16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2013 2:11 AM by N22515

Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?

BDKuehn

I have been looking for Mac software that supports full 1080p60 video out of my Sony camcorder (HDR-PJ650V).  So far I've had no luck.  Everything downconverts.  Anyone know if Elements 12 will support 1080p60 without downconverting?

• 1. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements 12 definitely supports 1920x1080p AVCHD, which the camcorder shoots. It will also edit this camcorder's video in 1920x1080i.

• 2. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?
            BDKuehn Level 1

Thanks Steve.  Prior versions seem to support either 1080i60 or 1080p30 on AVHC.  You could import video recorded at 1080p60, but PE (and final cut and FCE) would only let you archive, edit and export video at 60i or 30p.  I'm hoping to archive, edit and export at full on 60p.  I think your answer suggests that PE12 will do the same--import video that was recorded in 60p, but then let you archive, edit and export at 30p or 60i.  Is that your understanding?

• 3. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?

Well,  you can set your project up for 1080p and import 1080p and, using the Advanced options under AVCHD, you can output a video at Automatic (Based on Source). Will that help you?

I don't have any 1080p60 footage to test a throughput.

• 4. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?

Did some checking using AVCHD 60p.

Although I used the project settings for 1080p60 and the Based on Source output, my output was 30p.

EDIT

I need to do more research. Apparently MediaInfo shows the footage from my camcorder as being 30 fps also. I'll need to get some true 1080p60 before I can say definitively what the workflow is. Sorry.

• 5. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

BUKuehnSG

I have yet to find the "Based on Source Output" to work in Premiere Elements. It is not you or your particular footage.

Best set the value or find an export path that will allow you to do so.

Plan: Premiere Elements 12 Windows. Manually set project preset to NTSC AVCHD AVCHD 1080p60.

For Export: Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with presets = MP4- H.264 1920 x 1080 p30 (that is not a misprint)

Then, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset, make sure that the Video Tab export settings look like the following:

1080p60.JPG

This was done with genuine 1080p60 video.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?

Yes, if you select the MP4 1920x1080p30, you can produce a 1080p60 MP4.

But is it possible to create to create a 1920x1080p60 M2TS file? One that Premiere Elements will use at 1080p source footage without re-rendering?

• 7. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

There is no .m2ts export from Premiere Elements (any version), well maybe with the exception of the video stream in the STREAM Folder in the BDMV Folder of the burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc or AVCHD on DVD disc. The workflow that I suggested for the 1080p60 seems to meet all the criteria set forth and yields good results.

Please cite your experiences with .m2ts or .m2t in Premiere Elements were you were able to achieve non-re-encoding of 1080p30 or 1080p60 Timeline content sent through the Publish+Share/Computer choices? And, I will think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?

It's not meant as a challenge, ATR. I'm just asking.

Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the M2T 1920x1080 output produces a Full AVCHD video that loads into a Premiere Elements project natively.

I'd like to know how to output a similar 1080p60 video -- or if it's even possible.

• 9. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Just so I am completely sure we are together on this...are you saying

a. You have a 1080p60 which is really 1920 x 1080 @ 59.94 progressive frames per second with a .m2t file extension.

and

b. It imports natively into Premiere Elements 11 or 12

and

c. You want to expor that 1080p Timeline specifically to 1920 x 1080 @ 59.94 progressive frames per second with that .m2t file extension. A .mp4 file extension for this will not do?

It is easy if you can settle for a 1080p60 (59.94) as an .mp4.

Is that the question?

I am working on some ideas.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?

That's it. I'm trying to see if Premiere Elements 11 or 12 is capable of a 1080p60 .m2ts native workflow.

BTW, if you or anyone else can provide me with 10 seconds to a minute of 1080p60 raw footage, I'd love to do some experimenting on my own too. My cam is apparently not capable of shooting true 60p.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Again, you can import a file with a .m2ts file extension, but you are not going to export with .m2ts, rather .m2t.

Getting the job done as .m2t per your requirements in this case goes to the "Automatic (based on source)" option in export settings. It has never functioned properly for me in the past, and it is not working for me now with versions 11 and 12. I have never taken the time to try to find out why. Has it ever worked for you in the past? In the case of trying to export 1080p60 with the AVCHD .m2t settings, it is a deal breaker. I need to make time to try to figure out the whys. Working on that.

But in the meanwhile, here is my devious route to the end result requested. I am proceeding with the given that "native" is being defined by you here as the presence of no colored line over the "1080p60" when it is first dragged to the Premiere Elements Timeline.

