2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2016 6:05 PM by roberth22277722

How to export audio from PPro CS6/CC to AJA KiPro?

PopGigolo

Hello everyone.

First off, let me state up front that I know all of the specs when creating a ProRes file that will playback on a KiPro.  Our shop just switched from FCP 7 to Adobe PPro, and the exports are not working, BUT I believe it's only because we don't know how to select the correct options for the export.

We can see Video, so I think we are fine on the picture side, but what I am looking for is a way to be able to get the audio codec to be these settings:

- Stereo

- Linear PCM

- 48kHz

- 24-bit

- Little Endian

I just don't know where to look for the audio settings to insure that this is really what I am exporting...  in the export media window, I have been choosing the following:

Screen Shot 2013-09-25 at 3.36.45 PM.png

I have also tried exporting the files as "Mono", but the sound continues to either not play at all or playback with what sounds like massive distortion.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

-PJ

• 1. Re: How to export audio from PPro CS6/CC to AJA KiPro?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Well, those settings will give you the first four, but the last is not a user option.  It comes out as it comes out and you can't change it.  I just don't know if it comes out as big or little.

• 2. Re: How to export audio from PPro CS6/CC to AJA KiPro?
            roberth22277722

A little late on answer... but it's a two parter. I just figured it out. The first is to set your sequence up to properly export your audio to what the AJA KiPro wants. Here's our setup for using ProRes 422 (HQ) and 8 Channel Audio (ProRes 422 would work fine too):

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 2.11.18 PM.png

Click on the Tracks tab and change the Master from Stereo to Multichannel. After that, choose 8 Channels of audio. The standard presets usually start with 4 Standard audio tracks. You will have to add 4 channels using the + sign. Make sure you set all the channels to Mono instead of Standard and pan each track Left and Right alternating per the below.

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 2.21.59 PM.png

Before saving this whole thing as a preset or creating a new sequence, make sure you set your output assignments for these 8 channels. They're treated as pairs, so tracks 1 & 2 would be mapped to 1- 2 ... 3 & 4 to 3-4 , etc. You do this by clicking the file tree icons under Output Assignments. The below may make it clearer. After that just save your preset and/or create a new sequence.

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 2.11.58 PM copy.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-18 at 2.11.46 PM copy.png

As a quick afterthought... to make your life easier while doing a KiPro export ... go to Adobe Premiere ---> Preferences---> Audio  and change the default Stereo Media setting to Mono instead of Use File before dropping any media into your project.

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 2.27.13 PM.png

Once you've got your media in and are ready to export, use the below settings in either Premiere Export or Media Encoder:

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 5.57.59 PM.png

Make sure you have 8 Mono output Channels... Premiere defaults to one Standard 1-2 Stereo channel. Change that Stereo channel to Mono and add 7 more Mono Channels to match the8 tracks in your sequence. Make sure your audio output is 24 bit. After that, you're good to go. Your file will play back perfectly on any Ki Pro deck.

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 5.58.18 PM.png