3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 7:28 PM by Tim Kurkoski

Both After Effects & Adobe Media Encode CC giving are not letting me export.

MartijnStaat

Dear All,

Both After Effects & Adobe Media Encode CC giving are not letting me export movies.

Some times they will, but after one file both programs give me the following error messages.

After effects:

“[file path and name].mov. An output module failed. The file may be damaged or corrupted. (-1610153464)"

AME:

"Can't read from source."

I've went through the forum and found threads & pages discussing the problem.

E.g.

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/08/solutions-for-problems-with-quicktime-files-in -after-effects-cc-12-0-because-of-conflict-with-dvcprohdvideoout-quicktime-component.html

&

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1252092

After following all the tips and suggestions (from deinstalling quicktime components & audio components to completely reinstalling CC) I'm still experiencing the problems.

Which leaves me in a bit of a squeeze. I need to export over 144 movies in the coming 2 days and the only way to do this is to quit and open media encoder (or AE) after each single export.

Not really an option.

Both problems have the process Adobe QT sever in common, I took this from the console:

9/26/13 1:02:44.517 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[171]: ([0x0-0x42042].com.adobe.Adobe QT32 Server.application[331]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault: 11

9/26/13 1:02:44.672 PM ReportCrash[354]: Saved crash report for Adobe QT32 Server[331] version 7.0.1 (7.0.1.0) to /Users/martijn/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Adobe QT32 Server_2013-09-26-130244_martijns-MacBook-Pro-2.crash

System information:

Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) (16gb ram)

Mac OS X 10.8.5 (12F37)

Running Adobe CC (for teams), all apps are up-to-date.

I don't no why Adobe puts out such a buggy piece of software (I know it has to with Apple's poor 32bit quicktime implimentation, but hey, this was known information no?).

Upgrading to CC has given our office nothing but problems.

Hope someone can help to find a work around until Adobe realeases a proper update and solves this problem once and for all.

All help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Martijn

• 1. Re: Both After Effects & Adobe Media Encode CC giving are not letting me export.
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Martijn,

If you open the crash log for QT32 Server, does the Thread 0 line reference com.apple.audio.CoreAudio? This is the specific crash that we investigated and wrote the blog post about.

If CoreAudio is not the causal factor, you are experiencing a different problem.

You should try the other troubleshooting steps.

For further assistance on the forum, you should provide more information about what leads to the problem:

• What QuickTime codecs are you using? What settings for the export?
          • What is the export destination?
          • When does the problem start? Are you able to successfully export at all?
          • Can you export to other formats?
          • When you launch AE and/or AME, is QT32 Server running? At what point does it stop running?
          • What component files are in your Library/QuickTime folder?
          • 2. Re: Both After Effects & Adobe Media Encode CC giving are not letting me export.
            MartijnStaat Level 1

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the really quick response!

Regarding the crash log: it doesn't reference com.apple.audio.CoreAudio (though it did before, so I followed all the steps in your blog post before I posted to this forum).

I've uploaded the crashlog to:

http://martijnlambada.com/TMP/AdobeQT32servercrash.zip

If you want to inspect it. It mentions the DXV codec (which I also uninstalled), but the crash keeps occuring. Also I need to export to DXV since it's the only codec the d3 media

server accepts (http://d3technologies.com).

I followed all the steps in the troubleshooting steps.

Codecs used: I've tried everything from animation to Apple ProRes (including: h264/motion jpeg/uncompressed). With all codecs the Adobe QT32 server keeps crashing (though I can't always reproduce).

Export destination: Internal SSD (same as where the OS is installed on) + External raid (via firewire & thunderbolt) + external HD via usb 3.0 (tried everything).

When does the problem start: Really hard to specify, sometimes a day without crashes, sometimes every export for days on end. Sometime after restarting (tried logging out, restarting, switching off and on the computer). With other programs running and with out. Now checking every process active when exporting, and comparing log files.

Can you export to other formats: See question 1, sometimes I can, sometimes not.

When you launch AE and/or AME, is QT32 Server running? At what point does it stop running?  Still runing when I open the program. It crashes when exporting (ofter after finishing the first export).

What component files are in your Library/QuickTime folder?: Currently the folowing:

AppleAVCIntraCodec

AppleHDVCodec.component

AppleIntermediateCodec.component

AppleMPEG2Codec.component

AppleProResCodec.component

DesktopVideoOut.component

DVCPROHDCodec.component

DVCPROHDMuxer.component

DVCPROHDVideoDigitizer.component

DVCPROHDVideoOutput.component

DVCPROHDVideoOutputClock.component

FCP Uncompressed 422.component

iChatTheaterPreview.component

IMXCodec.component

LiveType.component

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Martijn

• 3. Re: Both After Effects & Adobe Media Encode CC giving are not letting me export.
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Pardon the slow reply. We've been busy with After Effects World today.

Since your crash log references the DXV codec, but you have it uninstalled, I'd like to know what the next crash log looks like.

Nothing stands out in your QuickTime components set, but I would still recommend removing DVCPROHDVideoOut, only because it's a known offender.

If you can't export to a TIFF sequence, H.264, MXF OP1a, or other formats, then the problem is not isolated to QT32 Server, which is not relative to those formats. Please provide more information, and preferably a crash log, for when those formats fail.