14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2016 10:23 PM by Tim Sheasby
      • 1. Re: Footnote inside a table
        Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

No, it is not possible to insert a footnote inside a table.

1 person found this helpful
        • 2. Re: Footnote inside a table
          Grazi_Baggio Level 1

Thanks for your help

• 3. Re: Footnote inside a table
            peter minneapolis Level 4

You can imitate a table-cell footnote by using a cross-reference.

Depending on what you mean by "inside a table" you'd do it a little differently, but basically, a cross-reference is the tool.

You'll need a place to type the footnote text. For a page footnote, you need a text frame you add to the bottom of the page, or an anchored frame. For the footnote to appear below the table, you can type the footnote text into the same story as the table. For a footnote within a table cell itself, you'll probably want to split the cell horizontally, and type the text into the bottom split cell.

Because InDesign's cross-references only point to paragraphs, but can't capture paragraph auto-numbers, you'll need to trick ID. Create an inline anchored frame at the beginning of the line where the footnote text will be. Assign the type Text to the anchored frame. Type the footnote number, letter, or symbol, into the inline anchored frame. Click in the story after the anchored frame and type the footnote text.

With the text tool inserted at the location where you want the footnote reference, insert the footnote with the format defined as paragraph text, and capture the fake footnote number, letter, or symbol. You'll need to create and apply a character style to the cross-reference's captured character. Usually footnote references are superscripted character, and a small-ish point size.

For details on the various techniques, search Google for terms like "InDesign character styles," "InDesign paragraph styles," "InDesign cross-reference formats," and "InDesign anchored frames," without quotes. It will take a bit of fussing until you get things to look right.

NOTE, the fake footnote numbers won't increase or decrease automatically, and they won't affect the number sequence of real footnotes.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Footnote inside a table
              Jordy_Willems Level 1

We have a different workaround then Peter.

Add a footnote just above or below the table and put the footnote reference in the text in the color NONE.

Then type the hard number in the table.

Only disadvantage: when you have to add a footnote before this 'table footnote' you have to adjust the hard number in the table manually, but the footnote number below is automatically adjusted.

2 people found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Footnote inside a table
                Grazi_Baggio Level 1

I've been using this method... but unfortunally, I'mworking on a project that has some huge ammout of text inside the table cells (Almost one row by page) and I need to insert the footnote on those rows (after the first (row and page) and before the last). But anyway, thanks for the tip.

• 6. Re: Footnote inside a table
                  Jordy_Willems Level 1

That's a pity, but I recognize your problem...

Not the most beautiful workaround, but add a new text frame where you insert a footnote.

Place that new text frame at the bottom of your page.

By the way: that's another big problem in Indesign, he won't split up cells of a table...

• 7. Re: Footnote inside a table

If you really would like to see these features in a future release of InDesign, consider filing a formal feature enhancement request here: ID-WISHFORM

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Jordy_Willems wrote:

That's a pity, but I recognize your problem...

Not the most beautiful workaround, but add a new text frame where you insert a footnote.

Place that new text frame at the bottom of your page.

By the way: that's another big problem in Indesign, he won't split up cells of a table...

• 8. Re: Footnote inside a table
                      Jordy_Willems Level 1

Thanks, already did 2 wishes today which are more important. So it's enough for now.

• 9. Re: Footnote inside a table

Good for posting your other wishes!

The more requests, the greater chance to see the feature someday.

Regarding splitting table rows across boundaries: Have you used split rows in MS Word or other application? Some folks think split rows would be good to have. I haven't seen comments on how satisfatory they are to work with. If you have had good or bad experience with them in other applications, please share a bit about your experiences. If others can see value in the feature for themselves, they'd be more likely to join your request for it.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 10. Re: Footnote inside a table
                          Jordy_Willems Level 1

Well, we work mainly for publishers, so we receive word files from them and have to layout them in a certain template (in Indesign or FrameMaker, depends on the kind of job).

Because we do a lot of juridical and academical books, we also receive large tables which sometimes run over +20 pages.

Actually no problem but MS Word does split the table rows across pages, so the author thinks it's no problem to give large rows to the layouter.

Off course, we always have to do the work by splitting them up manually, because the rows are way to big for Indesign.

It's a large job for Adobe to foresee this feature in my opinion, so that's why I don't push to fix it.

• 11. Re: Footnote inside a table

FrameMaker doesn't split table rows, either, despite many requests over many years.

My question about MS Word: Yes, I know it splits rows. What I hoped to learn is what it is like to actually work with Word's split rows in documents.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 12. Re: Footnote inside a table
                              Jordy_Willems Level 1

I know, but unfortunately I can't help you with that. It are the authors who send their manuscript to the publishers who will know how it's like to work with it. We don't have contact with them...

And indeed, FrameMaker doesn't do it either... but there you can work with table notes, Indesign doesn't know that one! But also some major disavantages about FM too... footnotes on the wrong page, doesn't split footnotes, ... sorry other discussion. I'm poluting this topic...

• 13. Re: Footnote inside a table
                                Grazi_Baggio Level 1

Same case as mine. I work at a publisher that produces a lot of academical books (PhD papers most of time) and a large ammount of authors use a lot of footnotes inside the tables... some of them choose to delet it, but others insist to them be at the correct place (InDesign places them at the end of the document).

I made a request earlier... I hope that someday Adobe implemet this feature, it is really necessary!

• 14. Re: Footnote inside a table
                                  Tim Sheasby Level 1

I am involved in a lot of annual report and sympathise with many of the issues discussed here. One workaround for very simple tables is to revert to the WA we did it 20 years ago and not use a table at all but just tab text. This can work great as long as you don't need any verticle rules in the table. Using underline, paragraph rules and paragraph shading can do a lot of the required work. won't always work but perfect for some applications.