18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2013 5:40 PM by TwoReelFX Branched to a new discussion.

AE CC Slow after latest update?

TwoReelFX

I've noticed since the most recent CC update that AE is really unresponsive.  Long delays to clicks.  Saves take a few seconds.  Nothing changed on this editing station but the AE CC update. 

Win 7 64bit Pro

32GB RAM

2GB Nvidia

USB3 drives

Same as always, nothing changed as I said.  Please, forgive my sounding like a complete jerk, don't try to send me in the "chasing the tail" stunt on this one with "have you tried blah blah blah on the workstation bit".  The only thing that changed was the AE update.

What happened?  I've checked with other users who are reporting the same issue since this update.

• 2. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
          TwoReelFX Level 1

That's exactly what's happening.  Ugh.

I gotta say, after being a CC customer since it started, I'm not happy.  I've had more headaches over the last year than ever before with Adobe.  I'm constantly dealing with issues like this and worse when deadlines are on us. I feel like Adobe has put on a big smile and suckered me into a game of Russian Roulette.  Unfortunately, they put our livlihood on the line by doing so. Not cool. I think I kinda prefer the stand alone license model.  Either that or they really need to get much more on the ball with stability and performance issues over bells and whistles to distract the masses.

:-/

• 3. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

A fix for this issue is coming in a few weeks.

• 4. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
              TwoReelFX Level 1

Yeah, I read that.  Thank you. 

• 5. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
                TwoReelFX Level 1

Does anyone know if this is the case for CS6 too?

• 6. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Does anyone know if this is the case for CS6 too?

No, it's not.

The source of the bug is a change that we made in the menus of After Effects CC (12.0), and the fix will come in After Effects CC (12.1).

• 7. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
                    TwoReelFX Level 1

Ok, great.  At least there's a backup plan in a crunch.  Thanks Todd.

• 8. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
                      TwoReelFX Level 1

I have to say this bug is a big one.  It effects everything, moving around in the timeline, etc.  Using the CTI, etc.  I'm absolutely fuming right now because it's slowing us down so much due to responsiveness.

Adobe has really been doing some MAJOR f@#k ups lately.  Excuse my anger but this stuff has been totally screwing us here at our shop.

I'd really LOVE to know how Adobe plans to make up for these series of flubs over the last year towards its customers.  I can't express enough how displeased I am right now and what makes it worse is that we'll probably barely get any meaningful response as usual.

[vent over]

• 9. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> we'll probably barely get any meaningful response as usual.

I've told you when a fix is coming, as well as explaining the bug and how it occurred. How is that not a meaningful response?

• 10. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
                          TwoReelFX Level 1

That was not a personal judgement Todd. In fact, nothing to do with you directly.  You just relayed a message.  We get it.  That's fine.  No problem at all with you personally.  I'm not happy with the overall however.  That's all.  I know a fix is coming but it was a mistake that was unnecessary and clunky to begin with.  We're made to wait and be effected by these kinds of things on a routine basis.  Honestly, I'm just venting out of utter frustration because this effects us in impactful ways that I'm not at all convinced Adobe as a whole respects.

Best,

T

• 11. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Today, we released the After Effects CC (12.1) update, which fixes this slowness when using menus and keyboard shortcuts on some machines.

Try the update and let us know how it works for you.

• 12. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
                              TwoReelFX Level 1

Thanks Todd. 

Updated to latest.  Did testing.  There's obvious improvement in the dropdown menus performance.  However, there's no improvement in parameter controls on native AE effects (Hue/Saturation for example).  Key entry and slider interaction show a consistent 6-7 second lag between activation to update (some 10-15 timed tests across multiple parameters).  We've tested this across multiple native effects on basic layers (image, solid, adj, etc.). 

Our verdict:

• Partially addressed, at menu level.  Thank you very much for this.
                              • No change in parameter controls and screen refresh.  Appears independent of resolution setting (full, half, quarter, etc.) and preview mode (adaptive, fast, etc.).

Our testing was done in brand new projects and across multiple new comps on the latest update using only AE native presets.

Hope this helps. 

Best,

Tobias

p.s.  I forgot to mention that the lag mentioned above was also tested on layer parameters, (position, rotation, etc.).  Same results.

• 13. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Those are two entirely different issues.

Please submit a detailed bug report here for the issue that you're seeing.

It sounds like what you're describing is not a delay in the UI updating but a delay as the result of your change is rendered.

If you were to record a movie showing the exact issue and upload to a video-sharing site, then we could see exactly what you're talking about.

• 14. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
                                  TwoReelFX Level 1

Ah ok.

That's an excellent idea.  We'll do that. :-)

• 15. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
                                    TwoReelFX Level 1

Todd,

News. 

We just discovered something that seems to narrow things down a great deal.  All of our tests included text layers.  When starting a new project and comp, the performance issue noted above doesn't appear until the addition of a text layer to the composition or project.  The problem seems to be exacerbated by the font one may choose to use as well but is pervasive even minorly at the onset.  Our guess is the "locked" rasterization mode of the text layer where it seems every adjustment in the comp, regardless of layer, is forcing a re-raster/update under the hood at the text processing point.  The more text in the comp, the more apparant the problem.  We found that 6-7 second delays possible on about 10 lines of 36 point Times New Roman text layers.  I'd say this is definitely our culprit.  When the text layers are removed from a comp, miraculously the issue vanishes entirely and performance as smooth as silk.

We can figure out a work around that could work for us temporarily, i.e. create "plates" of simple text if applicable, but I do hope this helps things on your end.  If a quick fix to this can happen it would a huge plus!

Best,

T

• 16. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You're not using the ray-traced 3D renderer, are you?

• 17. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
                                        TwoReelFX Level 1

Nope. Classic.

• 18. Re: AE CC Slow after latest update?
                                          TwoReelFX Level 1

Just wanted to add a quick note on this. 

Although we can "cheat" with workarounds on this using image plates, we effectively cannot use any animation procedures on text due to this condition.  There's no way we can carry on with a workflow where there's 6-10 seconds refresh delays on every parameter interaction in a comp where text is present.  That's a pretty raw deal.  Given that this is entirely unreasonable from a production standpoint, I'd like to encourage you guys to consider this a serious "bug" although perhaps it's not officially one.  I don't know that your criteria system is in house.

Just my two cents.  Thank you again Todd for your responsiveness.  You obviously take your work very seriously there and we over on this end appreciate you.

Best,

T