15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2013 3:50 PM by A.T. Romano

PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import

annkinder1

PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import. It still shows the prior DVD's images in the thumbnail - even though once I play the DVD in Media Player, it is clearly different content.  If I attempt to Get Media, the program tells me it already exists.  How do I get the program to recognize a new DVD when I am importing new media?

• 1. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried rebooting your computer?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Along with Steve's suggestion, I have a few questions about your Project please:

Does your existing Project contain material from another DVD-Video already?

The reason that I ask that, is because the DVD-Video folder/file structure is the same, DVD-Video to DVD-Video, so you have the VIDEO_TS foler, with the same *general* VOB structure in each.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
              annkinder1 Level 1

yes, I have rebooted.

• 4. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
                annkinder1 Level 1

Yes, it contains the first DVD I uploaded.  How do I get it to recognize the second, third, etc.. one?  The same thumbnail shows up from the video that I have already imported.  I thought maybe it just used the same thumbnail, but then once I click Get Media, the system tells me that media already exists (even tho, clearly the DVD in the machine is not the same one that is showing in PE11).

Thank you so much to both for the quick replies!!

• 5. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

annkinder1

Please consider...

From what you wrote, it sounds like you are trying to rip VOBs from a DVD-VIDEO on a DVD disc. You are doing that by inserting the DVD into the DVD burner tray and, in Premiere Elements, using Add Media/"DVD Camera or Computer Drive"/Video Importer. If I am correct so far,

a. What do you have set for the Save In: in the Video Importer? Please go to that location which is probably Documents/Videos and see what files you have there and what their names are.

b. Then please put all of your prior VTS files that you find there into appropriate separately named folders.

c. Each time you do one of these ripping, set the Video Importer Save In for a designated folder.

Please let us know if that works for you.

You are currently trying to force a named file into an area that already has the same name.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

annkinder1

Just an add on note to supplement

You are currently trying to force a named file into an area that already has the same name.

Each of your different DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is going to give you its video files that you are after with the same naming

VTS_01_1.VOB

VTS_01_2.VOB

and so on, depending just how long this DVD-VIDEO is.

ATR

• 7. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
                      annkinder1 Level 1

Wow this sounds like you might be dead on with this - I have to check it and let you know.  Thanks !!

• 8. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Please do not give up yet.

You have a Project, where you Imported from the DVD-Video. Your current Source Files are linked to the Path, that includes your DVD player, because that was where the VOB's were located.

At this point, I would do a Save_As for your Project, for safety reasons. Then, Exit out of PrE. Put that first DVD-Video disc back into the multi-drive, but Copy the VIDEO_TS folder to your HDD, along with the VOB files.

With no disc in the multi-drive, when you Open that Save_As Project, you should get a dialog about "Where is file ____ ?" because the DVD-Video is unavailable. At that point, navigate to the location, where you made your Copy, and point to the "missing" VOB. That should link up, and then PrE will link up to the others, in that VIDEO_TS folder. See this article for more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4598705#4598705

Then, Copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the second DVD-Video, to your HDD, but in a different folder, than the first VIDEO_TS, or you will be asked if you want to overwrite the first - you do not.

Then, Import the VOB's from that second DVD-Video into your Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

For a bit of background, I feel that it is always better to Copy the VIDEO_TS folders, from DVD-Videos to the HDD, for several reasons, and your case points up one - Folder and File Naming issues in an Absolute Path, which PrE uses to link Assets.

Second, it will be MUCH faster accessing the VOB files from the HDD, than the multi-drive.

Last, to edit, if you did the rip from the DVD-Video disc in the multi-drive, you will always need that inserted, to edit, or you get the "Where is file ____ ?" and depending on your choices there, Media Offline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

You wrote:

Last, to edit, if you did the rip from the DVD-Video disc in the multi-drive, you will always need that inserted, to edit, or you get the "Where is file ____ ?" and depending on your choices there, Media Offline.

When you rip from the DVD-VIDEO disc in Premiere Elements, you will not longer need to have the DVD disc in the drive as you describe. The Video Importer copies the ripped VOBs to the computer hard drive location that you designated there in the Video Importer dialog, and the project traces back to those copies in the designated save location on the computer hard drive.

Why would you think otherwise?

ATR

• 11. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for that correction.

Hunt

• 12. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Question, regarding the Importation of the DVD-Video VOB's. If the OP can target the destination, on Import, and the linking is not back to the media in the multi-drive, then there should be no problem directing the Importer to Import a second, and additional DVD-Videos to different locations. Is that possible?

If so, I do not understand why the OP is having the issue with the second, and subsequent DVD-Videos not being allowed to Import.

Just curious, as I do not work with existing VOB material.

Thanks for the info,

Hunt

• 13. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

The details are in my reply to annkinder1, post 5 and 6 of this thread.

ATR

• 14. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

So, if I read your posts correctly, then the Importer will try to rip the DVD-Video to the exact same destination folder, which will obviously not be possible. If so, then that is not all that smart on Adobe's part, as I would anticipate the Importer would default to a new location folder, within the hierarchy, rather than attempt to Import to the same folder.

If that is the case, then all the OP has to do is just change the destination folder for the subsequent DVD-Videos, and all should be fine - correct?

If so, then simple!

Hunt

• 15. Re: PE11 doesn't recognize a new dvd for import
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Scenario all road tested and confirmed. Now we wait to see if that works for the user as it has for me and others.

ATR