10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2008 10:32 AM by JoeDaSilva

Fireworks Default size won't change

JimH430
      I'm new to Fireworks, so this may be dumb but....

Mac - CS3 Suite. OS 10.5.1, Dual GHz. - 4 GB RAM, Clean install of OS and CS3

My default size for a new document is set to 660 x 440 - 72 dpi. I know this because that is what Modify > Canvas says for Canvas size and Image size when I go up to it in the Menu. But when I open a new document/png, the size that comes up is 1800 x 116 - 300 dpi. Even the Tutorials for Fireworks CS3 (Lynda.com) say the default is 660 x 440 - 72 dpi.

I can not find anywhere to change the default, except in Modify>Canvas. It's not in preferences within the program. I have also dumped my preference files to the program and it didn't work. No matter what I do, I get a file that is 1800 x 116 - 300 dpi. I can change it from the New Document window but it's a pain to have to do this every time.

Do other people have this problem or am I not looking in the correct place within the program?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
        • 1. Re: Fireworks Default size won't change
          JoeDaSilva Level 4
          Do you mean it suggests that 1800x116 file size when you go to File -> New? You can change that value to whatever you want. It's going to take whatever is in your clipboard (at least on a pc) and use that for the suggestion.

Just like if you did a PrintScrn, then File -> New, it would suggest the size of the image in your clipboard, and in that case your screen resolution.
          • 2. Re: Fireworks Default size won't change
            JimH430 Level 1
            JoeyD thanks for the reply. I think there is more to this than just a simple fix. But to answer your question, there was nothing in my clipboard. I reset my Pram. also I never opened a file of that size.

I have since uninstalled and reinstalled the program and now it works as set up to 500 x 500 - 72 dpi.

But my tools don't work correctly as I listed in another post.

Something else is going on.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim
            • 3. Re: Fireworks Default size won't change
              r_cronier
              Is there a way to change back to default settings in Fireworks? I have been cropping some pictures for a weblog and I had changed a setting for something different, and now, when I crop the pic. and then go to modify- image- I change the size to the size of all the other pic.s I had done before but now it makes the pic. like 6 times smaller than I need it... If I could just reset Fireworks to the default settings it came with, that would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.
              • 4. Re: Fireworks Default size won't change
                r_cronier Level 1
                Is there a way to change back to default settings in Fireworks? I have been cropping some pictures for a weblog and I had changed a setting for something different, and now, when I crop the pic. and then go to modify- image- I change the size to the size of all the other pic.s I had done before but now it makes the pic. like 6 times smaller than I need it... If I could just reset Fireworks to the default settings it came with, that would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.
                • 5. Re: Fireworks Default size won't change
                  r_cronier Level 1
                  • 6. Re: Fireworks Default size won't change
                    Level 7
                    Is there a way to change back to default settings in Fireworks? I have been
                    cropping some pictures for a weblog and I had changed a setting for something
                    different, and now, when I crop the pic. and then go to modify- image- I change
                    the size to the size of all the other pic.s I had done before but now it makes
                    the pic. like 6 times smaller than I need it... If I could just reset Fireworks
                    to the default settings it came with, that would be great. Thanks in advance
                    for any help.

• 7. Re: Fireworks Default size won't change
                      r_cronier Level 1
                      oooops sry, i was lagging bad I guess and didnt mean to post 3 times, i will hit the button once and only once.. Again sorry.
                      • 8. Re: Fireworks Default size won't change
                        Mndance

I am new to CS3 and am having this same problem, but on a PC with XP2....the default size of the canvas on new documents seem to have changed from its default setting and now I can't get it back to the original size unless I manually modify...did you ever figure out the problem or find a solution??
                        • 9. Re: Fireworks Default size won't change
                          JoeDaSilva Level 4
                          The program expects you to change the size every time you create a new file. This is how it has worked since I started using it ten years ago. There is no "fix", as nothing is broken.
                          • 10. Re: Fireworks Default size won't change
                            JoeDaSilva Level 4
                            quote:

Originally posted by: r_cronier
                            problem...

Check the resolution is consistent when you resize the image.