1. 59.94 versus 60. If the AVCHD 1080p60 has a frame rate of 59.94 progressive frames per second, not 60 as can be the case, the AVCHD 1080p60 as .m2t or .mp4 will import natively with the project preset = NTSC AVCHD AVCHD 1080p60 in Premiere Elements 11 or 12. No colored line over that content. In one of the 1080p60 files that I have, the frame rate is actually 60 progressive frames per second. That will not import "natively" in the context that there will be an orange line of its content when it is dragged to the 1080p60 Timeline for the first time.

2. So, if I had a 1080p60 (really 59.94), whether I use it as m2t or rename it to .mp4, I get

a. a file that will import "natively"

b. a file that can get me a 1080p60 via Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD/ with preset MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30 (1080p60 with adjusts under Advanced Button/Video Tab).

c. a saved 1080p60 .mp4 file whose file extension can be renamed to .m2t.

In the case of the originator of this thread, I do not see any of what we are speculating on being relevant to the goals that were defined by this poster. Perhaps, further details might convince me otherwise. I do not see native as defined by the Premiere Elements 11 or 12 rendering indicator system blocking the poster from getting excellent results with the 1080p60 to 1080p60 that I have described back in post 5.

Key points

a. the criteria that Premiere Elements 11 and 12 are using to lead you to define "native"

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

b. why "automatic (based on source)" is not working as advertised...currently looking into all interpretations of the option

Please check this out. I will update on any significant findings.

ATR

• 12. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?
                                whsprague Level 4

Steve Grisetti wrote:

BTW, if you or anyone else can provide me with 10 seconds to a minute of 1080p60 raw footage, I'd love to do some experimenting on my own too. My cam is apparently not capable of shooting true 60p.

Thanks.

Steve,

I would love to help you with that!  You have helped me many times in various ways for the last couple of years.  I would like to return the favor. 

Can you send me a private message with instructions?  I can send all the 1080p60 AVCHD clips you can use via dropbox.  I have two Sony and one Panasonic camcorders that are AVCHD.  (Unlike you, my video "career" is so short that I own only newer cameras from Sony and Panasonic that are part of their AVCHD licensing program.  My reading suggests that Canon has never paid for the AVCHD license.  So if you are a Canon owner, you can't use AVCHD settings. ) 

I think that you will find 11 (and probably 12) have no issue reading 1080p60 .m2ts or other AVCHD files.  However, Premier Elements 11 does not have a 1080p60 output preset to match.  I have created my own user preset for that, but it will not be a .m2ts file.

In some video discussions, the concept of "smart rendering" is discussed and desired.  In simple terms it means that output frames are exact copies of any input frames that are unchanged.  Only frames that have transitions, effects or adjustments applied are "rendered" to output.   Fans of that approach expect output .m2ts file picture quality to be exactly equal to .m2ts input file picture quality.  

Sony and Panasonic include software with there cameras that will manage clips in a "lossless" fashion.  But, creative editing is very limited.  I've read about only one third party NLE that promotes "smart rendering" capability.  

I was hoping PrE 12 would have included "smart rendering", or something similar.  I'm disapointed that it does not.

Bill

• 14. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?
                                  whsprague Level 4

Steve,

I sent you a private message with my email address. 

Bill

• 15. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?

Thank you, Bill! With a true 1080p60 video clip, I'll be able to do more research.

• 16. Re: Does Premiere Elements 12 support 1080p60 video (specifically from the Sony HDR-PJ650V)?
                                      N22515

Hello, unfortunately export (sharing to PC) a project to AVCHD 1080p60 (for NTSC countries) as well as AVCHD 1080p50 (for PAL countries) using MPEG4 Part 10 (aka H.264, AVC) as video compressor and Dolby Digital as audio compressor multiplexed in an MPEG-2 container is still not available (possible) in Premiere Elements 12.

Yes, you can export to an *.MP4 file (container), but that is using AAC as audio compressor, which is ok - you get a *.MP4 file.

Yes, you can export to an *.M2T file using MPEG4 Part 10 as video and Dolby Digital as audio compressor, but that's limited to 1080i and produces not an file according to AVCHD specifications.

- Still no valid *.MTS or *.M2TS (AVCHD specification file extentions) files are produced

- Still export according to the AVCHD 2.0 specification is missing

- *.M2T seems not to be an valid AVCHD specification file extention

I tried all of that with private 1080p50 (*.MTS file) footage last night.

See www.avchd-info.org for more about valid AVCHD specifications.

I'm also suffering on and waiting for that ... or if somebody knows - really "knows", not just "thinking", "assuming" etc. - let me/us know.

Regards