8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2013 9:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Is there a way that to make text look like it is being written on the screen?

unBorn_1972

I once saw a tiltle (using the font edwardian script) that looked like it was being written on the screen.

I tried using the linear wipe transition, but this does not make the full effect i want.. for instance, when you make a letter "t" in cursive, you start at the bottom, then go up and then down and finally cross the "t". the wipe just went from left to right....

thanks

• 1. Re: Is there a way that to make text look like it is being written on the screen?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There is a tool that will do this in After Effects. But it's a tough effect to create in Premiere Elements.

• 2. Re: Is there a way that to make text look like it is being written on the screen?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

unBorn_1972

From your prior posts, it looks like you are working from Premiere Elements 11 Mac.

It might be painful doing this stroke by stroke of the letters, but, if you can accept letter by letter, you might create a title in the Premiere Elements 11 Titler, type your text using one of the script Fonts, apply a 4-Point Garbage Matte to the title with this script text, and then keyframe the Garbage Matte to reveal one letter at a time.

Premiere Elements Mac typically gets cut short on effects, but it is my recollection that it should have these garbage mattes.

There are also 3rd party softwares that do this beside Adobe After Effects. Someone posted on that recently, but I would have to go hunting for that thread.

ATR

• 3. Re: Is there a way that to make text look like it is being written on the screen?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I have done this for several Titles, using Photoshop and a Layer Mask, that gets "erased," revealing the letters. My Titles were of "handwriting with chalk" on a blackboard, so I could keep the edge of that Layer Mask, looking more like the "chalk." Photoshop also makes it easy to output Layer Comps for each "step" in the handwriting process. IIRC, I did about 5 Frames per Layer Comp on Import, but do not recall if I used an extremely short Cross-Dissolve Transition between those - I intened to do so, but just do not remember if I liked that, or went with just the Still Images? Will try to find that animation, and maybe create a full tutorial of the process. In my case, I also added an SFX of chalk on a chalkboard.

If you have Photoshop, it's really quite easy to pull off.

Now, I do not know if Photoshop Elements has Layer Masks yet, which make it so very easy to accomplish. One could do it backward, where the Text Layer gets Erased, and then one would have their full Image as the last in the sequence, and then the next would have a little bit of the Text removed, then a bit more, then a bit more - going backward, until the "writing surface" is clean. One could also do this with a Transparent Background, so that one saw the Video below, and no actual "writing surface" visible.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Is there a way that to make text look like it is being written on the screen?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Looking back, I found PSD's, but have not found the actual Project with the animation (probably archived on an external HDD), so I cannot answer whether I went with the Transitions yet.

In my case, to get the "looping" of the elements of the letters to "overlap," I "painted out" the Layer Mask, just as the letters would be handwritten.

This is an early version, before I "distressted" the Text a bit, to look more like chalk:

Chalkboard_01.png

Now, if you do not have Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, it might be a bit tougher to do. BluffTitler (a 3rd party titling program) has similar included, but IIRC, it's only ported for the PC - though they might have added Mac support?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Is there a way that to make text look like it is being written on the screen?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

You wrote

Now, I do not know if Photoshop Elements has Layer Masks yet, which make it so very easy to accomplish

Photoshop Elements has had a real layer mask in version 9, 10, and 11 Windows. Mac counterpart also from what I have read.

For versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than 9, there was a "fake layer mask" that could be used as one opportunity for those in need of a layer mask in their Photoshop Elements projects.

ATR

• 6. Re: Is there a way that to make text look like it is being written on the screen?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for that info. It had been several versions back, that I checked on Layer Masks in PsE. I even asked the question about them in the PsE Forum, and never got an answer.

Very nice to know that it now (and has had for a few versions) has Layer Masks - so very, very useful.

Greatly appreciated,

Hunt

PS - rather than ask elsewhere, I should have just dropped you a PM...

• 7. Re: Is there a way that to make text look like it is being written on the screen?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks for the follow up.

If you ever need the details on how to fake a layer mask in versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than 9, please let me know.

ATR

• 8. Re: Is there a way that to make text look like it is being written on the screen?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

As it would likely be to address a question here, I feel confident that you will handle that, when necessary, but do appreciate the offer.

As I have many versions of Ps, I have never taken the time to study PsE in depth. The old comparison chart between those two programs, is quite old now, and features get added with each version's release. I am always glad to have a PsE guru available. I get myself into trouble, from time to time, when I recommend something from Ps, when that function might not be available in PsE. As the two programs draw closer and closer, that should happen less often.

Thanks,

Hunt