6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2013 7:31 PM by gener7

Will my Adobe programs migrate to a new computer

coachgns

My 6 year old iMac has finally bit the dust. It won't start under any circumstances.  Fortunately, I use TIme Machine so everything is backed up.

But I am wondering if my Adobe programs, such as PS, Elements & Lightroom will properly migrate to my new computer using Time Machine?

Or will I need to find the original installation disks (recently moved & can't find the PS one, and LR & Elements I loaded online)?

• 1. Re: Will my Adobe programs migrate to a new computer
          Curt Y Level 7

You are only allowed 2 active installations.  The dead one on the computer is considered active.  Will this be a problem.

Not sure what Time Machine does.  I believe a mirror backup will work, but just copying the files will not as  many files go on the root drive.  A Mac person should give you a clue.

• 2. Re: Will my Adobe programs migrate to a new computer
            gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It would have to be a complete restore from Time Machine, the old MacOS, everything.

I've done complete restores from Time Machine with few problems.

But you can't just transfer the Adobe programs alone. There are support and configuration files from other parts of the OS that would be missing and your programs would not work.

You would need to reinstall from the discs if you find them or go to ProDesign tools for older installers.

ProDesignTools.com keeps installers for older Adobe products. You don't have to dig up discs, but you would need your serial numbers. It's why I encourage everyone to register their products with Adobe. The serial numbers will be all in one place instead of on a card or jewel case that you can't quite remember where you put it.

Gene

• 3. Re: Will my Adobe programs migrate to a new computer
              coachgns Level 1

I can do a complete restore from TIme MAchine, but the OS would be different.

WOuld my old OS overwrite the new one on the new Mac I purchase, and then can I upgrade the OS afterrestoring all my adobe programs?

Fortunately, I am registered with Adobe so do have my serial nos for PS (Vers 2!  - I wonder if that will even work on the newer Mac's - the newer PS's wouldn't work on my older Mac) & LR - for some reason, I don't have ELements registered, but I do have the box & disk from that one.

THANKS

• 4. Re: Will my Adobe programs migrate to a new computer

coachgns, I've given this some serious thought.

You would first have to boot off the recovery partition to restore from Time Machine and it would wipe your new OS and everything that came with it, iLife iWorks and so on.

You would be replacing it with older OS software and apps that would probably not play well with the new hardware. I don't want you to have more problems than you need.

For OS 10.8.5, legacy PPC apps are no longer supported.

I've only done full restore to the same hardware. You are doing this to a nice new machine and if there is an Apple Store nearby, get an appointment with them on how to best migrate everything off Time Machine to your new Mac.

As for Adobe products,only the Intel based ones can be reinstalled. Photoshop CS3 and later as an example.

Gene

• 5. Re: Will my Adobe programs migrate to a new computer
                  coachgns Level 1

My iMac is an Intel machine, not PPC.  I thought my CS2 worked for Intel? Maybe that's why it freezes my machine so badly (well, it Did when I could use my iMac)

I've contacted the Apple store nearby, and they're telling me over 2 weeks until I get an appointment at the Genius Bar. RIDICULOUS!

I certainly don't want to wipe out my nice new OS, and that's a reason I've been reluctant to restore everything from my old computer. But I also don't want to lose lots & lots of photos & documents, and my PS, LR & Elements. 

• 6. Re: Will my Adobe programs migrate to a new computer

No, CS2 (PPC) will not install on 10.8 or 10.7  It will work on 10.6.8 with Rosetta,but that's how far Apple takes it.

Wow, I didn't know the Genius Bar was that badly backlogged. Apple Phone support or a local user group might help. You do have waranty support,so maybe you can get some special consideration.

Your Photos and Documents are safe and can easily be restored. It's all gonna take patience in learning how to do so you don't have a bigger mess.   It will all be worth it.

Gene