4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2013 6:54 AM by A.T. Romano

The importer reported a generic error

Kenny11236

Hello, I am trying to 'get media' but for some reason, I am getting the following error message - "the importer reported a generic error". This is a new problem that I have not encountered before and is occuring even on files that I have successfully added to my project previously. Can anyone help?? Thank you.

• 1. Re: The importer reported a generic error
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What are the specs. of those files, and also, what are your Project's settings?

Do you have the latest Apple QuickTime Player?

We might need to know more about your computer too, but will touch on that later.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: The importer reported a generic error
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Kenny11236

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running. It is probably earlier than version 11 if you are referring to Get Media. What are you doing, a Get Media/Files and Folders or something else?

Do you have an extensive Elements Organizer catalog? Are you working from a converted catalog? Depending on how things go, we may try for a new catalog. But, it is too soon in the exchange of troubleshooting information to go in that direction.

Please describe in full detail the file that you are trying to import and get the generic error message. Please, give us a MediaInfo (tree view) properties readout of the specific file.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Does this generic error import issue occur with these files even in a new project?

At this point, we are assuming that you are working with some version of Premiere Elements on Windows.

Let us start here and then we can decide what next based on your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: The importer reported a generic error
              Kenny11236 Level 1

Bill

I will get this information sent over to you at the earliest opportunity. You mention QuickTime. I have recently confirmed yes, when asked if I would like to make iTunes my default player, I think a secondary box opened with player options for multiple functions. I may have confirmed iTunes as the default player for everything. Could this be a reason for the problem I am encountering? It occurs to me that this problem may have started after this.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Kenny

Sent from my iPhone

• 4. Re: The importer reported a generic error
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Kenny11236

In your next post, please include the information requested previous, including version of Premiere Elements et al.

But, for now...

Some things to check out with regard to the QuickTIme concerns...

1. If you go to Premiere Elements sharing area (Share in versions earlier than 11 and 12 or Publish+Share in versions 11 and 12) and then Computer/QuickTime, do you see all the presets for QuickTime exports?

2. You might want to do a complete uninstall reinstall of QuickTime (latest version).

More later.

ATR