19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2015 4:24 AM by Snemanje poroke

Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip

Snemanje poroke Level 1

Dear Adobe users.

At certain day my Adobe Premiere CC application started to malfunction. Maybe certain Windows 7 update or Graphic card update caused that, because when I saw this problem on one project, all projects I opened were effected from that time on, and all new project as well.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
      When I apply any effect to any clip, the user interface freezes. It is working, but display is hanged:

- I can scrub on timeline, but timeline indicator does not move (clip plays on monitor or second full screen monitor and sound of scrubbing is there)

- I can disable/enable effect, but icon remains (I can see on picture that effect is en/diss)

- Effect can not be edited or removed

- On some effect whole Premiere freezes if I try to edit effect (kill application in task manager is needed)

- Program start responding (and I can edit effects) after I reset workspace. I must reset workspace after any/every effect is applyed to clip. Which is cumbersome.

- Problem exists with all custom saved workspaces and with all Premiere ones, as well with ones I create new. So probably not corrupted workspace.

- I have all updates from Windows, and latest software from GPU (I even tryed several different beta drivers from nVidia, but no changes at problem). 

I have two displays on nVidia GTX770 (ASUS) where one is program monitor, and one shows full screen picture. Problem is the same if only one display is used, but while testing this I found another scenario where GUI is reset, without reseting workspace via menu option: If focus is switched from EFFECT panel to PROGRAM panel, GUI is reset and I can work normaly. This work only if both panels are on same group, because program panel is hidden while effects panel is active. If I drag effects out (on second monitor), swithing focus have no effect. I need to reset workspace than.

Some effect does not only become nonresponsive but even hang whole Premiere if I try to edit them before I reset workspace (or switch effect->program). In that case I need to kill Premiere from process monitor (Task manager). If I reset workspace right after I place effect on clip, Premiere work normaly until I add new effect to new (or same) clip. If I COPY-PASTE effects from clip to clip, it work without reseting workspace.

When I close Premiere, most often it does not go OUT from process list. I must kill process before I want to run it again. Or restart PC, of course. I know when it does not exits because second full screen display doe not return back to desktop, but stays black until I kill Premiere. Premiere stays in memory even if I use only one display. QT32 process exits when I kill premiere process.

While Premiere do problems, Adobe Media Encoder does not. It starts it's own QT32 process and closes it properly, regardless Premiere is stuck or active.

I have slight idea that problem started when I installed Premiere CS6 and deinstalled it after leaving Encore CS6 on system. I think it is software problem, because I made no hardware cnages lately. System is almost 2 years old SB-E with INTEL DX79SR board. I reinstalled windows few months before, but problem started a good week ago after certain update or CS6 Encore related. I can't tell for shure. I didn't install/deinstall any other software from PC lately.

I use Premiere from version 6.5 on. I always solved my problems by reinstalling Windows and Premiere or by finding solution on forums. This time I found nothing on whole internet and I can't reinstall system before I finish long project. But this problem makes it harder to finish it. It seems system is slower and less responsive too, as it used to be.

Thank you VERY much for any hint or the solution.
      MIHAEL

• 1. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
          deezid86

I have exactly the same problem.
          Already reinstalled everything.

Didn't help.

Core i7 2630QM

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 560M (enabled Cuda (confirmed working) with supported_card.txt) newest driver (tried cuda driver on last installation, too)

Windows 8 Professional (Clean Install)

Edit:

Disabled all plugins (removed adobe\common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore).

Uninstalled every codec (dnxhd, utvideo, cineform studio)

Still the same problem...

Update

• 2. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
            Snemanje poroke Level 1

Hi,

You reinstalled windows and premiere and still have same problem?

I'm sad to hear that. You formated drive too?

My rig is 3930K, 32GB ram, win7 pro, asus GTX770.

So we ruled out GPU and platform, since you have laptop. I had slight problems with GPU on my DX79SR when replaced GTX570 (know issues). But after firware update it was ok until that day it started. But as I said problem started 2 or 3 months later.

It could be a Windows update problem than. This installs even when clean reinstall is made.

Oh: Do you have ENGLISH Windows and keaboard layout? I had problems with some software (even Adobe's) because of my Slovenian keyboard. I have Slovenian keyboard, but English Windows (it's easyer to search problems on Google).

BUT: I have another (home) computer on which I have second instance of Premiere CC (for testing really) and NO problem on this one! Windows are installed since day one (3 years). It's true I do not edit on it because it is Core 2 Duo E6800 / 4GB RAM, 2,5 HDD, integrated GPU, and does not play anything smooth, but I tryed to open a project from work computer and it opened fine (without half of the panels black) and operated normaly. All media offline, but titles were there and I could place effect on them and no problem. Than I created new project with some titles on it and send it to the work computer, but with problems this time. It stuck even while opening. I have SLO WIN7 PRO on home computer and all updates as on both.

