4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2013 11:40 AM by A.T. Romano

Just wondering whether rendering is required for unedited AVI on the Timeline?

orlandoVideography

I just bought Premiere Elements 11.0. I was currently using Premiere Elements 3.02. In 3.02 When importing a standard AVI File to the timeline, only transitions and Titles needed rendering before exporting to DvD. However, I noticed when doing the same project in 11.0, There is no Red Lines above the titles or Transitions for it to be rendered. When I cliked on Render Project, it seemed it was rendering the entire AVI file and it took a very long time. Is this Normal for 11.0? or is there a Patch I need?

• 1. Re: Just wondering whether rendering is required for unedited AVI on the Timeline?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You do not need to Render for output.

Rendering is only for previewing the Timeline. If you have edited, you can straight to Publish+Share.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Just wondering whether rendering is required for unedited AVI on the Timeline?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For more background on Rendering the Timeline, this article will provide some background: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3484339#3484339

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Just wondering whether rendering is required for unedited AVI on the Timeline?
              orlandoVideography Level 1

Thanks Bill. Guess I was so used to 3.02 so much and got surprised with 11.0. So far, it's very nice software. Haven't tried anything over 1hr and 30 min projects yet. I remember my 7.0 crashed alot after 1hr. Have a good day.

• 4. Re: Just wondering whether rendering is required for unedited AVI on the Timeline?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

orlandoVideography

Just to add a little bit more to the story of "rendering the Premiere Elements Timeline content".

Given that rendering the Timeline content is for previewing purposes (to get the best possible preview of your Timeline content when it plays back in the Edit Mode monitor. You can do that in 3 ways in Premiere Elements 11

a. Pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard

b. Expert workspace, Timeline Menu at top of workspace/Render Work Area

or

c. The Render tab to the right above the Timeline

You do not have to do this type of rendering for the program to allow you to move forward in the program. But, it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later.

But, there are 3 indicators used by the program to tell you whether or not it feels that you have the best possible preview.

a. orange line (red line used in versions earlier than 11) OVER the Timeline content is program indicator for rendering recommendation

b. no colored line OVER the Timeline content and green line OVER the Timeline content are program indicators for "you have the best possible preview".

c. waving your mouse cursor over the Render button above the Expert workspace Timeline results in a pop up recommending rendering if the program decides you are not getting the best possible preview.

The no colored line comes into this when you import a file for the first time to the Timeline and it is a native format. But once you edit this file, orange line with all its implications - render. After this render, that file will then only use the orange/green indicators and not the no colored line for it.

As always, rendering is most appropriate for transitions, effects, titles, and non native formats.

Remember to keep watch for pile ups of the preview files on the hard drive....if you have a SD project, the previews (for photos or video) are DV.AVI 720 x 480 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second and, for HD project (for photos and video), they are MPEG2.mpeg. 960 x 540 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second, Upper Field First accompanied by some other files such as .xmp.

And, the program does help out...if you want to render and the program decides you have the best possible preview, then all you will get from trying to initiate Timeline rendering is playback of the Timeline with no rendering.

Then there is the old story of saving/closing a project with a rendered Timeline only to reopen the project and find an orange/red line over the  content. Does not happen too often lately, but it can be a puzzlement. More on that other time if necessary.

ATR

ATR