5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2013 6:51 AM by SAFEHARBOR11

Am I Crazy? $6000 Laptop!

petrtyl1

Hi all.  I have an interesting question.  I work for the federal government and am about to purchase my site's first video editing computer.  I have about $6000 to spend; however, the machine has to be purchased through Dell's federal government website.  Having created video editing computers for personal use, I immediately set about creating a nice workstation.  But then I had a thought- it would be really, really nice if this machine was mobile.  That way I could work from home (can't use personal equipment for work), use it in anyone of multiple office locations at my site, take it with me to conferences/trainings, etc.  So, I then configured a new Dell m6700 laptop with the following parts:

i7-3840QM Processor (2.8Ghz with Turbo boost up to 3.6Ghz for all four cores)

32GB DDR3-1600Mhz Memory

NVIDIA Quadro K5000M 4GB video card

256GB SSD (mini card) for Operating System and Programs

256GB SSD for Cache

512GB SSD for Projects

1 TB 7200 RPM External Hard Drive for exports (esata connection)

Storage and backup on site's storage server (1GB lan)

Dell E-Port Replicator with USB 3.0 (docking station)

So, long story short- if you had $6000 to spend for a video editing machine would you chose a laptop?  If so, do you think this will be a decently fast machine?  I definitely appreciate any advice you have- I don't want to spend this amount of money and be disappointed, especially when the money is not my own.

Bryan

• 1. Re: Am I Crazy? $6000 Laptop!
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>has to be purchased through Dell's federal government website

That is a limiting factor... these previous discussions may help with configuration ideas, if you have other Dell options

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4717373

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4578948

-Edit 4k red video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1108124

>NVIDIA Quadro K5000M 4GB video card

Unless you have a (also very expensive) 10bit monitor, the Quadro line is over priced and under performing compared to the GTX line

Otherwise, should do well

• 2. Re: Am I Crazy? $6000 Laptop!
            Jim_Simon Level 9

if you had $6000 to spend for a video editing machine would you chose a laptop?

I wouldn't, mainly because the ideal editing machine has at least 5 and up to 10 or more internal hard drives.  You can only do that with a desktop.

• 3. Re: Am I Crazy? $6000 Laptop!
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I would not get any laptop that has 3000 series Intel chips since Haswell is out. Those are the 4000 series Intel Mobile. If you must look for a laptop then look for the Haswell laptops.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Am I Crazy? $6000 Laptop!
                petrtyl1 Level 1

Thanks for the help.  I really appreciate it. The links also helped me out.  I think I am going to go for the laptop, but wait until the end of October when Dell will have the Haswell cpu's available.  And not just because of the CPU- this is also when Dell will have the Quadro K5100m available (unfortunately the Quardo lineup is the only choice they offer for Nvidia graphics).  All specs point to it being as fast or faster than desktop Gtx 560 ti and Gtx 650 ti video cards- which should put this laptop on par with a good quad core desktop.  I'll probably outfit it with a fourth hard drive too, in addition to the esata drive and my network storage server.

• 5. Re: Am I Crazy? $6000 Laptop!
                  SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Here's a thought - with the $6000 budget, you can get a really good desktop workstation for $3500-4000, and spend the rest on a decent laptop for those occasions when you are on the move. Best of both worlds. Knowing that a laptop will never equal a desktop in performance, I would not limit myself to that as the only machine I had to work on.

Maybe you're locked into a Dell purchase for coporate reasons, but the 17" HP EliteBook machines with Core i7 and Nvidia 3000M graphics are really nice for Premiere. They have the connectivity that pro editors need also, with ExpressCard, Firewire, eSATA and USB 3.0 ports. Room to grow!

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers