4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2013 10:52 PM by Salah Fadlabi

Question about formatting

SkyeParker

I hope I am asking this at the right place.  I am trying to create a resume using indesign  and I wanted to look exactly like this.

http://keithrozario.nfshost.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/col_andre_morgan_resume_full. jpg

I know enough about the program to know how to use paragraph and character styles and I know how to set up grids.  My question is how  Would you set up the main body of the resume?   Would there be a separate text box for each sentence?  A separate box for each section?  How do you line up  the light blue text on the left with the text to the right of it?  How would you go about creating the dotted horizontal separator lines?

Thank you for your help,

• 1. Re: Question about formatting
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

A bout blue text use anchor object.

A bout dotted horizontal line use a paragraph rules

underline.jpg

The main text body, it's a paragraph style with character nested style, and i think it's add a white space (non-break space) where character sytle will stop.

non breaking.jpg

• 2. Re: Question about formatting
            Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I know enough about the program to know how to use paragraph and character styles and I know how to set up grids.  My question is how  Would you set up the main body of the resume?   Would there be a separate text box for each sentence?  A separate box for each section?  How do you line up  the light blue text on the left with the text to the right of it?  How would you go about creating the dotted horizontal separator lines?

Salah has given you most of what you need. You don't need separate text frames for each section.

I would create the middle part where the programs are listed as a table.

• 3. Re: Question about formatting
              SkyeParker Level 1

Thanks a lot for your help.  I've done a little since that last post. Here is what I have now:

Screen Shot 2013-09-22 at 3.41.27 PM.png

My first question has to do with paragraph rules.  Sandee had mentioned that  I wouldn't need separate text frames for each section but what happens is when I insert a paragraph rule to get the dotted line horizontal separator, when I then hit return after that, it adds another horizontal dotted line instead of adding more text. I figure the way around this is by just having a separate text box for each section, then each can have its own horizontal separator at the bottom.  Is that a good way to do it?  I think I don't understand how paragraph rules work well enough.

In the profile section of the resume, I have two character styles which to apply i just highlight the text and click on the character style that I want (is that the best practice?)  Anyways "problem solver"  is the same character style as the bold text above it but for some reason it is coming up in grey  instead of black like the objects of the same character style above.  Does anyone know why that might be?

I created a paragraph style with a paragraph rule that has this horizontal dotted line. I applied the paragraph style to the profile section text Box and before I was done editing it. It looked great when I added the style. I have since added more text to that paragraph and now the paragraph rule is going through the text instead of below it where it should be. The education section paragraph has it applied the way I want it. how do I get that paragraph rule line back where it should be?

For some reason there is a box right around the address in my header.  Why is that there? How do I get rid of it?

How do I edit the tables so that the lines do not show up and just the text inside the cells does?

Thanks for your help,

• 4. Re: Question about formatting
                Salah Fadlabi Level 5

when I insert a paragraph rule to get the dotted line horizontal separator, when I then hit return after that, it adds another horizontal dotted line instead of adding more text.

First select the text, then apply paragraph style rules from Paragraph Style panel.

how do I get that paragraph rule line back where it should be?

Mouse right click on paragraph style rules on paragraph panel and select edit

Paragraph Rules>Offset

For some reason there is a box right around the address in my header.  Why is that there? How do I get rid of it?

I think this is stroke applied to text frame, select text frame and apply none color to stroke

How do I edit the tables so that the lines do not show up and just the text inside the cells does?

Insert text cursor in one of cell then Table menu>Select>Table and apply none color to table stroke