6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2013 6:22 PM by A.T. Romano

PE11 add a video (.MOV) to a project but getting a generic error?

ElwoodPQuatro

I'm new to Premiere Elements 11 and I am trying to add a video (.MOV) to a project but I am getting a generic error?  Have tried several times with the same failed result.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: PE11 add a video (.MOV) to a project but getting a generic error?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ElwoodPQuatro

What computer is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

.MOV is just the file extension of your video file. We need to know the video and audio compressions involved as well as the frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio.

What camera is this .mov coming from?

If you do not know the properties of your .mov files, we can try to figure out what they are from the camera's video specifications. Best is to see the properties readout for the file from a program such as MediaInfo

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

What is your project preset? Are you setting it yourself manually or are you letting the program make an automatic set? Please check Edit Menu/Project Settings/General Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size to see what has been set.

Let us start here. The answers will be in the details. Are you having any other problems with any other video format? Just this .mov"?

And, the classical question, do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 11? A must do.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE11 add a video (.MOV) to a project but getting a generic error?
            ElwoodPQuatro Level 1

Hello ATR,

Thank you for the response!

Computer is an HP i7 running Win8.

Camera is a Kodak Easy Share Z650 (6.1Megapixel) still camera with the file being obtained thru the camera's video mode.

From the video's properties...

Item Type = MOV File

Attributes = N

Video Specs

Length = 00:00:21

Frame Width = 640

Frame Height = 480

Data Rate = 1861 kbps

Total Bitrate = 1990 kbps

Frame Rate = 11 Frames/sec

Audio Specs

Bit Rate = 129kbps

Channels = 1(Mono)

Audio Sample Rate = 16KHz

Hope the aformentioned answered some of your questions.

As far as prior problems, etc....

This is my first go at this software so I have no previous problems, history etc.

I will check on the software settings, Quicktime versions; please be patient as Win 8 is still a WIP.

Thanks again for your help.

ElwoodPQuatro

• 3. Re: PE11 add a video (.MOV) to a project but getting a generic error?
              ElwoodPQuatro Level 1

ATR,

Checked my computer; doesn't appear to have any version of Quick Time installed.  On Apple's website, the latest version only appears to go up to Win7 OS.

Also, another item I inadvertantly left out previously is that file size was 4.98 MB (5,229,707 bytes).

Thanks!

EPQ

• 4. Re: PE11 add a video (.MOV) to a project but getting a generic error?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

ElwoodPQuatro

Please go to the Apple web site and install the latest version of QuickTime.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

I have it installed on Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8 64 bit. That is what you want.

QuickTime is a requirement for your Premiere Elements.

Getting QuickTime installed should clear away a lot of the problems.

Make sure that you are set as Run As Administrator or are running Premiere Elements from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. Right click the Premiere Elements desktop icon, select Run As Administrator.

After addressing these 2 key points, we will move on to these .mov with file sizes of about 5 GB.

Thanks. Sounds like solvable problems.

ATR

• 5. Re: PE11 add a video (.MOV) to a project but getting a generic error?
                  ElwoodPQuatro Level 1

Hello ATR,

Per your two recent suggestions, I was able to successfully import the .MOV.  The adobe software was installed by the factory, but for whatever reason Quick Time, although a requirement, is not installed; go figure.

Thank you very much for your help in getting this matter resolved.

EPQ

• 6. Re: PE11 add a video (.MOV) to a project but getting a generic error?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ElwoodPQuatro

We are very pleased with your success.

Thanks for the follow up which is very helpful to all who read your thread here or find it online in the search for answers to their problems.

Continued success.

ATR