29 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2013 9:39 PM by the_wine_snob

video clips play pixelated

jhristakos

I have clips that were recorded on a Canon VIXIA HFM52 and on a Kodak Zi8 and transferred from the SD cards into my computer.  They play fine in a media player, but when I put them on a project timeline they are extremely pixelated. Whats the fix? 

• 1. Re: video clips play pixelated
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jhristakos

Lots of more details needed from you in order to help us help you.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are the properties of your source media from the Canon and Kodak cameras? I am looking for video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, progressive or interlaced, file extension, and pixel aspect ratio. If you do not know, please try for a video properties readout from MediaInfo.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

What are you or the project setting as the project preset for this project?

Depending on how this first line of Q&A goes, a description of your computer and its resources may be in order. Typically the drill revolves around "Do you have the latest driver installed for your video card?" But, for this initial exchange, I suspect project settings as the culprit.

So, please check out the video properties including what your recording setting is for Canon and Kodak cameras.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: video clips play pixelated
            jhristakos Level 1

1. Premier Elements 10 on HP Pavillion dv6 Notebook

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2:30GHz   8Gb RAM   64 bit

2.  Record Settings:  1080p

3. Kodak Clips -

Video

ID                                       : 1

Format                                   : AVC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                           : Main@L4.2

Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames

Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=15

Codec ID                                 : avc1

Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding

Duration                                 : 20s 420ms

Bit rate mode                            : Variable

Bit rate                                 : 15.4 Mbps

Maximum bit rate                         : 17.7 Mbps

Width                                    : 1 920 pixels

Height                                   : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate mode                          : Constant

Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.248

Stream size                              : 37.5 MiB (99%)

4. Canon Clips -

Video

ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)

Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)

Format                                   : AVC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                           : High@L4.0

Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames

Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=15

Codec ID                                 : 27

Duration                                 : 57s 991ms

Bit rate mode                            : Variable

Bit rate                                 : 11.5 Mbps

Maximum bit rate                         : 12.0 Mbps

Width                                    : 1 440 pixels

Height                                   : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Interlaced

Scan order                               : Top Field First

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.246

Stream size                              : 79.2 MiB (93%)

5. Project settings -

Edit Mode:  DV NTSC;   720x480

• 3. Re: video clips play pixelated
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jhristakos

Thanks for the follow up.

First thing that I see is that your NTSC DV Standard is not correct for your source footage be it 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second or 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

Let us try this first....

1. In your Premiere Elements 10 Windows, first use just your 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second footage.

And, set the project preset in the new project dialog for:

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

See what that looks like in the Edit Mode monitor playback of it from its Timeline location.

Is there a red line over that content when you first drag the video to the Timeline.

Then start a new project...

1. In your Premiere Elements 10 Windows, now set the project preset in the new project dialog for:

NTSC

AVCHD

HD1080i30

See what that looks like in the Edit Mode monitor playback of it from its Timeline location.

After we see what these two sources look like separately with the appropriate project preset, then we will decide what next.

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: video clips play pixelated
                jhristakos Level 1

for the progressive frames per second footage I set the project preset in the new project dialog for:NTSC  DSLR  1080p  DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97:

the progressive frame clips look great but the Interlaced clips won't play on that timetime using those setting

In the project preset for NTSC   AVCHD   HD1080i30 both type of clips look much better.  the Interlaced clips are all head shots and there's still a bit of pixelation on both shoulders. I could live w/ it u less you have another suggestion...

• 5. Re: video clips play pixelated
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jhristakos

Are both of these two formats supposed to be going into the same project or is each intended for separate Premiere Elements projects?

When you say that the interlaced clips won't play in the DSLR settings, what happens...errors, jerky play back, other?

Let me remind you now. When you select your export, use the appropriate export settings for 1920 x 1080 for both. Both have give a display of 1920 x 1080 but 1440 x 1080 depends on its 16:9 flag to stretch it to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding. Your player may have a problem reading the 16:9 flag if you go with the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 export.

More questions:

1. With the project preset of NTSC/AVCHD/HD1080i30 and your 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 import, what does the footage look like on the Timeline play back if you right click the video, select Field Options, and then Always Deinterlace?

