9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2013 7:07 PM by jbowden

Buttons Work in Firefox, but not in Chrome, IE, or Safari

hries22

Hello!

I am building a website in Edge Animate and a few of my buttons ONLY work in Firefox - and not in any other browser.

For instance - on the main page (after opening the freezer door) clicking on the T-Shirt should bring up a box with a photo. This works in firefox, but in the other browsers...any thoughts?

http://www.pipesicleshop.com/WebsitePublishFolder/pipesicleshop.html

Thanks so much!

• 1. Re: Buttons Work in Firefox, but not in Chrome, IE, or Safari
          elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, hries22-

Did you get this sorted out?  I tried to click on your link, but it 404'd on me.

-Elaine

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Buttons Work in Firefox, but not in Chrome, IE, or Safari
            hries22 Level 1

Hi Elaine

Sorry about that! Thanks for checking in - I still have not sorted out the issue. Here is a new link:

http://www.pipesicleshop.com/pipesicleshop

Thanks so much! Cheers!

• 3. Re: Buttons Work in Firefox, but not in Chrome, IE, or Safari
              jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi there,

I see the problem you mention with buttons not working in non-Firefox browsers, but you'll need to provide some source code, example files, or your project files if you want to try to solve the problem.

Regards,

Joe

• 4. Re: Buttons Work in Firefox, but not in Chrome, IE, or Safari
                hries22 Level 1

Hey Joe

I'm new at this - what's the best way to get my source code/project files to you? Dropbox?

Thanks!

-Hunter

• 5. Re: Buttons Work in Firefox, but not in Chrome, IE, or Safari
                  jbowden Adobe Employee

Hello Hunter,

Dropbox is fine, or you can upload them to your files in Adobe's Creative Cloud: https://creative.adobe.com/files

Joe

• 6. Re: Buttons Work in Firefox, but not in Chrome, IE, or Safari
                    hries22 Level 1

Hey Joe

I uploaded everything to my public dropbox folder

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tkdwahpi4jthmzh/4X-wb4eQXe

Thanks so much!

Hunter

• 7. Re: Buttons Work in Firefox, but not in Chrome, IE, or Safari
                      jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi Hunter,

Thanks - I reviewed your composition files.

The immediate problem I see in your composition is that you are using both click and mousedown handlers on the same element - and mousedown executes before click finishes (click events are a combination of both mousedown and mouseup events). A timing issue is introduced because you hide the element in the mousedown event, which means the click event never finishes (because hiding an element means it is no longer going to respond to events). Why it works on Firefox is puzzling to me, but as you saw, this won't work in other browsers.

To fix this immediate problem, I'd recommend adding the hide command to your click handler, and eliminate the mousedown event. But then this introduces the problem to Firefox, and it shows other problems in Safari & Chrome. Which leads to a larger issue.

Everything is done in a single timeline (the main timeline) - this can be a problem at the level of complexity in your composition, especially when elements are being hidden and shown. I'd recommend you redesign it so that you use symbols for discrete bits (especially the buttons) and things the information panel. Try to reduce the complexity by modularizing them in this way, and test things in the browser as you work before moving on to the next thing.

Sorry not to have a quick and simple fix for you, but the problem is a complex one. Still, I hope you find this feedback helpful.

Regards,

Joe

• 8. Re: Buttons Work in Firefox, but not in Chrome, IE, or Safari
                        hries22 Level 1

Hey Joe

Thank you SO much for your help!

I'm definitely new to this whole thing - my background is in film/video production - hence the comfort of working within one timeline. I have a feeling you opened up my project and just saw chaos hahaha.

I'm going to start from scratch and give it another go...would you reccomend converting every button to a symbol? Then give the symbols  a mouseover, click, and mouseout?

Also - and this minor - but is there a way to get a button's mouseover area to recognize transparency? For instance - I'll use a .png with transparency for a button...let's say the T-shirt. I want the mouseover to activate only when the mouse is over the t-shirt, and not over the transparent area around the t-shirt...any thoughts?

Hopefully this first attempt gave you somewhat of an idea of what I'm trying to do. If you have any other suggestions or ideas on things I can do to adress the complexity issue, they would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Cheers

Hunter

• 9. Re: Buttons Work in Firefox, but not in Chrome, IE, or Safari
                          jbowden Adobe Employee

Hello again,

Yep, sounds like you've got the general idea.

hries22 wrote:

I'm going to start from scratch and give it another go...would you reccomend converting every button to a symbol? Then give the symbols  a mouseover, click, and mouseout?

I'd take all the elements that make up the button, and convert that into a symbol. Then you can go to labels with your code without worrying about the main timeline. Put all your code on the elements themselves, and not on the symbol instance.

hries22 wrote:

Also - and this minor - but is there a way to get a button's mouseover area to recognize transparency? For instance - I'll use a .png with transparency for a button...let's say the T-shirt. I want the mouseover to activate only when the mouse is over the t-shirt, and not over the transparent area around the t-shirt...any thoughts?

By default, the hit area of a div in HTML is its bounding box. Right off the top of my head, I'm not sure there's a way to change it...maybe someone else can chip in?

EDIT: here's an old-school way...could be a lot of work: http://www.svennerberg.com/2008/09/imagemap-rollover/

hth,

Joe