9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2013 10:41 AM by Jim_Simon

Non-Syncronized Multi-Camera Editing

baybarsk

Hello,

This is my first attempt at editing any video, Ièm pretty novice, please be explicit as possible

I have recorded same performance from different angles using the same camera and syncronized all the videos by looking at the audio, they are in perfect sync right now.

Now I have 5 angles of the same performance, I line them up, from Video 5 to 1. When For example I want to use Video 4 between 0:00:00 to 0:30:00 , I just use the razor tool to cut 5 out for the first 30 seconds and only 4 is displayed. When I finish this, it'll be almost what I want to look like.

My questions are: Is this the ideal way of doing things? Can I just mark i.e Video4 and can it be the only section that is played? Instead of cutting other out?

Second: I want a very brief fade in/out switching between videos. What's the ideal way of doing that? Modifying Opacity? Or can I use some type of effect.

Third: Let's say I want to use some parts of Video 5 on the bottom right corner on top of another video. How do I do that?

Thanks a lot...

BaybarsK

• 1. Re: Non-Syncronized Multi-Camera Editing
          Sandeep Singh Adobe Employee

Hi baybarsk,

Thanks for posting in adobe forums.

Answer of the 1st question :

for premiere pro CC

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/04/a-quick-walkthrough-of-editing-a-multi-camera-s equence-with-clips-synchronized-by-audio.html

2nd Question :

You have of play with opacity to get the fade in and fade out for clips.

3rd : Question:

To get the Video 5 at the bottom on the playing video you can you Picture in Picture :

Click here to see the tutorial

Happy Editing,

Sandeep

• 2. Re: Non-Syncronized Multi-Camera Editing
            Jim_Simon Level 8

2nd Question :

You have of play with opacity to get the fade in and fade out for clips.

He doesn't have to.  In fact, it's far easier to add transitions to the cuts.

Having said that, dissolving between cuts is pretty...amateur.  Straight cuts is usually the best way to go.

• 3. Re: Non-Syncronized Multi-Camera Editing
              Brett Delmage Level 1
              I have recorded same performance from different angles using the same camera and syncronized all the videos by looking at the audio, they are in perfect sync right now. 

Hi BaybarsK,

Good first start!

Now I have 5 angles of the same performance, I line them up, from Video 5 to 1. When For example I want to use Video 4 between 0:00:00 to 0:30:00 , I just use the razor tool to cut 5 out for the first 30 seconds and only 4 is displayed. When I finish this, it'll be almost what I want to look like.

My questions are: Is this the ideal way of doing things? Can I just mark i.e Video4 and can it be the only section that is played? Instead of cutting other out?

I have done exactly this myself for multi-camera performance I where I just wanted to do one or a few angle changes.

It can be quite tedious for more than a few camera switches though. Now that you have your video synced, I highly recommend that you use Premiere's multi camera feature. It can be a bit puzzling to activate the first time (or few!) but the Adobe online help is pretty straight forward, and there are many other free helpful resources, including instructional videos.

I DO recommend that you save your project as a unique filename  e.g. "MyProject-pre-multicam",then resave as your original working filename, so if you mess things up while you are learning, you can go back a major step and start again. :-)

I have done numerous (music) performance videos and muti-camera editing works well for me.

Then, after you have run through your performance and made your edits using the multi-camera monitor, your different camera clips show up as sequential clips on one track. It is then easy to go back and adjust them for perfect timing, for example, by using the rolling edit tool.

It it also easy then to just apply something like a crossfade to a cut (and adjust the timing of it) - much faster than adjusting opacity on all your 5 tracks, and easy to delete/undo if you don't like it.

Good luck!

Brett

• 4. Re: Non-Syncronized Multi-Camera Editing
                Brett Delmage Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

Having said that, dissolving between cuts is pretty...amateur.

Jim, that's nonsense. Read the original post carefuly again. He is editing performance video. A dissolve is a transition that is supportive of and the best choice for some performance video cuts.

I just used a dissolve on a current project when cutting between a tight shot of a solo pianist and a wide shot of the stage and audience. When lengthened to match the decay of the piano's note, it was perfect transition for the situation, whereas a cut would have been jarring and ...unprofessional.

Most of my transitions were cuts, but dissolves were ideal for numerous transitions too, in this performance project, and others I have done

Brett

• 5. Re: Non-Syncronized Multi-Camera Editing
                  baybarsk Level 1

Thanks a lot guys,

I did not use fade ins and outs. It looked OK without it. And I wasn't able to make multicam feature work, so it took a bit longer than it should have. PIP feaure was pretty straightforward too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPcOhBnwO3A

Let me know if you have suggestions on how I could improve it in the future? And feedback is welcome.

• 6. Re: Non-Syncronized Multi-Camera Editing
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

A dissolve is a transition that is supportive of and the best choice for some performance video cuts.

There are exceptions, I'll admit.  But given his claim to be new at this, I thought it more likely the dissolve was a 'rookie mistake' rather than an appropriate exception.

If nothing else, it's information for the OP to consider when making a decision.

• 7. Re: Non-Syncronized Multi-Camera Editing
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Awesome video!  That you playing?

Cuts were definitely the way to go.  Dissolves would have been weird.

Nice guitars, too.  Six string bass I knew about, but I never saw a seven string guitar before.

• 8. Re: Non-Syncronized Multi-Camera Editing
                        DMH79 Level 2

Agreed wholeheartedly that the use of dissolves is amateur. Ignore that. Dissolves can be a far more effective transition than a straight cut in many instances like for montages or passage of time, emotional pieces, or when the music is slow enough that it actually fuels the dissolve transition. While swipes, wipes, scrolls, etc. may be appropriate in only the most playful of videos, the dissolve can be a huge asset to an emotional piece when used carefully. I've been editing for almost 20 years and we use dissolves literally hundreds of times a week because it fits our style and fuels the video. Without it, our videos wouldn't be as effective. I've tried. However, saying all that, given the pace of the song that was played straight cuts in this case were the right choice for sure.  Nice cut! Editing is an art in that you can do whatever you want. Have fun now playing with cutting back and forth to the music even if that means the cuts are in rapid succession especially when the music is fast like that. But the guitar player in that video was good enough that even a long straight shot would have kept my attention. Great playing!

• 9. Re: Non-Syncronized Multi-Camera Editing
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

the dissolve can be a huge asset to an emotional piece when used carefully.

It's that qualifier that many people new to editing miss.