5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2013 1:12 AM by PrintFusion45 RSS

making a log print-ready in Illustrator

VenitaV

How do I make a logo, that includes an image from photoshop, print-ready in illustrator?  Do I need to do something with the image?

• 1. Re: making a log print-ready in Illustrator
          PrintFusion45 Employee Hosts

When you say print ready, do you mean to retain transparency present in the image. Or rather I would ask what exactly is your requirement here.

• 2. Re: making a log print-ready in Illustrator
            John Danek Community Member

Post a screen shot of the artwork.  Bitmaps in logos is a bad idea.  But, since you insist, here's what you need to do to prepare.  Embed the image in the file, otherwise the image has to go with the file wherever it goes or the link is broken and a preview will print ( if any ).  Use the appropriate size and resolution for output.  If the logo is going on a business card to be printed offset, make sure the resolution is around 300ppi ( high ) @ 100% final size.  And, make sure the document color space is CMYK.  But, again, not a good idea.

• 3. Re: making a log print-ready in Illustrator
              VenitaV Community Member

Printfusion, I'm new.  So, please, bear with me on this.  This is only my third client, and I'm still learning a lot.  (Yikes!) 

A client wanted an image of a little boy, which is already in her present logo along with the copy, to be updated with a different colored shirt, different hair cut, etc.   I edited the image to her satisfaction.  Then I placed the edited image in Illustrator and redid any copy to her satisfaction.  So all the changes in the logo have been completed to her satisfaction.

Then I was just going to package the completed project like I've normally done before for my clients (.eps, .png, .tiff, and a favicon/iPad/iPhone-a little extra thing) and send it to her with instructions for disbursement to the various people - printer, webmaster, herself.   Well, it DAWNED on me that probably I couldn't do that with an image included unless I outlined it and whatever else I needed to do to it first.  (I know.  Like I said, I'm just starting out.  So forgive my ignorance.) 

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.  I appreciate it!

• 4. Re: making a log print-ready in Illustrator
                VenitaV Community Member

John, I apologize for not being more specific.  I'm new at this and, obviously, confused!   

The image of the boy was already present in the logo she's been using.  She wanted me to update the look of the boy, change the font, etc.  I edited the image in Photoshop, placed it in Illustrator, changed the font style, color and size.  Everything, visually, is now good to go, but I know I need to do something to the image before packing and disbursing to the client.  I'm just not sure what it is. 

Any help at all is appreciated. Thank you!

• 5. Re: making a log print-ready in Illustrator
                  PrintFusion45 Employee Hosts

All you need to do is to check the output by exporting it to a print PDF. Use Acrobat 1.5 option from the export settings or PDF-X4 job settings which is considered to be best print settings. Check the output and later you can adjust the image according to your client's satisfaction. You can also check this article for knowing more about printing and publishing: http://www.webunie.nl/Adobe_PPG.pdf . Check the Getting output section in order to know more about how you can soft proof before seding the final output to printer.