8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2013 1:11 AM by pooja2087

embed long HTML snippet

Mr_Weix

I want to create a EPUB with Indesign and I want to insert HTML into it. The problem that arose was that the amount of HTML you can insert into a "snippet" seems to be limited.

I want to insert a complex website with CSS and Javascript into Indesign which was bigger than this limit. Do you know any workaround that I could use?

Kind regards,

Konstantin

• 1. Re: embed long HTML snippet
          Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

What is the size limit? Can not the html code be placed into InDesign as, say, a word doc file?

• 2. Re: embed long HTML snippet
            Mr_Weix Level 1

Hey Michael,

thanks for your answer, but I am afraid I don't understand it.

Just to clarify: I want to embed the functionality of a HTML website with Javascript and CSS to Indesign.

I don't just  want to copy the code there. The code should be executed.

I did so by choosing: Insert HTML. A window pops up prompting me to enter HTML. This window is size limited.

As for your suggestion to insert the HTML code as a word doc file: How would that work or how would that be able to execute the HTML and Javascript ??

Thanks for clarifying!

• 3. Re: embed long HTML snippet
              Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

Ah, now I understand you better. But at the same time, I don't have a deep comment. InDesign refers to snippets in two ways: xml-encoded portions of a page or spread; and portions of html code. Not that that might be confusing!

The helpfile only says this about Object > Insert HTML:

You can embed common HTML elements, such as embed codes for YouTube videos or Google Maps. You can copy the HTML embed code and paste in into InDesign.

That leads me to think that its use is limited relative to what you want to do. Are you developing epub 2 or 3? I found lots of interesting reading by googling: epub hyperlink plays iframe

• 4. Re: embed long HTML snippet
                Mr_Weix Level 1

Yes that helps me.

It allows me to insert any website into Indesign. This means though, that you would have to a have Internet connection to view this content.

I was thinking about an offline usage.

But at least that's a starting point thanks!

• 5. Re: embed long HTML snippet
                  Mr_Weix Level 1

After fiddling around with the iframe and insert HTML solution, it seems the Ipad doesn't support the HTML insert from Indesign at all.

Even a simple HTML Code like

<html>

<body>

<h1>My First Heading</h1>

<p>My first paragraph.</p>

</body>

</html>

doesn't show up on the Epub 3.0 file on the Ipad.

This is off course an issue of the Ipad not of Indesign, anyways I would like to find a way to make Multimedia rich (video, photo, html,Javascript, etc.) ebooks with an open epub 3 standard, that works on most major devices....

Ibooks Author does a great job, but only supports its own .ibooks format and only runs on the ipad.

If anybody has ideas, I would highly appreciate any input.

• 6. Re: embed long HTML snippet
                    pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Weix,

This issue is specific to iBooks that images don't show up in case of embedded html or an edge animation and it appears that nothing  works here. You can check this by opening the same epub on Readium (a reader for ebooks and is available for free on Chrome).It should work fine here.

Even a simple google map if embedded in html, won't appear on ipad so it is more of a reader issue.

Thanks,

Pooja

• 7. Re: embed long HTML snippet
                      Mr_Weix Level 1

Thanks thats true! Do you know of any similar app on the Ipad in the App Store that correctly renders epub3? I tried it with some and they all had problems.....

• 8. Re: embed long HTML snippet
                        pooja2087 Adobe Employee

You can try Kobo app on iPad. It works fine.