12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2013 3:35 AM by Peter Spier

Place images with same DPI as in Photoshop.

Joe_Caldwell Level 1

Hello, everyone.

This is somewhat urgent so I would appreciate any help I can get on this issue.

I am placing several dozen graphics on a multi page In Design document. These images or graphics were prepared at 200 dpi in Photoshop from scanned images. I have tried to place them on the pages of my documents but they appear diferent in size than the original (larger in all cases I've checked).

Is there a way to place these graphics or images on the pages of my In Design document and set the resolution to 200 dpi so that when images are placed they look identical in size as the original ?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Place images with same DPI as in Photoshop.
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The size you see on screen in ID is not necessarily the same as you will see in Photoshop -- they're completely different programs -- and it will depend onthe zoom factors you use for both programs. Waht matters in ID is the scale, and the Effective PPI, which you can read in the Info panel. If you palce the photos at 100% they will print the same size as they do at 100% from Photoshop, and will have the same 200 ppi resolution.

• 2. Re: Place images with same DPI as in Photoshop.
            Joe_Caldwell Level 1

Hi, Peter.

This is what I am trying to do but need the program to be set to do this by default.

In other words I want In Design to be set up (an universal setting or just the setting for this one document) so that everytime I place an image it is placed at 100%.

Is there a way to do this ?

• 3. Re: Place images with same DPI as in Photoshop.

What are you doing now?

The easy way to be sure the photo is palced at 100% is to click and relase the loaded place gun cursor in an empty space and let ID draw the frame. If you place into an existing frame there may be frame fitting options applied that scale the image, and if you click and drag as you place ID is going to scale the image to the size you drag.

• 4. Re: Place images with same DPI as in Photoshop.
                Joe_Caldwell Level 1

Right now I am just dragging and dropping the image from a folder onto my InDesign page. I simply click on the page after dragging the image. I am not moving the cursor to scale or trying to paste the image onto a frame.

I would like to drop the image on the page and see it appear at 100% scale so that I can move it around and reposition it on my page.

• 5. Re: Place images with same DPI as in Photoshop.
                  John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Under normal circumstances, no change occurs to image dimensions or Photoshop assigned resolution when images are placed in InDesign. How are you checking their size?

• 6. Re: Place images with same DPI as in Photoshop.
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

With the image selected, open the info panel. If the effective and

actual resolutions are the same, then the image is being placed at 100%

• 7. Re: Place images with same DPI as in Photoshop.
                      Joe_Caldwell Level 1

Hi, Bob and John.

You are absolutely correct. I think I located the problem and it ocurred in my own workflow.

I first scanned the documents with Photoshop at 300 dpi and save them as TIFF images. Then I converted these color TIFF images to Grayscale and reduced the resolution from 300 dpi to 200 dpi. I was expecting these images to be 200 dpi in resolution.

The problem is that I forgot the third step in my workflow. In order to compress these images I used the Save for Web command in Photoshop. I believe images saved using this command are kept at their original size but the resolution is changed to 72 dpi. This is what I found in the info panel according to Bob's suggestion. The images I have been placing in InDesign have both the effective and actual resolutions of 72 dpi.

Could this be the problem I am experiencing ?

Thank you for your help.

• 8. Re: Place images with same DPI as in Photoshop.
                        HeyMikey Level 3

Hi Joe,

That sounds like you found the problem. Glad you worked it out!

Cheers,

-Mikey

• 9. Re: Place images with same DPI as in Photoshop.
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Yes, that's the problem. Save for web means just that.

I'm glad you got to the bottom of it.

• 10. Re: Place images with same DPI as in Photoshop.
                            Joe_Caldwell Level 1

Thanks, HeyMikey and Bob.

I appreciate your help. From now on I will pay more attention to the Save for Web command and avoid using for files I intend to use with InDesign.

• 11. Re: Place images with same DPI as in Photoshop.
                              Michael Gianino Level 4

Joe_Caldwell wrote:

…and reduced the resolution from 300 dpi to 200 dpi.

Keep in mind that the difference in the physical sizes of the 300ppi image and the 200ppi images when placed in InDesign will depend on how you did the conversion in Photoshop. For example, a 3"x3" image at 300ppi will stay the same size if you change the resolution with Resample checked in Photoshop, but will enlarge to 4.5"x4.5" if you don't resample.

Screen shot 2013-09-25 at 1.27.22 AM.png

I don't know if the screenshot is clear enough, but the original 3x3 image has 900x900 pixels. When you reduce the resolution to 200ppi by resampling, you throw out 100x100 pixels, and the remaining 200x200 are spread across the original size of 3x3. If you don't resample, you keep the same 900x900 pixels you had origionally, but in order to distribute them into a 200ppi resolution, you have to make the physical size larger (4.5x4.5 in this case).

If you had placed the 300ppi image in InDesign and enlarged it to 4.5x4.5, it's effective resolution would show as 200ppi in the links window as Peter had described earlier. If you need 3x3 at 200ppi, you need to do it in Photoshop, but be careful not to confuse the resolution/size issue if one or the other are important to your project. Since your images were larger, you must have been converting without resampling.

• 12. Re: Place images with same DPI as in Photoshop.

To expand a bit on what Michael is saying, in Photoshop the resolution number has no meaning as far as what you see, it's only a reference for print size and for other programs to tell them a physical size to represent the pixels (and only programs that produce physical output use a physical size for representing the image -- on the web, for example, there is no resolution, only pixel dimensons, and the size you see depends on your monitor).

In Photoshop you always are looking at the actual pixels, and if you change the resolution numbers without resampling there is no change in what you see in Photoshop, only a change in the associated physical dimension numbers passed along to other programs. To InDesign, 100% means putting your image on the page using those saved numbers. The very same image data can be saved at 10 different resolutions and it will look identical in Photoshop, because the pixels are exactly the same, but you will get 10 different sized prints from Photoshop. If you place those 10 images in ID and scale them all to the same physical dimensions they will look and print identically to to one another.

The "Actual PPI" figure you see in the info panel is the number saved in Photoshop, but it is useful only as a reference for the resolution of the image at 100% which you can use as a guide to how much, and which direction, you can scale the image on the page and still be usable. The "Effective PPI" value is the resolution for output, the pixel density that is being used at the current physical size on your page, and that's the only number that matters.