27 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2013 10:36 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Why are these basic actions so hard?

rtalber Level 1

I'm new to CS6 but not to video editing tools. I'm shocked that some basic controls are either missing or very hard to find. Can anybody tell me whether there's a convenient way to:

• Enter a number (e.g. "00;00;04;00") to specify the duration of a clip or set of clips? I can't find a place to do it in the Effect Controls window.
      • Widen or narrow the timeline display without using the awkward Ctrl-+ keystrokes or manipulating the tiny slider control below the timeline? Perhaps an easy gesture?
      • Select a very narrow (short) clip when hovering over clip only produces trim cursors? I don't want to expand and compress the timeline just to do this.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?
          joe bloe premiere Level 5
          • Enter a number (e.g. "00;00;04;00") to specify the duration of a clip or set of clips? I can't find a place to do it in the Effect Controls window.

Not sure what this means.

• Widen or narrow the timeline display without using the awkward Ctrl-+ keystrokes or manipulating the tiny slider control below the timeline? Perhaps an easy gesture?

You can Alt+Roll the mouse wheel.

• Select a very narrow (short) clip when hovering over clip only produces trim cursors? I don't want to expand and compress the timeline just to do this.

Very irritating, and the source of lots of complaints on release.

Unfortunately, this is unlikely to change in CS6.

CS6 will get bug fixes and security updates. but I feel sure

this would be in the category of a 'new feature'.

The consolation is that it is better in CC7*.

* Premiere Pro CC (7.0.1)

note:

Be sure you are updated to the latest version (CS6.0.5).

Within Premiere:  Help > Updates...

• 2. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?
            rtalber Level 1

Thank you very much for the Alt+mouse wheel shortcut!!!

My first question is pretty basic. Rather than use the mouse to trim a clip from 3 seconds to 2 seconds, there must be a way to select the clip and enter "00;00;02;00" somewhere. I sure the hell can't find it and I've read that there's a place to set clip duration in the Effect Controls window.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

joe bloe premiere wrote:

Unfortunately, this is unlikely to change in CS6.

CS6 will get bug fixes and security updates. but I feel sure

this would be in the category of a 'new feature'.

The consolation is that it is better in CC7*.

* Premiere Pro CC (7.0.1)

Hi joe bloe premiere,

Slimmer trim cursors are part of the October release of Premiere Pro CC. Everyone can read more about that here: http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/09/adobe-premiere-pro-cc-october-2013-release.html

Thanks,

Kevin

• 4. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?

Thanks for the clarification Kevin!

(I still run CS6.0.5)

• 5. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?

...there must be a way to select the clip and enter "00;00;02;00" somewhere.

You can...

Right-click a clip in the Timeline, select 'Speed/Duration...'.

Click the 'Link' button to unlink speed and duration.

Enter a new duration.

SpeedDuration.PNG

Kinda clunky with too many steps, but it works.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?

rtalber wrote:

Hi rtalber,

Do you mean set the duration of selected clips in the Timeline? Yes, check out the Clip > Speed/Duration function.

Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 10.36.05 AM.jpg

Thanks,

Kevin

• 7. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?

I should have thought of that!

• 8. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?
                        rtalber Level 1

Yes, clunky but I find it does work on groups of clips. That's very nice.

As is the help I've received on this forum. Any shortcomings in the functionality of CS6 is more than offset by the excellent crowd-sourced help on the product.

------- Rick

• 9. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?

rtalber wrote:

Yes, clunky but I find it does work on groups of clips. That's very nice.

As is the help I've received on this forum. Any shortcomings in the functionality of CS6 is more than offset by the excellent crowd-sourced help on the product.

------- Rick

Hi Rick,

You think it's clunky? What would be better? You can make a feature request with your ideas here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Yes, the forums are a really helpful community. Hang out any time you like!

joe bloe premiere wrote:

I should have thought of that!

You did! And with an image with no border to boot!

Thanks,

Kevin

• 10. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?

Yeah... but I left out the slick looking shadow.

note:

" style="border: none !important;"

• 11. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?
                              rtalber Level 1

As long as I'm on a roll here with your gracious help, I'll ask another dumb question:

• Is it possible to substitute one clip in place of another by entering the new clip's name somewhere?

For example I've got firstclip on the timeline and have set its duration and transitions in and out. I now would like secondclilp to replace firstclip retaining the same duration and transitions. I know there might be a problem if the duration of firstclip is longer than secondclip, but this would be a very handy feature for me to use. I'd like to avoid deleting firstclip, dragging in secondclip, then resetting duration, transitions, etc.

Thanks again!

• 12. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?

You think it's clunky? What would be better?

Move it into the Effect Controls Panel as a 'fixed effect'

along with Time Remapping.

• 13. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?
                                  • Is it possible to substitute one clip in place of another by entering the new clip's name somewhere?

Alt+Drag and drop the clip from the Project Panel (or Source Monitor)

onto the target clip in the Timeline to replace.

• 14. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?
                                    rtalber Level 1

Thanks! And I'll press my luck with one more dumb question:

What work process do people follow for creating a film using CS6 that includes animated text? Many other non-linear editors have built-in text and object motion effects but PP apparently doesn't. I think I can achieve the simple text movement and scaling effect I want by uising CS6 After Effects but the interplay between AE and PP seems extraordinarily complex.

In my PP sequence, I have created a couple of title screens that represent the start frame and the end frame of the animated text sequence. I thought I could just move these titles screens into AE, create the animated intermediary frames in AE, and then copy the new intermediary frames back into PP. After hours of poking around, I'm coming to the sad conclusion that PP title screens can't be imported into AE. Can this possibly be true? And, if so, how does one achieve a simple text or object animation in a PP sequence? Unfortunately, I've got 25+ points in my PP sequence where I'd like to have the text animate. I don't want to re-create all 25 start and end frames again in AE.