So we ruled out Windows as well, I think. Or problem afect only English Windows, or problem is connected to other Adobe programs. On home computer I have only Premiere and Acrobat installed. On Work computer almost everything from CC.

I really hope reinstallation of windows will do the trick.

regards,

MIHAEL

• 3. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
              Clemens1982 Level 1

Hello there,

I have the exact same problem.

I am working on a fresh windows 7 machine (supermicro MB, Xeon 1650, quadro k4000, 64 gb ram) and I've noticed the same problem.

At first I thought it had something to do with my grafix driver and installed an older version and stuff like that, because my workspace behaved weird every time I made som custom changes to it.

But now I've come to the realisation that the effects panel, where all effects and presets are is the problem. Whenever this panel is open in my workspace all the strange behavior, as described in Snemanje poroke post, occurs. As soon as I close the effects panel everything is back to normal.

Wassup with that?

Cheers,

Clemens

UPDATE:

Just had a prolonged conversation with adobe support. The problem is related to my grafix card (nvidia quadro k4000). When we turned the nvidia grafix of and started premiere with the onboard grafix everythings fine, once the nvidia comes back into play the weird behavior starts again.

I am going to contact nvidia.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                Snemanje poroke Level 1

Thanks Clemens!

At first I was not shure it only effect panel is the culprit. Now It's clear as you said: No need to reset worspace, only switching to ANY panel other than effect and it is ok. Effect must not be opened at any time. Just swithing to effect panel, it freezes.

When I exit Premiere, it is important, that effect panel is hidden. Than project opens normaly without half black screen.

But sadly if I disable CUDA acceleration as you said, save and exit Premiere, problem is still there. I have GTX770 which is not (yet) officially supported, and I was affraid Adobe woud give GPU the reason without listening to facts, that problem started 3 months after I upgraded from GTX570. I'm "glad" you have Quadro GPU, which is officially supported and problem is there too, as with deezid86 on laptop. Maybe we'll find solution fast.

PS: I reinstalled Premiere, no help. But if I onstall
                Premiere on similar PC as mine (3630K, DX79TO, 16GB ram, nvidia GTX570) there is no problem on that machine.

So what is clear now, we all have nvidia cards, but on GTX570 even today it works. As far as I know, nvidia have same driver for both cards.

regards

MIHAEL

UPDATE:
                - I reinstalled Windows on same machine using spare HDD, updated to latest, let Windows update GPU drivers (which was latest anyway).

- I installed CC app and Premiere PRO and offered updates, but nothing else from CC.

- Add my GTX770 to accepted gpu list, and NO PROBLEM AT ALL with effect panel, regardless of CUDA or CPU only processing.

While I still like to find solution for my main instalation, which is very hard to reinstall (a lot of work on my everyday needed PC), we are ruling out this:

- It's not hardware related (reinstalation of windows helped to me on same PC)

- It's probably not related to Windows updates

- it's probably not related with Premiere Updates

I still think the problem happened while I installed CS6 over CC, to get Encore back.

• 5. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                  Clemens1982 Level 1

But I have the problem without having tried to install CS6.

What 3rd party stuff do you use with premiere. Here it's Cineform Studio, Matrox mxo mini, some Redgiant and Filmconvert.

Maybe there could be some sources for mistakes?

• 6. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                    Snemanje poroke Level 1

Clemens1982,

I do have Cineform too, and bunch of software (Corel, Microsoft, and lots of others), which I did not reinstall at last day trial. But all of that software I already had before, and few months Premiere worked ok, than at sudden day it stopped.

I hope fix will be found, as I really have 40 or 50 programs installed, which is tedious to install and find all licences, custom settings, etc.

Did your setup ever worked? Mine was ok, as I said, until some moment.

regards
                    MIHAEL

• 7. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                      Clemens1982 Level 1

of Hey Mihal

this error occured here on a fresh machine with a fresh installation of premiere cc.

I think at first everything was normal but at some point (driver installation for nvidia card or installation of  GoPro Cineform Studio Pro is my guess) this started to happen :-(

Does anyone else expirience this problem?

• 8. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                        carlosbg69

Me, too. My old computer was slow, but working fine, and then the main board died and so I bought a new, better, faster...etc. And once I finally managed to get everything set up, Win 8, Adobe CC, including GoPro Cineform Studio Pro and an older nvidia card (gtx560Ti), which had all been stable and working well with Adobe CC, I started noticing the problems discussed above while working with Premiere Pro. Every thing seems normal until I try to change an effect: e.g. the length of a dissolve, etc. The only work around I have discovered is to save whatever I have done, close Premiere, reopen it and continue working until I need to change an effect. I'm trying to finish a project and have no time to fiddle around, so I am grateful for those who have. The problem seems to narrow down to Cineform or nvidia. Has anyone asked Jake?

