3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2013 10:16 AM by timmy-mallet

Opening, editing & Exporting a pre-compressed internet video - best results? CS5.5

timmy-mallet

Hi there. I have an MP4 file here which is 640 x 360 and I'd like any tips please on importing, adding different sound and exporting it so as to keep the file as close to the original as possible - in terms of qualty and size. Really I don't want to touch the video at all, just imbed a different audio track and make it a bit longer to accomodate play-in and play-out of the soundtrack. Thanks so much for your help.

Timmy Mallet.

• 1. Re: Opening, editing & Exporting a pre-compressed internet video - best results? CS5.5
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Your best option for this is to not use Adobe software.  There are probably consumer tools out there which will allow you to strip out the audio and replace it without touching the video.  Adobe doesn't make anything that can do that.

• 2. Re: Opening, editing & Exporting a pre-compressed internet video - best results? CS5.5
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

If you have the legal rights to the video, ask the person who edited it in the first place to provide you with the original media files.

If you don't have the legal rights then the quality doesn't really matter much, does it?

If you have the rights and no access to the original files, then it gets tough. There are a few demuxers/muxers out there that theoretically can separate the audio from the video and allow you to replace it. But you are most likely just going to have to re-encode it and hope for the best.

• 3. Re: Opening, editing & Exporting a pre-compressed internet video - best results? CS5.5
              timmy-mallet Level 1

Hi, it's for a short, shot locally. I'm cleaning up the often badly redorded sound and composing the score.

The editor, who is currently away editing somewhere for the BBC, sent me a vimeo link, which dowloads as an MP4. In order to circulate my progress I wanted to knock up a quick edit on Premiere, and replicate the original vid quality as much as possible.... However whenever I try the resulting colours are badly rendered and the appearance and quality just aren't a patch in the original.

I've used the vid specs to create the timeline, and asked it to use the same settings for export.... but it defeats me how to get a decent result. I resorted to installing final cut on someone's PC in order to show them a decent quality vid with sound lol. Sure it's just my ignorance.

Thanks for your help and links,

T Mallet