3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2013 1:50 AM by PrintFusion45

Problem with attributes applied when copying and pasting text

Em** Level 1

This is just for example but... If I have a bold heading and then the next line is just regular body copy and I copy and paste text from another program and put my curser at the start of the body copy line, or replace the text from the body copy line, it is inserting the new text and making it bold like the heading on the previous line rather than regular like the line I'm inserting it into or replacing. To get around this I am inserting my text one character in from the start of the body copy line so it picks up the attributes of this previous character and then deleteing the character after. I also find the opposite where if I want to replace a paragraph, I'll copy and paste a paragraph and it will pick up the attributes from the paragraph below rather than the paragraph I'm replacing. It is driving me nuts, only started happening in CS5 and I'm finally sick to death.  Please help!!

• 1. Re: Problem with attributes applied when copying and pasting text
          PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

Create a new paragraph style from the Paragraph Styles panel for your body text. Select the paragraph of body text and apply the paragraph style. For header create another paragraph style and apply that paragraph style. After editing the header don't enter a hard return. Separate the header text frame from the body paragraph text frame.

• 2. Re: Problem with attributes applied when copying and pasting text
            Em** Level 1

Thanks PrintFusion45, I do use paragraph and character styles depending on the job but it is just another work around that takes time.

It doesn't matter if I do a soft or hard return.

I will usually use separate text frames for headings but if I have sub headings or other bold/italic/different text within my copy it is still a problem.

I'm not sure there is a fix to my problem - it is just really annoying, inefficient and doesn't make sense for it to happen this way - sigh.

• 3. Re: Problem with attributes applied when copying and pasting text
              PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

The basic InDesign workflow says that you have to do a local override, if you need multiple styles within the same paragraph. In this case you have to use a hard return after typing the heading or subheading to separate the body text from their respective headings. Creating paragraph styles may be time consuming but is a good practice and can be reused trhoughtout your documents if you're working with a book.