• 9. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                          carlosbg69 Level 1

I upgraded to windows 8.1 yesterday and symptoms in Premiere Pro CC seem to have disappeared.

• 10. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                            Snemanje poroke Level 1

I found culprit: It is not CINEFORM, it is GOPRO STUDIO.

Issue can be seen here https://vimeo.com/77198832.

Perfectly repeatable. I restored my system from 24th of august where Cineform Studio 1.3.2.170 was installed and it works ok. Than I upgraded to "GoPro" Studio and all problem are here. Perfectly repeatable problem/solution.

Since we have so much different hardware, we can rule out any hardware problem, even nVidia cards, but point on only culprit: GoPro.

As much as I loved Cineform, so much I hate anything GoPro. As with their cameras, this products are just not reliable nor professional any moore. GoPro studio is plain toy compared to original FirstLight and they just ignore m2t files from my Canon. It happens nothing when I load them. And they told me, FirstLight will be ceased too

I posted ticket to Cineform support. I adwise you do the same. It's just too strange we all have the problem, but they are "not seeing it".

As I suspected from beginnig - some sort of software update was... I just was't shure which one, since I updated much of a software at once.

Regards,

MIHAEL

• 11. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                              carlosbg69 Level 1

I wrote too soon. After a while of working with Premiere the symptoms returned, not as consistent, but they are there.

Snemanje poroke is on the right track. Thanks!!!!

• 12. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                                Snemanje poroke Level 1

Thanks to all for testing.

Maybe one will try similar as I do, but with some software monitoring tool while installing update, to see what GoPro Studio 2.0 does to system that bungles Premiere - and be able to fix just that file or something - Uninstalling GoPro does not help.

I have terms to complete some projects so I can't deal with this issue more than that. I reinstalled old backup and going on with old version, reinstalling missing changes on system from august. Cineform will respond next week and bring good news I hope.

Regards

MIHAEL

• 13. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                                  Jake Segraves - GoPro Level 1

Hi All,

This is an issue with GoPro Studio's latest installer. We'll be fixing it in the next release of GoPro Studio. in the meantime, you can resolve it by removing the CineForm entries in tthe following folder:

c:\program files\adobe\adboe premiere pro cc\settings\badgeicons\

Jake Segraves

Technical Support Manager

GoPro

• 14. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                                    Snemanje poroke Level 1

Dear Jake.

Thank you! A Correct solution after only 10 minutes aftey you wrote first e-mail to my ticket, than you already gave all of us a solution. We needed 25 days just to narrow problem around GoPro update : )

Removing all entries with Cineform name from proposed folder (even XML) made Premiere working as should again.

Jake, YOU are genius and we need people like that.

I just hope 2''x1'' inch cameras will not "eat" Cineform completely once. It is too precious for us.

Thank you,

Best regards,

MIHAEL

• 15. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                                      carlosbg69 Level 1

And thanks to you for your persistance, Mihael. Right on.

Sincerely,

Carlos

• 16. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                                        vfvandijk

Thank you so very much for this post and finding its solution!
                                        I built a brand new and quite a fast computer with NVidia card and encountered exactly this problem.
                                        I was on the edge of a nervous breakdown, did a search and thankfully found this post.
                                        I removed everything CineForm from the specified directory and now PP + fx seems to work fine !

Thanx again!

Warm regards

Victor.

• 17. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                                          vfvandijk Level 1

Thanxx for the correct answer to the problem I just encountered since last week (beginning of May 2014)!
                                          I'm happy again !

Warm regards,

Victor.

• 18. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                                            Andrei Goaga

Hello,

I have a similar problem with Premiere CC 2014.2 and Go Pro Studio and GeForce GTX760

The problem is that Premiere crashes when switching applications. Just by clicking the browser in the task bar for example, on Win 8.

Managed to find a solution in switching Mercury to Software, but that is not so nice performance wise.

So, I was thinking I might make CUDA work by deleting the Cineform content in here as suggested: c:\program files\adobe\adobe premiere pro cc\settings\badgeicons\

But this is not helping.

Any ideas?

*I made a clean uninstall, and when Premiere didn't show the Cineform options for export it worked like a charm.

After reinstaling Go Pro Studio and recieving acces to Cineform, Premiere started crashing when CUDA is enabled.

Thanks,

Andrei

• 19. Re: Scrambled interface and application freeze when effect is put on clip
                                              Snemanje poroke Level 1

Frankly I do not use Premiere CC 2014 (yet), because crashes a lot at my workflow. It might be CINEFORM, it might be my 3 years old sistem (which bugh me very much lately), but I have much work to do, so I rather stayed with original CC version, that works (for now).

I will see what time will tell, when I will have time to debug things.
                                              Sorry, no help this time.