2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2013 11:58 AM by Joel Cherney

How do I ensure the words are aligned

ssALOIAS

Dear All,

I am having trouble actually ensuring the words are all left aligned in my address block.

Any ideas of how I can actually do this?

Here is the screen shot of a sample. I need the "I" and the "1" and the "L" all aligned exactly.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: How do I ensure the words are aligned
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You may never achieve what you think you want, at least not in a single frame, but I'd start by trying Optical Margin settings in the Story panel.

You have three different fonts there, and three weights, and three differnt glyphs, so there's bound to be som difference in the left side bearing designed into each one.

• 2. Re: How do I ensure the words are aligned
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Look at "Optical Margin Alignment" which works for the entire frame or story. Window -> Type and Tables -> Story

The words really are left-aligned, according to (I think) the side bearing defined in the font. I bet if you zoom out, or look at the printed version, the difference you're seeing zoomed in onscreen and next to guides will be much reduced.

In some cases (poorly designed fonts, families from different foundries used together with very different design assumptions) I've had to use very small thin spaces to make it work visually.