Thanks!

• 15. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?

What work process do people follow for creating a film using CS6 that includes animated text? Many other non-linear editors have built-in text and object motion effects but PP apparently doesn't.

I do all complex titles in Ae.

You need to study up on Dynamic Linking.

Premiere Pro / Adobe Dynamic Link

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS318FB3AB-E1D1-40f7-9FD9-BB04A6F6A465.ht ml

Dynamic Link workflows in Premiere Pro

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-beginner-classes-with-dennis-radeke/episode-41-dynamic-lin k-workflows-in-premiere-pro/

After Effects / Dynamic Link and After Effects

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS92A6319B-B1EB-4b49-A09A-9FFE83E6CD37.h tml

I thought I could just move these titles screens into AE, create the animated intermediary frames in AE, and then copy the new intermediary frames back into PP. After hours of poking around, I'm coming to the sad conclusion that PP title screens can't be imported into AE. Can this possibly be true?

Yep.

I've got 25+ points in my PP sequence where I'd like to have the text animate. I don't want to re-create all 25 start and end frames again in AE.

Dynamic Linking is the best way.

Unfortunately, you will need to re-create the titles.

• 16. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?
                                        rtalber Level 1

My initial wade into dynamic links gave me a dynamic headache but I guess I'll start climbing that curve.

Quick question - if I decide to recreate my start and end PP title screens in AE, is there any way you know of to use the PP title screens as a template (or temporary background, perhaps) to ease the process of recreating them in AE?

Thanks!

• 17. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?

If you select your video and titles in the Premiere Timeline

when you use the 'Replace With Ae Comp" command,

it will send an empty, black Solid layer to Ae in place of the titles

that you can then use as reference for timing.

Keyframes (Motion / Opacity etc.) are retained, just not the text.

note:

It is best to create a new thread for a new question subject.

That makes it easier for other users to search and find

the information if they are having a related concern.

• 18. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?
                                            rtalber Level 1

Thanks Joe. It's the layout of the text that I really need to duplicate since the text in the end point frame has to align with text in subsequent frames in the PP sequence. There doesn't seem like an easy way to do this, short of reproducing everything in AE. Maybe that's where I'll start next time I do a similar project.

Thanks for your help.

-------- Rick

• 19. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?

Live and learn.

• 20. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?
                                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

To help you along, just export the title as a PNG from Premiere Pro, adding it back into the project as you do so. Then it can be used as a reference in Ae with which to build your animated text from scratch.

I think many of us just start our titles in Ae if we are inclined to do any significant animation.  Simply moving the title around using the Motion effect in Pr is enough for most users, but real animation requires Ae.

• 21. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?
                                                  Media Man 1000 Level 1

I agree with Steven.  You can go a long way with just the basic Motion effects in PP.  Here is an example:   http://youtu.be/plZbzdRTz4k

All the video was done in PP CS6.  The text and clip movements were done with key frames.  The best part was I only had to do two movement paths.  One from bottom left screen to top right screen and one from bottom right screen to top left screen.  Then copied these paths to different clips.  Real easy.  Real fast.

• 22. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?

Media Man 1000 wrote:

Real easy.  Real fast.

...and real basic.

I agree with Steven:

"Simply moving the title around using the Motion effect in Pr

is enough for most users, but real animation requires Ae."

For complex title treatments, Pr and Ae are in different leagues.

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

To help you along, just export the title as a PNG from

Premiere Pro, adding it back into the project as you do so.

Then it can be used as a reference in Ae with which to build

your animated text from scratch.

A good suggestion that can save time recreating a text layout.

• 23. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?
                                                      rtalber Level 1

Were you able to do the zooming of the text just in PP??? I thought that feature wasn't supported.

-Rick

• 24. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?

Not a zoom... likely a keyframed Motion Effect > Scale.

Premiere has no 3D space, no camera, no motion blur etc.

Also, Premiere and Ae do not handle text in the same way.

Ae retains the text vector shapes as you scale (or move

toward camera in z-space), Premiere doesn't.

The result in Premiere is fuzzy edged text as you scale up.

The result in Ae is clean edges, regardless of scale.

Premiere / font size 40 / scaled to 600% (Premiere's scaling limit):

Pr.PNG

After Effects / font size 40 / scaled to 600% (Ae has no 600% limit):

Ae.PNG

These are only a couple of fundamental reasons

why Ae is far superior in dealing with text animation.

• 25. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?
                                                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Joe is correct, of course, about zooming in. But that isn't what you should be doing. Not exactly.

What you do is you create your title with the font at the largest size you need. Then you scale the title down to the smallest you need. That way, when you zoom, you are only taking it back to 100%, which looks fine.

It is possible that you might want such a large font that you actually start at 5% and zoom up to 600% in order to zoom in through the middle of a zero or the letter "O" for example. But at that point the title is zooming fast enough that the pixelization past 100% is not particularly relevant.

Play with it a bit and you will see what I mean.

• 26. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?

Along with the continuous rasterization of vector text in Ae,

another BIG Ae advantage is the dozens of Animation Presets

designed specifically for text:

Presets.PNG

note:

The affects of scaling down vector text in Ae vs.

scaling down text in Pr carries the exact same implications.

It is just a more subtle difference (and harder to see in

an image posted in a Forum).

Vector scaling is superior, either up or down.

• 27. Re: Why are these basic actions so hard?
                                                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

And one of the coolest things about the text animation in Ae is that the effects in Bridge actually show the motion. There seems to be a built in animation designed for that purpose. So you don't have to actually apply the preset to see what it does.