Does the Anti-Flicker help (Properties Palette/Motion Panel Expanded, Anti-Flicker slider at bottom of Motion Panel?

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: video clips play pixelated
                    jhristakos Level 1

Q1:  The 2 formats were supposed to go in the same project. The interlaced clips are on-camera talking head w/ some clips used for audio w/ b-roll & graphics. 

Q2 - interlaced clips won't play in the DSLR settings:  when I put one on the timeline there was an error message that the project settings weren't correct for these clips.

Always Deinterlace didn't help. I turned it off and slid the Anti-flicker slider to 100% -- that did the trick.

New Q: The text in all the menus is so small its very hard to read. Anyway to increase the size?

• 7. Re: video clips play pixelated
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

jhristakos

News sounds promising to good regarding

Q2 - interlaced clips won't play in the DSLR settings:  when I put one on the timeline there was an error message that the project settings weren't correct for these clips.

That type of message is normal under the circumstances. Premiere Elements allows for only one project preset and, when you have a mixed Timeline, you need to set priorities. So, when you set for one, the other video would be expected to trigger that message. Just say No to any message to change the project preset and proceed. Render the Timeline with the Enter key. Then what does that 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 progressive frames plus 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second look like before and after any tweeking with Field Options?

About your menu question

New Q: The text in all the menus is so small its very hard to read. Anyway to increase the size?

In the menu customization area of the program, click on the text to select it. Then look to the right of that area to Adjustments which include the Font size. Beware of button overlap if you start moving things around.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: video clips play pixelated
                        jhristakos Level 1

New wrinkles

I created titles in Photoshop over static backgrounds. When I insert them on the tieline and playback on full screen, they look terrible & very hard to read. Plus I initially created 1440 x 1080 backgrounds but they didn't fit in the playback window.  To fill the playback window completely, had to resize to 1940 x 1160. I'm sure that's not right.  Any thoughts?  I opened up the title tool in Premier but I don't have time to figure it out. Anyway to salvage my Photoshop titles which took me a longtime to create

Also, I finished my project w/o any of the interlaced clips and exported it to youtube. the whole thing looks terrible -- video clips & titles???

Last Q for now (LOL): Does Premier override other media players?  I suddenly have no audio when I try to play clips using other players, plus the utube movie has no audio???

• 9. Re: video clips play pixelated
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

On the Ps 1440 x 1080 Titles, what is the Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR)? Having a mis-match there can cause the background to not fit the Project. Ps allows one to adjust the PAR.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: video clips play pixelated
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

For your last question:

Last Q for now (LOL): Does Premier override other media players?  I suddenly have no audio when I try to play clips using other players, plus the utube movie has no audio???

No, PrE does not override other players, BUT there are output options, that can yield a Video-only file, with no Audio Stream. If one does NOT Multiplex (creating one file w/ both a Video and Audio Stream), then they end up with two files: one with the Video-only Stream, and one with the Audio-only Stream. Also, one can check the Export Audio, or uncheck that, to get a Video-only file. Check your Publish+Share settings, to make sure that both Export Video and Export Audio are checked, and then look at the Multiplexing Tab, to make sure that it is not set to "None."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: video clips play pixelated
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, you can run your output file through MediaInfo, or G-Spot (both free file info utilities), to see if there IS an Audio Stream in the file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

jhristakos

With regard to your work with titles in Photoshop...the focus is that 1920 x 1080 16:9 and 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 both give you a display of 1920 x 1080. But, the 1440 x 1080 4:3 is stretched to 1920 x 1080 16:9 by its 16:9 flag for display after encoding. Please check back when I mentioned this point previously in your thread. Stay with "square pixels" and 1920 x 1080.

With the titles, please go into detail as to how they look bad. We may need to address font types, styles, sizes and contrast of colors against background.

In Photoshop, use the File Menu/New/ use the sizing for 1920 x 1080.

Do you have the matter of 1080p resolved? Does that still look good now, import, edit, export and otherwise?

What did the interlaced (1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9) look like before you sent it to YouTube? And, was it just the interlaced, no 1080p included? How did you do the upload to YouTube....direct upload from Premiere Elements or did you export your Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive and then upload that file to YouTube at the YouTube web site. Whatever the case, what were the settings that you used. Our answer may be in those that need fine tuning.

