5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2013 12:28 PM by Gustavo Del Vechio

Can you advice to a configurations of a new desktop to work?

Gustavo Del Vechio Level 3

Hi friends

I´m not an expert in computer specifications (at true I have just an overall knowledgment about this) and I do not want to compare computer manufactured by specific companies (this is not the intention of this post).

We work with Dell computers since 2005. Now we are thinking about buying a new desktop computer for work. We are focused on social movies, like weedings, birtdays and so on. We record and edit in FullHD. We work with Premiere, After Effects, Encore (also other Adobe softwares like Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and sometimes we do some work with 3Ds Max to make some animations.

Well, acessing the Dell´s website we perceived there´s two models of computers that has a similar price (but a considerable difference in configurations). The first is a New Dell XPS 8700 and the second is a workstation Dell Precision T3600.

New XPS 8700

> 4ª generation of the processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770 (3.4GHz up to 3.9GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0, 8 Threads, 8Mb Cache)

> Windows 8

> 16 GB (SDRAM DDR3, 1600 MHz)

> HD 2TB, SATA (7200 RPM) + INTEL® SRT 32Gb Solid State Drive

> Video board NVIDIA® GEFORCE® GTX 660 (1.5GB DDR5, 192-bit)

--

Workstation Dell Precision T3600

> Processor Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core E5-1603 (2.80 GHz, 10M Cache)

> Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit

> 4 GB (SDRAM DDR3, 1333 MHz)

> HD 250GB, 6.0Gb/s (7200 RPM)

> Video board nVidia® Quadro® 600 1GB

if you would choose from one of them, which one would you choose? Why?

With my poor expertise about computer specifications, I tend to choose the XPS, because of the bigger Ram memmory, the bigger HD...should I assume the video board and processor of XPS is worst than the Dell Precision??? this is why the price becomes similar?

Any advide?

Thank you a lot

Gustavo.