the html/design editor:
            > 1. Site/File Manager/Window is docked in the main DW window

Are you referring to the Site Manager (which does not dock), or the File
            panel? I'll say again, I cannot reproduce this with the File manager/panel
            docked.

> 2. Both Remote and Local columns are displayed
            > [other combinations work correctly as intuited/expected]

I can only display both local and remote columns with the panel fully
            expanded. In that case, I cannot edit a document at all.

Are you on a Mac, by chance?

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
            ==================

"wsherwood2" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ebbhpf$su5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > In the history of DW from teh early days, it seems some people call it
            > Site
            > Manager, File Manager, Site Window.
            >
            > The following conditions disable cut/paste into the html/design editor:
            > 1. Site/File Manager/Window is docked in the main DW window
            > 2. Both Remote and Local columns are displayed
            > [other combinations work correctly as intuited/expected]
            >
            > The behavior is that when the focus is in the html window, CTRL/A (select
            > all)
            > selects all the Local Files (and not the text & images in the design
            > view), and
            > similarly cut/paste affect the files & directories rather than the
            > text/html/images.
            >
            > will
            >