What are you having audio problems with...your Premiere Elements exports or any file from anywhere that you try to play back on one of your players? Are these other players, computer and TV/DVD player based?

Let us focus on these avenues. They should be solvable with focus and follow through on the lines of troubleshooting that we have in progress.

Thanks.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 13. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                  jhristakos Level 1

I can't fid where to adjust the PAR in PS

• 14. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jhristakos

I am not sure if the answer to your issue is to go changing pixel aspect ratio via image resizing from 1440 x 1080 (4:3) to 1920 x 1080 (16:9) without distortion, but check out the Image Menu of your Photoshop (if that is what you are using).

If Photoshop, not Photoshop Elements....Target the Image Menu/Image Resize and 1440 x 1080 pixels and Image Menu/Pixel Aspect Ratio and HDV Anamorphic (1.333). See what that looks like.

ATR

• 15. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Which version of Photoshop do you have, and on which OS, please?

In most versions, after Photoshop CS, you will find Pixel Aspect Ratio in the Image drop-down from the Toolbar.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

As a bit of a PS, Photohop offers one many Video Presets, when doing New Image. Those will offer the necessary PAR's (Pixel Aspect Ratios), and are where I always start, when doing any Images for use in Video, such as Titles. Also, those Presets have the Action Safe and Title Safe Guides, which can be very useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                          jhristakos Level 1

I resized the first 4 titles and saved project as a .mpg file a HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality.

The video clips and titles look great, but there is no audio

Mediainfo REPORT:

Audio

ID                                       : 192 (0xC0)

Format                                   : MPEG Audio

Format version                           : Version 1

Format profile                           : Layer 2

Duration                                 : 4mn 19s

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 384 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 2 channels

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Delay relative to video                  : 24ms

Stream size                              : 11.9 MiB (5%)

Another Audio Issue:  the audio of the on/off camera narrator won't stay adjusted. I click on a clip, open the mixer, make adjustment, close the mixer & resave the project.  I do this for every audio clip, but when I go to playback most of them drop dwn tol their original levels.  Tried Smart Mix and it didn't work.

• 18. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

jhristakos

What is this "on/off camera narrator" to which you refer?

When you open the Audio Mixer is your Timeline running as you make the audio volume adjusts for Audio 1, Narration, and/or Soundtrack? You need to run the Timeline and make the adjusts as the Timeline content plays. Can can confirm the settings by reopening the Audio Mix, playing the Timeline, and watching the Audio Mix sliders move as you had adjusted them. Also, after using the Audio Mix, do you see white dots (keyframes) in the Timeline content which pin point where your volume adjusts were made as the Audio Mix automatically keyframed the volume (varied the volume along the Timeline as you wanted).

Audio 1 after Audio Mix Volume Adjusts - Demo of Keyframes (white dots)

AudioMix.JPG

Are your no sound problems with the 1080p before and after export?

More later.

ATR

• 19. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                              jhristakos Level 1

I have Premier Elements 10 on HP Pavillion dv6 Notebook 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2:30GHz   8Gb RAM   64 bit

This version doesn't seem to have video presets when I click on new image

I decided to play the entire .mpg file and even the titles I didn't resize look great in full screen, so my main issue right now is no audio.

• 20. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

jhristakos

Could you explain? You say that you have Premiere Elements 10 Windows. Did you mean to write Photoshop Elements 10?

Last I noticed, Hunt was talking to you about Photoshop (he did not seem sure which version you had).

In Photoshop Elements 10 Full Editor

File Menu

New

Blank

The dialog offers Preset = Film and Video, from there you can select size. One example:

PSE10.JPG

Was that what you were looking for? If not, could you offer more detail?

Any more details on any involvement on how you are using the Audio Mix or other details of your audio issue as asked previously?

Your progress with the video sounds very good.

ATR

• 21. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                                  jhristakos Level 1

My progres is not good - this video was to be shown today.

Audio is still killing me because after I restarted my laptop I now have no audio at all including for my Premier project.  I've checked everything I know to check.  Yesterday all was fine, last nite lost all audio except in Premier (except no audio in the media files I created) and finally no audio at all.

