4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2013 5:01 PM by Nancy OShea

How to position images

rickmorton Level 1

I'm new to DW. I thought, however, that if you have the grid turned on, you could just move things

around and position them where you want and the appropriate code would be written in the background.

I have a blank page with a grid. The cursor is blinking in the upper left hand corner. If I select Insert Image,

it goes there. I can't move it around and position it wherever I want. I thought this was the whole purpose

of a layout program like DW. Am I missing something?

• 1. Re: How to position images
          Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

rickmorton wrote:

I'm new to DW. I thought, however, that if you have the grid turned on, you could just move things around and position them where you want and the appropriate code would be written in the background.

You thought wrong.  DW is not a click & drag app like Photoshop or Illustrator.  In order to use DW effectively, you must have at least a working knowledge of HTML and it's relationship with CSS.  It's also very helpful to have a pre-built CSS layout or grid to jump start your projects.

Go to File > New > Blank page > HTML.  Select a layout from the 3rd panel & hit Create button.

To align elements on the page, use CSS floats and margins.

http://alt-web.com/DEMOS/3-CSS-boxes.shtml

Nancy O.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to position images
            Herbert2001 Level 4

Nancy is correct. Dreamweaver is not a pure visual web layout tool, and at least some basic html and css knowledge on your part is expected.

That said, a couple of web layout apps do exist: if any coding seems daunting to you, try either Adobe Muse or Xara Webdesigner.

• 3. Re: How to position images
              rickmorton Level 1

Thanks. Looks like I was mistaken. I have a little knowledge of HTML, but none really of CSS other than I know it exists. I did some work a long time ago in GoLive and it seems to me that was easier, although I'm sure not as powerful as DW. I'll look at Muse. Does that let you create a complete site like Dreamweaver? THanks.

• 4. Re: How to position images
                Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Muse is OK for hobby and personal web sites by non-coders.  But all that "ease of use" comes at a price which is limited features.  If all you want is quick & dirty, static HTML pages without having to learn any code, MU might be all you need.   Try MU and see what you think.

Later on, when you begin to crave more advanced features, you may regret going down this path. MU code is horrible to work with any other editor except MU.  So plan to use MU for the life of your site.

OTOH, There's not much you can't do with DW.   You're only limited by your imagination and coding skills which will no doubt improve over time. 

If you used GoLive, I don't think you'll be fully satisfied with MU, but the DW learning curve is much steeper than GL's was.  I think it all depends on how much time you have to devote to learning new skills.

Nancy O.

1 person found this helpful