17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2013 1:00 PM by A.T. Romano

APE 11 - Exporting Titles

Phil.com Level 1

APE 11 - I am having a problem exporting a rolling credit. I know in the older versions titles exported differently than video. I am using Publish and Share/Computer/AVI.  The exported clip is shrunk.  It is not an exact copy of the original. The output is 720 by 480, I don't see any way to change that. Preset: DV NTSC Standard.  How do I get an exact copy? Running on a PC.

Thanks.  Cheers and Peace! Phil

• 1. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What do you mean by "exact copy"?

Are you trying to save a title (.prtl) file or are you trying to save a video of your title? And are you saving this segment for use in a standard definition or high-definition video project?

• 2. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

Along with the answers to Steve's questions, I have a few more, please:

1. What are the full specs. of your Source Files?
            2. What are the full specs. of your Project's settings?

To get a duplicate of your Project's Timeline, you will want to choose a Preset (with the matching Advanced settings) in Publish+Share, that matches your Timeline. That is the reason for the above questions. It appears that you are doing a Publish+Share for NTSC DV, when that is not what you have on your Timeline.

Good luck, and please let us know more,

Hunt

• 3. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
              Phil.com Level 1

I would like to save the (.prtl) file but I don't see that as an option. That's how it worked in prior versions of APE.

Saving for standard definition project.

By exact copy I just want it to look like the original in size. It gets distributed to a group of editors in our video production club. We producr three shows per monthe and have five editors. We want the boilerplate to look the same from each editor for every show.

Thank you for you reply.

Cheers and Peace! Phil

• 4. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
                nealeh Level 5

That's under File> Export.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

In PrE 11, go to Project Assets, and Select your Title. Then, as Neale says, choose File>Export>Title, to "save" it as a Title Template, PRTL.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
                    Phil.com Level 1

Yes, that's what I had in the past with a choice to export a title. But in APE 11 that is grayed out and not functional.

Cheers! Phil

• 7. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

I think that you are missing one important step, but have probably not seen my Reply #5 yet. If you follow the step to open Project Assets, and Select your Title from that catalog, you should get File>Export, then Title - Export will not be grayed out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil.com

I would like to join the discussion with some things that probably have been mentioned, some, maybe not. Replies can be directed back in your answers to SG's initial questions. But, I would like to see the answers for troubleshooting clarification purposes.

1. Are you working with a rolling credits title created specifically in the Titler of a Premiere Elements 11 NTSC DV Standard project that you are in? If you are not in a NTSC DV Standard project, what is the project preset?

2. If so, after creating the title, are you

• closing the Titler (for closing Titler, see the two tiny arrows at top of Titler's Adjustment Palette)
                        • seeing your title on the Expert workspace Timeline (put there automatically by the Titler during the title creation);
                        • going to Project Assets and highlighting/selecting the thumbnail for that title;
                        • then going to File Menu/Export/Title.

3. In your alternative approach using Publish+Share/Computer/AVI, what are you setting as the preset to get your 720 x 480 output? Please confirm on that. I am not sure of the merits of your workaround since your associates will not be able to edit the text.

Please revisit File Menu/Export/Title and the associated details for using that to save your title as a .prtl.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
                          Phil.com Level 1

Thank you all for your kind comments and time.

You all did solve one problem, I was trying to export a title from the time line rather from the Project Assets. A very valuable piece of information.

3. In your alternative approach using Publish+Share/Computer/AVI, what are you setting as the preset to get your 720 x 480 output? Please confirm on that. I am not sure of the merits of your workaround since your associates will not be able to edit the text.

The thing is I do not want my associates editing the boilerplate, that's why I want it as an .avi file.

I am using th default presets for DV NTSC Standard.

How can I make the boilerplate non editable.  I did save it as an ,avi in the past revisions.

Thank you.  Cheers! Phil

• 10. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil,

One of the attributes of the .prtl in this instance is the capability to use and edit the title in more than one project and more than one version of Premiere Elements. That does not seem like at match between your intent and those capabilities.