Before I lost audio in Premier, I tried your suggestion and left the mixer open while I played the program. All my setting were correct. After saving, closing & restarting laptop, I reopened the project and the clips on audio 1 trk were back to their orig levels

I bought a package Photoshop Elements 10 & Premier Elements 10

Hunt had asked for details and I copied it from earlier response to you & forgot to change Premier to Photoshop.

Thanks for the settings help. I found it in PS. 

• 22. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jhristakos

Sorry the news was not better. From what you just wrote the sound problem is computer related rather than Premiere Elements specific. Let us attack the computer sound issue.

1. HP side - No Sound in HP Pavillon dv6 notebook....

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/Pavilion-Dv6-No-Sound/td-p/136745 9

2. Have you seen this Microsoft article on No Sound in Windows?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/no-sound-help#no-sound=windows-7&v1h=win8tab1&v 2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

2. Is your HP computer still under warranty? If so, get on the phone with its technical service armed with the details of your situation and what you tried and did not try to resolve the problem.

3. Do you have access to another computer that does not have sound issues and that you can use to get this important project done?

Hope the mention at the top of the list is your answer. If not, please check out the rest.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 23. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                                      jhristakos Level 1

Got audio back on my laptop. Finished the projects. Client happy.

New problem. Promised my best friend I'd edit a video of his daughter's wedding for her 10th annivesary.

Media was all still photos that I resized in PS to 1920 x 1080.

All went well and was able to post to youtube -

The problem is that I can't seem to burn to a DVD.  I get "no media present" no matter what option I choose.  What am I doing wrong?  FYI - I saved it as a new file, restarted my laptop, opened project, rerendered the timeline - but to no avail.  Sane error message.  Thx.  Jim

• 24. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a disc... says Encore, but also applies to Premiere Elements and disc burning... this MAY be your problem

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

Set your DVD output to a folder on your hard drive and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to the folder to disc (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

• 25. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news on the audio!

As for that SlideShow, you mention 1920 x 1080 (Full HD). I have a couple of questions about it, please:

1. What is your Project's Setting, HD 1920 x 1080, or someting else?
                                                          2. Are you attempting to author that Timeline to DVD-Video, or BD (Blu-ray Disc)?
                                                          3. What brand of blank media are you using?
                                                          4. Are you sure that it IS blank?
                                                          5. Do you have any problems burning to disc, with your multi-drive/burner?
                                                          6. If DVD-Video, can you Burn to Folder on your HDD?

The answers to those questions might hold some clues for troubleshooting.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Great news about the audio. I just got finished watching the wedding video that you uploaded to YouTube. I really liked what you did with it video and audio wise and wrapped it with love. Great job.

Now to get rid of this DVD-VIDEO issue that has popped up. Hunt and John T. Smith seem to have covered all the bases.

If you are in a time crunch for the DVD-VIDEO, I would try the Premiere Elements burn to folder (4.7 Folder) for that Timeline to determine if you can get the saved folder with its VIDEO_TS Folder which you can take to DVD disc with a program such as ImgBurn.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/418814

That takes your burner out of the equation, but, in the final analysis, not your disc.

The hang up is going to be if you are having a disc problem with your DVD burner. Then there still could be a block in getting to the goal. At this point, can you use the burner and your present batch of DVD discs with this burner when Premiere Elements is not involved?

Can we assume that you hit the Rescan button in the burn area to try get beyond the no media present message?

We will watch for your results and progress and then decide what next based on the outcome.

ATR

• 27. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                                              jhristakos Level 1

Hello all,

Thanks for responding so quickly.  The recommended software won't download

correctly so I've contacted those folks.

I pulled an all nighter to finish the wedding video and my brain is fried.

I'll go thru your posts tomorrow w/ fresh eyes.

thank god for the interweb and youtube. My friend can show his daughter and

son-in-law the video tomorrow on their 10th wedding anniversary.

Let you know my DVD burn success tomorrow.   Jim

• 28. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

You may have worked out the ImgBurn download issue by now, but if not

a. Try ImgBurn home link for the download

http://www.imgburn.com/

b. Try another browser, I have been working from Mozilla Firefox (now up to version 24.0) and have not had any problems with ImgBurn.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 29. Re: video clips play pixelated
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Google Chrome on PC also works perfectly, from you URL, though I have had it for years.

Hunt