1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 23, 2013 6:46 AM by Sandee Cohen

is there a better way to create a pdf flipbook from indesing without exporting it to swf?

TrishFPage

Thank you Bob, I tried it - it still gives me a blank page - adobe says it cannot be done with the covers displayed as A4s and then the inside as spreads?  so would there be a better way of creating this book for people to download onto their computers?

• 1. Re: is there a better way to create a pdf flipbook from indesing without exporting it to swf?
          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

TrishFPage

First, you don't have to start a new discussion for each post. It's easier to keep track of the discussion if they're all together.

Next, if the only reason you're playing around with the SWF format is to get the page curl effect, may I gently suggest to give it up. I loved the page curl effect when it first came out and my students adored it. The the Page Curl is SWF only and it's difficult to get SWFs to play correctly.

They don't play on tablets, even if embedded into PDFs.

They don't play alone on tablets, even in browsers.

They don't play in PDFs on computers unless the user has downloaded the standalone Flash player.

They don't play as native SWFs on computers unless the user has the Flash application or has downloaded the standalone Flash player.

It's just not worth it. Really. It's way more trouble to deal with viewers who can't see what's on the page.

However, that's not to say you can't get the final result of a document that viewers can leaf through. But it would be a regular interactive PDF. Just use InDesign (you're already 3/4 of the way finished) to create buttons on the corners of the pages to move forward and backward on your pages.

Set the Page Transition to Uncover, with the Direction Left Up. It's the closest I can suggest to a page curl.

There may be some problems with the interactive elements, especially if Mac users open the PDF with Preview, but it's still better than hassling with SWFs.

Note: The book I co-wrote with Diane Burns that covers interactive documents from InDesign, does suggest using a placed SWF in an ID file. However, given how difficult it has become to use SWF in PDF files, I no longer recommend it.