If you created that title in a NSTC project then you have a 720 x 480 title.

And, that can be exported to a NTSC DV AVI Standard video clip via 720 x 480.

Publish+Share

Computer

AVI

with Presets = DV NTSC Standard to get a video of your 720 x 480 title, as a DV AVI Standard video clip.

For further clarification...

Please go to Project Assets and right click the thumbnail for the title that you just exported as a .prtl file and saved to the computer hard drive. From the pop up menu, select Properties. In Properties, what does it give for the pixel dimensions of that title file, 720 x 480 or 1920 x 1080?

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
                              Phil.com Level 1

Please go to Project Assets and right click the thumbnail for the title that you just exported as a .prtl file and saved to the computer hard drive. From the pop up menu, select Properties. In Properties, what does it give for the pixel dimensions of that title file, 720 x 480 or 1920 x 1080?

It is 729 by 480.

Cheers! Phil

• 12. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

Thanks for the information. Please confirm that there is a typing error there....that 729 x 480 is really 720 x 480?

That being the case, there should be not reason to get a shrunken 720 x 480 video if you export your title file on the Timeline via

Publish+Share

Computer

AVI

with Presets = DV NTSC Standard to get a video of your 720 x 480 title, as a DV AVI Standard video clip.

Could you give that export another look in a new project with the project preset of NTSC DV Standard?

Make sure the project is not confusing the situation by its mis-choice of project preset. So, let us do this....

Given that you have your 720 x 480 title .prtl saved to your computer desktop..

a. Open Premiere Elements 11. Go immediately to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset for NTSC DV Standard. Before you exit the new project dialog, make sure to place a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project". Close out of there. Back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders to bring your title .prtl file from the desktop into the project. Then export to a DV AVI standard file via the export route cited above.

We will watch for the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
                                  Phil.com Level 1

Thanks for the information. Please confirm that there is a typing error there....that 729 x 480 is really 720 x 480?

Sorry, Yes, that was a typo should be 720x480.  I'll get to the rest later.

Thanks.  Cheers! Phil

• 14. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
                                    Phil.com Level 1

Sorry folks, I have been tied up with another project.

Here are two pictures to show the rolling title and the resulting avi file. Is this just something I will have to accept or am I not progressing correctly.

http://www.lenihan.org/ape/

Cheers! Phil

• 15. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

That should not be something you have to except since that is not what you should be getting. I have road tested this over and over again with my Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Let us go step by step through the following

Open Premiere Elements 11

Go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset there for NTSC DV Standard.

Before you exit the new project dialog, make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

Back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, go to Text Menu/Default Roll.

Type your text. Note the Font and the Font Size. Have the text fit within the inner rectangle of the Safety Margins.

Do not apply a Style from the Style section for this test.

Close the Titler by clicking on the two tiny arrows at the top right of the Titler's Adjustment Palette.

Publish+Share

Computer

AVI

with Presets = DV NTSC Standard

Click Save.

When you see the Save Complete!, click Done.

Then in that same project, go to Add Media/Files and Folders and import that DV AVI standard into the project/Project Assets from where you drag the DV AVI to the Expert workspace Timeline next to the original rolling title.

They should appear the same.

Before, the original Rolling Title, Font Adobe Rounded MT Bold, Font Size 29

PhilBefore.JPG

After, NTSC DV AVI Standard from Rolling Title

PhilAfter.JPG

Please check this out and then let us know if there could possibly be a step that is missing between us.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
                                        Phil.com Level 1

ATR, Thank you very much for providing the test instructions. Your test resulted in both the original and the avi being the same size, just what I wanted. Somewhere along the line I got my settings screwed up. With your information it should not happen again.

Thank you again and all the helpeful people on the  forum.

• 17. Re: APE 11 - Exporting Titles
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

Thanks for the wonderful news. Glad that worked for you.

Much appreciated the follow up.

ATR